Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Tool Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the RAGE Tool Kit is now available on Steam for those that want to work on modifications or other new content for RAGE, id Software's recent first-person shooter. Here's word, which notes these are "complex and aimed towards 'technically sophisticated and adventurous' modders":

Later today on Steam we will be releasing the official tool kit for RAGE – the same tools used to create RAGE and it’s DLC, The Scorchers. From the game’s world building tool, idStudio, to game maps and assets, the kit provides everything you need to get started with modding the first-ever idTech 5 title.

Interested? Before you start downloading the hefty 35+ GB file, the RAGE team has provided some documents to read. As described in the welcome document, these tools provided are complex and aimed towards “technically sophisticated and adventurous” modders.

Welcome to the RAGE Tool Kit

RAGE Tool Kit FAQ and EULA

To download the kit itself, be on the lookout for the RAGE Tool Kit in the Tools section of Steam (the same place you’d download Skyrim’s Creation Kit).

On behalf of everyone at id, we look forward to seeing your creations. If you have something to share, shoot us an email or share it with our id Software Facebook and Twitter accounts.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 14, 2013, 14:17 descender

Imagine a GTA game with RAGE's vehicle physics? Brutal.

It's not hard to imagine at all They called it GTA 4.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 11, 2013, 14:48 Redmask

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 13:24:
I specified free hosting, not affordable. There's a difference Bit torrent works for some things, but not everything.

BitTorrent is free and works just fine for most applications where large scale traffic requirements are concerned. If it's good enough for most of the world to distribute large size movies and games, it will do just fine for 4GB maps. The question is will anyone bother investing time into Rage SDK work to distribute. The file hosting part is the least of the problems.

68. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 11, 2013, 13:24 Dev

Redmask wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:25:
Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 23:38:
kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:48:
while say 4-8 GB is huge for a single map, it's not terribly hard to get a file of such size hosted these days.
Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.

BitTorrent makes this a non-issue, there's also AWS and many other affordable hosting providers.
I specified free hosting, not affordable. There's a difference Bit torrent works for some things, but not everything.

67. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 18:25 Redmask

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 23:38:
while say 4-8 GB is huge for a single map, it's not terribly hard to get a file of such size hosted these days.
Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.

BitTorrent makes this a non-issue, there's also AWS and many other affordable hosting providers.

66. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 16:32 Dev

Kawlisse wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 10:15:
Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:48: ''Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.''

Split the file in multiple smaller files !
That works for some things yeah. But not everything.

65. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 Kawlisse

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:48: ''Please tell me where its feasible to get those kinda single file sizes freely hosted for the traffic that a mod is likely to bring.''

Split the file in multiple smaller files !

64. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 07:20 Dev

Quboid wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 07:13:
kyleb wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 03:05:
See here for example's sake.

Not really the best example, I hope.

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.
But I appreciate the link. I didn't realize such a mod existed for hl2. The fileplanet one is an old outdated version, but it makes me want to try it.

63. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 07:13 Quboid

kyleb wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 03:05:

Not really the best example, I hope.

Note: FilePlanet is no longer being updated and is in the process of being archived.

- Quboid

62. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 10, 2013, 03:05 kyleb

61. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 23:38 Dev

60. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 19:48 kyleb

I wasn't suggesting anyone will retexture the base game. That would be an absurdly large project, and significantly improving the texture quality would require more like a 40-80 GB download. However, some people are bound to make custom maps for the game simply because it's the only one that offers moders the opportunity to work free from the confines of traditional texturing, and while say 4-8 GB is huge for a single map, it's not terribly hard to get a file of such size hosted these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 20:23.

59. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 19:18 Dev

kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:54:
That said, with the toolkit released I'm sure some people will make maps with amazing up close texture detail, but even on a small map such texturing will require multiple gigs of data.
I'd be surprised if anyone bothered. This is way late in the game, most people have moved on to other games/projects. The number of modders and mods is directly related to how popular the game is. Rage isn't nearly as popular as something like skyrim or oblivion.

Plus, they'd have to re-texture probably from scratch, using tools that are not only hard to use, they take up large amounts of disk space and enormous amounts of time to actually use them?

Where could you even host a high res texture pack for the game if it was 20 or 30 gb? And how many people would actually still be interested in getting at this late date? Especially downloading such a huge pack?

If they are looking to make a name for themselves, they'd be much better off making some assets for wasteland 2. There, they'd not only get paid, but get their names in the credits for the final game. And it wouldn't be a horrible pain to work with.

58. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 16:07 Redmask

kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:54:
No, that's not the issue, I've been reading the thread as it's been going.

I know about the lack of high resolution source textures and have a roundabout knowledge of megatexture, it was already mentioned. I was talking about why people thought there was a high resolution texture pack coming at some point, regardless of if it possible or not. Whether that stems from a miscommunication or poor reporting is anyones guess. No need to get so 'upset' about it

Hope someone mods the vehicle physics so cars perform less like horrible RC toys and more like badass, properly-weighted machines.

The current vehicle physics make driving around a chore, rather than fun.
And half the game is driving.

I thought it felt like a tacked on feature and just wanted no driving at all.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 16:18.

57. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:54 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:12:
We know, you're playing catch up with the thread here
No, that's not the issue, I've been reading the thread as it's been going.

Fion wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:13:
The texturing technique relies even more heavily on available memory than traditional texturing, and with consoles that resource is thin at best.
Nah, actually with virtual texturing avalable memory only limits how well the can textures look in the distance, as can be seen in the screenshots here. Making the textures looks notably better up close simply requires more significantly more disk space, and the game is already pushing reasonable limits on that as is. That said, with the toolkit released I'm sure some people will make maps with amazing up close texture detail, but even on a small map such texturing will require multiple gigs of data.

56. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:37 netnerd85

siapnar wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:34:
IMO vehicles should never have been apart of RAGE. Took the focus away from other areas such as some kind of Deathmatch MP mode.

55. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:34 siapnar

Hope someone mods the vehicle physics so cars perform less like horrible RC toys and more like badass, properly-weighted machines.

The current vehicle physics make driving around a chore, rather than fun.
And half the game is driving.

I have projectile dysfunction.

54. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:32 Beamer

Fion wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:13:
It seems to me the one and only reason for the texture issues in Rage is the simple fact that thanks to Bethesda, it was a console-focused game. The texturing technique relies even more heavily on available memory than traditional texturing, and with consoles that resource is thin at best. So the quality of the mega-textures over-all was reduced 'specifically' to make the game playable at high framerates on consoles.

I think if we see a PC focused game using the technique, we'll really get to see the technology shine. Even in Rage IMHO the graphics were largely amazing, the gameplay was very tight and the animation system was revolutionary. The only thing I didn't like about the game was the cut-off ending.

And you know this was due to Bethesda and not id... how?

Given what others are saying about Carmack's interests, it's pretty much impossible to tell what was id and what was the publisher. Is Carmack really uninterested in PC? Then it was probably id. Is that not true? Then maybe it was id, maybe it was the publisher.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

53. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:24 Verno

The invisible blocking (they weren't really walls, just weirdly placed blocks everywhere) was definitely cumbersome. I like to get off the beaten path and explore every nook and cranny, I ran into them all the damned time. It's really annoying seeing something cool over the horizon or a room that you just get blocked off by.

Generally speaking, I've found that how much a person spent on Rage largely corresponds with their feelings about it. Most of the Steam Sale types seem to think its pretty good for $5-15, I haven't seen many people who think it was a good deal at $60 though.

Anyways it's all academic, we might never see a followup since it really underperformed and id is working on internal engine and support tools for the rest of the company now.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

52. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:13 Fion

It seems to me the one and only reason for the texture issues in Rage is the simple fact that thanks to Bethesda, it was a console-focused game. The texturing technique relies even more heavily on available memory than traditional texturing, and with consoles that resource is thin at best. So the quality of the mega-textures over-all was reduced 'specifically' to make the game playable at high framerates on consoles.

I think if we see a PC focused game using the technique, we'll really get to see the technology shine. Even in Rage IMHO the graphics were largely amazing, the gameplay was very tight and the animation system was revolutionary. The only thing I didn't like about the game was the cut-off ending.

51. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:12 Redmask

kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:01:
Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 14:23:
I don't really care, if it was promised or otherwise I think the game could have certainly used it.
The thing is, the game can't rightly use a high res texture pack like has been done for other games, because Rage doesn't use the traditional texturing methods those games do. So it's rather absurd to get upset about what was never reasonably possible, let alone ever actually promised.

We know, you're playing catch up with the thread here, these things have already been talked about. I'm not getting upset about anything, I just said the game could have used them. Some people don't care about the trade off, some people do, maybe they should have considered the possibility that some people would notice during development.

Pathetic they are crying loudly about something out of the way, and such a non-issue, I mean seriously.

@theyarecomingforyou, you obviously don't play many games at all if you think invisble walls are not part of every day gaming. Every FPS game has at least one collision issue. Just stop exaggerating.

Sure other games have them, they just try to obfuscate them. It's a valid complaint, I ran into them too. They might not have annoyed me as much as him but they're not hard to find. I think they are more glaring in a very picturesque, open world style setting. That's not the game RAGE was necessarily trying to be but they do try to paint that picture.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo