Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Tool Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the RAGE Tool Kit is now available on Steam for those that want to work on modifications or other new content for RAGE, id Software's recent first-person shooter. Here's word, which notes these are "complex and aimed towards 'technically sophisticated and adventurous' modders":

Later today on Steam we will be releasing the official tool kit for RAGE – the same tools used to create RAGE and it’s DLC, The Scorchers. From the game’s world building tool, idStudio, to game maps and assets, the kit provides everything you need to get started with modding the first-ever idTech 5 title.

Interested? Before you start downloading the hefty 35+ GB file, the RAGE team has provided some documents to read. As described in the welcome document, these tools provided are complex and aimed towards “technically sophisticated and adventurous” modders.

Welcome to the RAGE Tool Kit

RAGE Tool Kit FAQ and EULA

To download the kit itself, be on the lookout for the RAGE Tool Kit in the Tools section of Steam (the same place you’d download Skyrim’s Creation Kit).

On behalf of everyone at id, we look forward to seeing your creations. If you have something to share, shoot us an email or share it with our id Software Facebook and Twitter accounts.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

10. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:53 Sho

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:46:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:37:
That was the excuse. Carmack talked up how the 200GB of textures had to be compressed down and optimised for 1080p, then he claimed that after looking at the higher resolution versions they weren't actually much (if any) better quality and scrapped the idea. It's all bullshit. The game tanked and it clearly wasn't cost effective for him to support it.

Is that what happened? I thought they had included some updated textures in one of the patches which got rid of the eye sore ones for the most part.

No. One of the later patches included a "Texture Sharpness" checkbox that roughly does the equivalent of the Photoshop "Sharpen" effect on all of the (otherwise unchanged) textures, i.e. a faux detail pass to give the textures some more, well, texture. It's pretty pathetic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:46 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:37:
That was the excuse. Carmack talked up how the 200GB of textures had to be compressed down and optimised for 1080p, then he claimed that after looking at the higher resolution versions they weren't actually much (if any) better quality and scrapped the idea. It's all bullshit. The game tanked and it clearly wasn't cost effective for him to support it.

Is that what happened? I thought they had included some updated textures in one of the patches which got rid of the eye sore ones for the most part.

The game was shit because it was designed to run at 60fps on consoles.

Hey man, as a guy who paid $60 and preordered, I really didn't like Rage much but I think calling it outright shit is a bit harsh. Call it average and unambitious, call it conflicted and design by committee but shit is a bit much, especially when the complaints are just centered around the visuals.

They released the SDK, maybe not in a great state but they followed through on that and people should be encouraging that kind of behavior.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

8. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:13:
I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...

Did they REALLY say they didn't bother to have the stuff at higher resolutions so can't produce one? WTF? Then why promise one? Did you guys really make the textures at just near console res and have no larger originals?

The game was shit because it was designed to run at 60fps on consoles. In order to do that they had to drop dynamic lighting, gut the texture quality and make objects with incredibly low polygon counts - it's why the game includes fucking sprites.

Carmack destroyed his reputation with RAGE.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

7. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:37 Creston

Yay, so now the 1 people still playing RAGE can take 3 years to figure out how to make a mod and then release it for himself!

Oh well, at least they actually did release it, like they promised. 18 months later.

Someone needs to explain to id how the game industry works.

Creston

6. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:33 LittleMe

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:19:
Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?

They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. Stupid maybe, but not a coward. You're splitting a great team. You and the RAGE editor... Think of the possibilities!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:28 Rattlehead

T
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:05:
Too little, too late.
I hate people like you. Would it be better off they didn't deliver an sdk at all? Stop complaining you little brat and shut up.

4. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:19 Mad Max RW

Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?  

3. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:13 Dev

I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...

Did they REALLY say they didn't bother to have the stuff at higher resolutions so can't produce one? WTF? Then why promise one? Did you guys really make the textures at just near console res and have no larger originals?

Not exactly showing off your engine very well if the textures suck. I thought that was the main point of the engine, to have great textures that get auto adjusted to keep up framerate.

2. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 21:05 theyarecomingforyou

Too little, too late.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

1. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 20:53 Verno

Well it took forever but kudos to id and Bethesda for following through with it. I sincerely hope there are still some modders who will make good use of it, would be really interesting to see what users come up with in that engine.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo