Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Tool Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the RAGE Tool Kit is now available on Steam for those that want to work on modifications or other new content for RAGE, id Software's recent first-person shooter. Here's word, which notes these are "complex and aimed towards 'technically sophisticated and adventurous' modders":

Later today on Steam we will be releasing the official tool kit for RAGE – the same tools used to create RAGE and it’s DLC, The Scorchers. From the game’s world building tool, idStudio, to game maps and assets, the kit provides everything you need to get started with modding the first-ever idTech 5 title.

Interested? Before you start downloading the hefty 35+ GB file, the RAGE team has provided some documents to read. As described in the welcome document, these tools provided are complex and aimed towards “technically sophisticated and adventurous” modders.

Welcome to the RAGE Tool Kit

RAGE Tool Kit FAQ and EULA

To download the kit itself, be on the lookout for the RAGE Tool Kit in the Tools section of Steam (the same place you’d download Skyrim’s Creation Kit).

On behalf of everyone at id, we look forward to seeing your creations. If you have something to share, shoot us an email or share it with our id Software Facebook and Twitter accounts.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

30. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 08:10 netnerd85

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 07:42:
Then there were the gameplay issues, like a virtual useless autosave implementation, insta-death if you explored freely, terrible AI, invisible walls (they were EVERYWHERE), the terrible vehicle physics, crude inventory system, etc.
What are you talking about? You can save any where you want. The auto save feature is fine. insta-death for exploring freely? WHAT? where?

Terrible AI? huh? each clan acts differently. Are you blind?

Invisible walls? Bullshit. There are walls. They are visible. Clearly.

Crude inventory system? What? I'm sorry. WHAT! have you seen other systems like... Skyrims for instance. That's terrible. There is NOTHING wrong with the inventory system in Rage, NOTHING at all.

"Here's your sign."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 08:02 pagb

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 07:42:
My brother bought it for me as a birthday present and I played it day one. There were terrible issues with stuttering, texture streaming and glitches. Then there were the design issues, like the terrible quality textures (seriously, max quality), low polygon objects and dodgy lighting. Then there were the gameplay issues, like a virtual useless autosave implementation, insta-death if you explored freely, terrible AI, invisible walls (they were EVERYWHERE), the terrible vehicle physics, crude inventory system, etc. And of course there's the way that Carmack fucked over the PC community, with mod tools (promised at release) and higher resolution textures (which he said a) existed, and b) were going to be tested as a DLC pack). Finally you have the huge amount of hype.

There were more problems with it than there were redeeming features. Some parts were entertaining - and I managed to complete it - but overall it easily ranks as a shit game.
Your complains are still centered in visuals, so Verno is still right. The visual glithces you show, are Ati's... the texture streaming is a lot worse in borderlands 2... there are racing games with wrose physics... the gameplay "issues" you mention are mostly standard quirks in nowadays FPSs (console FPSs ported for PC ofc). But any other than that, people were unexpainable expecting too much from this game, didn't anyone play doom3? It didn't bring anything new into the scene! And don't tell me "Willits said that" or "Carmack said what"... all the previews and promises made by devs nowadays are pure bs. I remember a chat were Willits said "We have shotguns", I mean... really?

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 07:36:
I'm just repeating what the official documentation says. And in case you have to know: 8GB. I had the patience to rebuild AvP1 from scratch with tools that had no official documentation whatsoever. But I do not have patience for most of my modding time devoted to loading a single map. I don't think I'd put up with that if you paid me let alone do it as a hobby.
I know, things like that and having built stuff for older fpss, that's the reasons why I respect modders so much. But still this offering is a lot better than EA's or Activision's mod tools

28. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 07:42 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:46:
Hey man, as a guy who paid $60 and preordered, I really didn't like Rage much but I think calling it outright shit is a bit harsh. Call it average and unambitious, call it conflicted and design by committee but shit is a bit much, especially when the complaints are just centered around the visuals.
My brother bought it for me as a birthday present and I played it day one. There were terrible issues with stuttering, texture streaming and glitches. Then there were the design issues, like the terrible quality textures (seriously, max quality), low polygon objects and dodgy lighting. Then there were the gameplay issues, like a virtual useless autosave implementation, insta-death if you explored freely, terrible AI, invisible walls (they were EVERYWHERE), the terrible vehicle physics, crude inventory system, etc. And of course there's the way that Carmack fucked over the PC community, with mod tools (promised at release) and higher resolution textures (which he said a) existed, and b) were going to be tested as a DLC pack). Finally you have the huge amount of hype.

There were more problems with it than there were redeeming features. Some parts were entertaining - and I managed to complete it - but overall it easily ranks as a shit game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 07:36 Mad Max RW

pagb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 07:00:
Has "not enough ram" written all over it... How much ram you got?

I'm just repeating what the official documentation says. And in case you have to know: 8GB. I had the patience to rebuild AvP1 from scratch with tools that had no official documentation whatsoever. But I do not have patience for most of my modding time devoted to loading a single map. I don't think I'd put up with that if you paid me let alone do it as a hobby.

26. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 07:00 pagb

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:19:
...But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes.

Has "not enough ram" written all over it... How much ram you got?

25. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 06:17 Reckless

The tool kit isn't for me as I never bothered to buy the game. It does seem odd to release it so long after the noise has died down - no-one talks positively about Rage (didn't much on release either)!  

24. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 05:38 saluk

Virtual Texture really is (well, could be) the way of the future. But it's easy to see the role it played in damaging RAGE. Taking hours to see changes in a level is going to slow down content production to a halt. The dev systems couldn't have been very stable either. It must have been a pain in the ass to work on this stuff. Now the modding community can suffer too

The problem with new technology is it always comes with the tool issue.

Ok you know what, I'm DEAD wrong. There was this game a while back, I think it was called Doom 3. It had this new unified lighting that took away the step of designers trying to painstakingly get lighting right and generate lightmaps. Just throw some dynamic lights in there, move them around until it looks good, and you are good to go.

Of course there were sacrifices in rendering technique from that, but at least it didn't cripple their ability to make a decent game.

They left that problem to their design decisions.

23. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 04:00 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:53:
Well it took forever but kudos to id and Bethesda for following through with it. I sincerely hope there are still some modders who will make good use of it, would be really interesting to see what users come up with in that engine.
Agreed. It's very late, but it's better late than never.
Soulburner wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 03:49:
Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?

John Carmack did say they are using a 300 core renderfarm for that purpose. Remember, you are not dealing with standard textures here, that's gigabytes of data that needs to be uncompressed. No matter how much you might dislike how Rage looks, it's a totally different technology to UE3 or CE3.
Indeed. It has been no secret that idTech 5 requires a ton of baking to produce the runtime assets. I don't think most people realize just how much baking that it until they see it in action though. After all you're basically breaking down every texture to a fixed size JPEG2000 image. JPEG2000 isn't fast to encode for to begin with, though that's in part due to the lack of meaningful work put into optimizing compression speed there.

In any case, developers may have to get used to this. Epic hasn't said a ton about UE4, but there's been some speculation in light of the recent console speculation that it's going in a similar direction (leveraging AMD's virtual texture tech).

22. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 03:49 Soulburner

Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?

John Carmack did say they are using a 300 core renderfarm for that purpose. Remember, you are not dealing with standard textures here, that's gigabytes of data that needs to be uncompressed. No matter how much you might dislike how Rage looks, it's a totally different technology to UE3 or CE3.

21. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 03:17 netnerd85

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:37:
Yay, so now the 1 people still playing RAGE can take 3 years to figure out how to make a mod and then release it for himself!

Oh well, at least they actually did release it, like they promised. 18 months later.

Someone needs to explain to id how the game industry works.

Creston
I used to think you were alright, a pretty sane gamer, but you've just been saying stupid shit after stupid shit lately. Did you hit your head or something?

You're just spraying hate everywhere now. Sad

20. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 01:10 Panickd

edaciousx wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 23:24:
Come on guys, better than nothing.... this tool kit probably would not have been released if Carmack didn't push for it. Seriously, do you guys think bethesda would have done this if it wasn't for Carmack?

I mean seriously now, cut him some freaken Slack here. Yea Rage wasn't all that great..... Cant' expect every company to make an incredible game every time they pump one out.

A: You're honestly suggesting that Bethesda wouldn't have actively pushed for a mod toolkit for Rage even though they themselves have actively produced such toolkits for their last four games.

B: I don't give a shit what anyone says, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing Rage. But then I did not shell out $60 for it on release.

19. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 00:49 Redmask

kyleb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 00:39:
Dev wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:13:
I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...
Did you actually find any such promise? I recall people misinterpreting a comment from Carmack to suggest as much shortly after the game came out, but I'm pretty sure no one at id ever actually promised a high res texture pack.

I don't have a link to it and its 1:00am so I'm not going to hunt it down, this is just from memory. He didn't say the words I promise but its in reference to a prerelease interview where they were getting close to release and Carmack mentioned that the PC version would be getting better textures after release. No one knows if this was an off the cuff thing that was misunderstood or what happened because this wasn't actually possible since the source files themselves were not created at a higher resolution. This lead to him later making a twitter post talking about how they were trying to do some sort of upsampling/detail pass for some of the blurrier ones.

18. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 00:39 kyleb

Dev wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:13:
I just googled for info on that promised high res texture pack...
Did you actually find any such promise? I recall people misinterpreting a comment from Carmack to suggest as much shortly after the game came out, but I'm pretty sure no one at id ever actually promised a high res texture pack.

17. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 23:34 Sho

Come on guys, better than nothing.... this tool kit probably would not have been released if Carmack didn't push for it. Seriously, do you guys think bethesda would have done this if it wasn't for Carmack?

Why not? Modding is a significant element of the success of Bethesda's own Elder Scrolls games. This isn't a modding-unfriendly company.

I'm not so certain Carmack actively pushed for this release, actually. He was fairly down on modding for id Tech 5 games IIRC.

I mean seriously now, cut him some freaken Slack here. Yea Rage wasn't all that great..... Cant' expect every company to make an incredible game every time they pump one out.

Between Doom 3 and Rage, id has now established a pattern of making highly polished games that are essentially lazy, uninspired and very cautious retreads of elements previously implemented in other company's games. Now, I own both of them, and I enjoyed both of them - the parts of Doom 3 in which you play against mostly-human enemies were really good, and likewise Rage was a really solid FPS in its best moments - but if you examine id's recent history critically I don't think you can honestly say there aren't problems afoot there. It's a company with tremendous experience and execution ability, but it's not sparking creatively, and not taking any risks.

16. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 23:24 edaciousx

15. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 22:38 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 22:34:
Actually a good combined pre luma + SMAA + post luma sharpener with contrast recognition can not just give faux detail but increase contrast of low contrast bits and not touch high contrast bits (basically, it brings texture detail out without breaking it) and it fixes the blurryness of SMAA without breaking the jaggies out again. But to use this properly you need high detail textures. THe higher the better. ON the crap they called textures in Rage you can't bring out detail, because there is none.

Just saying because a good sharpener makes all the difference in the world. And can make games look incredibly good. (Especially those with a crappy blur or DOF)

Fair enough, yeah - but the post-processing they implemented in the Rage patch really mostly just comes out as a very noticable, uniform noise pattern across all surfaces. Superficially this does distract from the gooey appearance of upscaled lowres assets, but it's also pretty eye-tiring and fucks with suspension of disbelief even more than low-res textures do at times. It really wasn't a successful attempt - the game looks better without it enabled.

14. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 22:34 eRe4s3r

Actually a good combined pre luma + SMAA + post luma sharpener with contrast recognition can not just give faux detail but increase contrast of low contrast bits and not touch high contrast bits (basically, it brings texture detail out without breaking it) and it fixes the blurryness of SMAA without breaking the jaggies out again. But to use this properly you need high detail textures. THe higher the better. ON the crap they called textures in Rage you can't bring out detail, because there is none.

Just saying because a good sharpener makes all the difference in the world. And can make games look incredibly good. (Especially those with a crappy blur or DOF) It also doesn't flicker (which is kinda important) because transparency edges are (usually) high contrast and thus not sharpened) if they are not high contrast, then they won't flicker even if sharpened.. which is why you need a 2 pass sharpener.

13. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 22:16 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 22:05:
My mistake, yeah that does suck. I don't get why they wouldn't just repack some of the game files and throw it into a torrent for the people who cared, that seems really lazy.

According to post-release interviews and his own twitter, Carmack says there is no high resolution texture pack to release. They'd have to hire the artists who made the textures and tell them to remake everything with their original reference images. That would probably take a couple years.

12. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 22:05 deadearth

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:46:

Hey man, as a guy who paid $60 and preordered, I really didn't like Rage much but I think calling it outright shit is a bit harsh. Call it average and unambitious, call it conflicted and design by committee but shit is a bit much, especially when the complaints are just centered around the visuals.

They released the SDK, maybe not in a great state but they followed through on that and people should be encouraging that kind of behavior.

I agree. It was a very fun game that had bad graphical oddities. The outdoor scenes were beautiful and some of the nicer looking scenes I've seen in a game. Indoor, or looking at something very close at all and it looked downright terrible. I still had a blast up until the game just suddenly ended. Did the guy at Id that knew how to make final bosses leave before they started designing Rage?

11. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 8, 2013, 22:05 Verno

Sho wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:53:
No. One of the later patches included a "Texture Sharpness" checkbox that roughly does the equivalent of the Photoshop "Sharpen" effect on all of the (otherwise unchanged) textures, i.e. a faux detail pass to give the textures some more, well, texture. It's pretty pathetic.

My mistake, yeah that does suck. I don't get why they wouldn't just repack some of the game files and throw it into a torrent for the people who cared, that seems really lazy.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo