Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Tool Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the RAGE Tool Kit is now available on Steam for those that want to work on modifications or other new content for RAGE, id Software's recent first-person shooter. Here's word, which notes these are "complex and aimed towards 'technically sophisticated and adventurous' modders":

Later today on Steam we will be releasing the official tool kit for RAGE – the same tools used to create RAGE and it’s DLC, The Scorchers. From the game’s world building tool, idStudio, to game maps and assets, the kit provides everything you need to get started with modding the first-ever idTech 5 title.

Interested? Before you start downloading the hefty 35+ GB file, the RAGE team has provided some documents to read. As described in the welcome document, these tools provided are complex and aimed towards “technically sophisticated and adventurous” modders.

Welcome to the RAGE Tool Kit

RAGE Tool Kit FAQ and EULA

To download the kit itself, be on the lookout for the RAGE Tool Kit in the Tools section of Steam (the same place you’d download Skyrim’s Creation Kit).

On behalf of everyone at id, we look forward to seeing your creations. If you have something to share, shoot us an email or share it with our id Software Facebook and Twitter accounts.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

50. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:09 netnerd85

Quboid wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 14:18:
Pathetic that they are taking about that as an invisible wall, or pathetic that that's in the game?
Pathetic they are crying loudly about something out of the way, and such a non-issue, I mean seriously.

@theyarecomingforyou, you obviously don't play many games at all if you think invisble walls are not part of every day gaming. Every FPS game has at least one collision issue. Just stop exaggerating.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:01 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 14:23:
I don't really care, if it was promised or otherwise I think the game could have certainly used it.
The thing is, the game can't rightly use a high res texture pack like has been done for other games, because Rage doesn't use the traditional texturing methods those games do. So it's rather absurd to get upset about what was never reasonably possible, let alone ever actually promised.

48. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:53 saluk

Geez, it's been a while since I watched video of the game. It still looks amazing in the right scenery. Really, you are right. That one thing isn't a big deal. None of the mistakes made in the game are THAT big of a deal on their own. But so many issues...

If they had split the difference and used VTs for bigger areas and traditional texturing for detail work, I think people would have complained a lot less. If they had put as much effort into the second half of the game as they did in the first, most people who played it through to the end would at least have better memories of the experience. The the environments had actually FELT as open as they LOOK.

If, if, if, if, if. What a hot mess.

47. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:25 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 13:57:
Is this it? If that is the type of thing you guys are talking about, thats fucking pathetic.
Yeah, that's what we're talking about - except most were a lot more obvious than that. And you're right, it is pathetic that a modern game would implement them so crudely. Everywhere you went there were invisible walls preventing you from going where you'd be able to in any other game. No other game I can think of featured invisible walls so obvious and so numerous - not even games like Half-Life, released over 14yrs ago.

Was it a big deal on its own? No. Combined with all the other shit? Absolutely. id Software has absolutely no idea what constitutes a good first person shooter any more, despite them effectively creating the genre. It's rather sad.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:23 Redmask

No, that's just cherry picking a small one. There are many and they're all over the place. I don't have the game installed anymore and I'm not making a youtube video for a forum conversation but I can think of several in the first area you go right after you get picked up for example. Try climbing up to the higher floors then going back down through a shortcut, you can't even scale a waist high railing due to invisible walls.

It's not a huge deal to me, it's just a minor complaint amongst others but acting like they don't exist is either luck or denial. This is something reviewers noted too, it wasn't just people who you seem to think unfairly hate the game. I don't hate the game, I thought it was ok but not much more than that.

Yeah, again, I'm pretty sure you're just referring to lame attempts at journalism like this one, which misinterprets what Carmack actually said.

Maybe but I thought it was in a specific interview, not at QuakeCon. I don't remember though and this was a few years ago so whatever. I don't really care, if it was promised or otherwise I think the game could have certainly used it.

45. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:19 kyleb

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 00:49:
He didn't say the words I promise but its in reference to a prerelease interview where they were getting close to release and Carmack mentioned that the PC version would be getting better textures after release.

Yeah, again, I'm pretty sure you're just referring to lame attempts at journalism like this one, which misinterprets what Carmack actually said.

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 00:49:
This lead to him later making a twitter post talking about how they were trying to do some sort of upsampling/detail pass for some of the blurrier ones.
They did that in the 1.2 patch.

44. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 14:18 Quboid

Pathetic that they are taking about that as an invisible wall, or pathetic that that's in the game?  

- Quboid

43. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 13:57 netnerd85

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 13:49:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 10:27:
I have played the game for 43 hours.

Where is one invisible wall?
Wall2

I can respect differences of opinion but not outright denial of basic, well-documented facts.
lol, seriously, I can't think of any... has the definition changed since the late 90's or something? All I can think of are the areas blocked by rubble

If you can't even name one...

[Edit]
Is this it? If that is the type of thing you guys are talking about, thats fucking pathetic. I mean, seriously lol.

42. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 13:49 theyarecomingforyou

Wall2

I can respect differences of opinion but not outright denial of basic, well-documented facts.

41. W A N T Feb 9, 2013, 13:00 Orphic Resonance

Quboid wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 12:40:
deqer wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 11:25:
it's annoying to have to deal with a late release of something

So ... don't? How big a chore is it to read this story, shrug and move on?

how big a chore is it to choose raw leafy greens over a grilled juicy steak? or how big a chore is it to choose a busted 50-year old hooker over a nubile 20-year old beauty queen?

thinking like that might help a bit

some people want to be annoyed.. some people want to be confused..

sweet dreams

40. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 12:40 Quboid

deqer wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 11:25:
it's annoying to have to deal with a late release of something

So ... don't? How big a chore is it to read this story, shrug and move on?

- Quboid

39. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 11:29 Orphic Resonance

RAGE sucked big time.. and it seems like the majority opinion on the PC side of things is less than favorable (no, not talking about metacritic), but that is most likely due to the expectations surrounding Id... if the game was from some no-name developers, it would have been regarded more favorably IMO  

38. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 11:25 deqer

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:28:
T
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:05:
Too little, too late.
I hate people like you. Would it be better off they didn't deliver an sdk at all? Stop complaining you little brat and shut up.
You never heard of the expression "Too little too late." ? It's a common expression, and it it's perfectly acceptable for someone to say it.

Yes, it would be better if they didn't release one at all, because it's too late, thus it's annoying to have to deal with a late release of something that is practically dead already.

Company should've finished their homework first before releasing/rushing stuff out the door so they could make a quick buck.

37. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 Kajetan

Soulburner wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 09:54:
Tim Willits may be a good lead designer ...
Considering Doom 3 and Rage ... no, he's not. He is absolutely better at this job than i ever will be, but he's nothing more than an average game designer, who ended up working at id, where people like John Romero and others defined ego-shooter gameplay for a decade. So is id. Average. Nothing special anymore. Just one of many, many videogame companies, making average videogames.

36. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 11:16 Redmask

Google will reveal some invisible walls and there are some on Youtube as well, this is something more than a reviewers noted about the game too. He wasn't alone in this, I found plenty in the game. I'm not super angry about it but they were there and seemed out of place in a game that presents open vistas. I was also insta killed a few times because I went somewhere I was apparently not supposed to be. It only happened twice but it was extremely frustrating when it did.

I thought RAGE felt very dated mechanically but I only paid 5 bux for it so my expectations aren't as high as people who paid a lot on release.

35. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 10:47 pagb

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 08:41:
The game was hyped on its visuals, so it's only fair that it be judged by them. As for texture streaming, it's certainly not worse in BL2.
The game was hyped over megatexture, they never talked about making 15 passes per frame ala BF3.

Worse than Borderlands 2? Sure. Regular day in borderlands 2:
- You open a crate, there is money inside.
- The money texture HORRIBLY streams in.
- You walk 2 feet, open another crate, there is money inde, same model as before.
- The money texture HORRIBLY streams in AGAIN.
Dude, we don't have 128mb vram anymore, we can hold all of that lazy cartoon textures at once in our graphics cards.

RAGE was a backwards step from Doom 3 in many respects - it didn't have dynamic lighting, dynamic skies, as high quality textures, etc.
Doom3 with better textures? No. People bitched about them back in the day with stupid nose sticking screenshots like they did with RAGE. At least RAGE looks fantastic as a whole, and runs good even with older hardware, which doom didn't.

Yeah, heaven forbid that a developer include the mod tools that they SAID were going to be included. Fuck you. If you want to suck on Carmack's man-juice then that's up to you but don't pretend to be slightly objective about the matter.
You should thank them for releasing the mod tools, very few AAA developers do it anymore. A year has passed and the game was ill received, yet they still went on with that. Skyrim tools also took a while, yet I didn't see you raging around.

34. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 10:27 netnerd85

You clearly didn't play the game much.

Where is one invisible wall? Closed doors? sure. Blocked area by rubble, yes? almost every game has some sort of boundary except for the rare exception such as Minecraft.

I explored every area. Went off the dotted line track and was never, once insta-killed. The enemies aren't that tough, even the vehicles while on foot.

And the rest of what you said is just dribble.

33. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 09:54 Soulburner

Rage, of course, has many things that could have been done differently:
- invisible walls in some areas. There could be some visible obstacles there to make it more obvious the player should not go there
- killed enemies don't leave weapons. The weapon models disappear.
- the minor pseudo-RPG thing could have been done a little differently. Why the need to press "enter" so often when "talking" to NPCs? If we'd have dialog options then sure.
- the storyline was weak and simply unfinished
- static world, physics limited only to ragdolls and two or three crates

There are only two or three areas in the game in which you get instantly shot if you walk a different path than the intended. They're at the begining of the game as some sort of a tutorial.

There are many good things about the game, though:
+ solid first person shooter gameplay. The last time I had so much fun with a shooter was back in the days of Quake 2
+ one of the best ragdoll physics I've seen
+ diversified maps and enemies. I have not seen any other game like that
+ level of detail: when you move closer to something you saw in a distance, you don't see the models changing its level of detail or suddenly popping before you. Everything you see is simply there.
+ when you stop watching the textures too closely, you start to notice they are awesome in overall. So even if Rage might not be considered the best demonstration of virtual textures it's a great future for artists.

The Mod Tools are late... very late. John Carmack complained about it at least a few times on twitter. Tim Willits may be a good lead designer but he's very poor at interviews. It is also the first id game built by a much larger studio. Doom 3 and earlier were developped by like a dozen people. This time, there were around a hundred (or more) - some miscomunication may have occurred and made Tim Willits 100% sure the mod tools would be ready at launch.

32. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 08:41 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 08:10:
What are you talking about? You can save any where you want. The auto save feature is fine.
The game autosaves at very irregular intervals, meaning those who don't abuse the quicksave function are penalised significantly more than in other games.

Invisible walls? Bullshit. There are walls. They are visible. Clearly.
You clearly didn't play the game if you didn't notice the invisible walls.

insta-death for exploring freely? WHAT? where?
If you go off the dotted path on the mini-map you are frequently killed, which I found out the hard way. Take the very beginning of the game, for instance - if you choose to walk around rather than get in the vehicle then BOOM, insta-death. When you first get a vehicle if you choose a different path to the one shown then BOOM, insta-death. You clearly didn't play the game much.

Terrible AI? huh? each clan acts differently. Are you blind?
Acting differently != good AI. The AI is very whack-a-mole, it's so predictable. That's exacerbated by the level design, which barely gives you anything other than a corridor to walk along. The AI was hyped up but was actually worse than most contemporary games.

Crude inventory system? What? I'm sorry. WHAT! have you seen other systems like... Skyrims for instance. That's terrible. There is NOTHING wrong with the inventory system in Rage, NOTHING at all.
Fuck man, are you married to Carmack?

pagb wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 08:02:
Your complains are still centered in visuals, so Verno is still right. The visual glithces you show, are Ati's... the texture streaming is a lot worse in borderlands 2...
The game was hyped on its visuals, so it's only fair that it be judged by them. As for texture streaming, it's certainly not worse in BL2.

the gameplay "issues" you mention are mostly standard quirks in nowadays FPSs (console FPSs ported for PC ofc). But any other than that, people were unexpainable expecting too much from this game, didn't anyone play doom3? It didn't bring anything new into the scene!
RAGE was a backwards step from Doom 3 in many respects - it didn't have dynamic lighting, dynamic skies, as high quality textures, etc.

And don't tell me "Willits said that" or "Carmack said what"... all the previews and promises made by devs nowadays are pure bs. I remember a chat were Willits said "We have shotguns", I mean... really?
Yeah, heaven forbid that a developer include the mod tools that they SAID were going to be included. Fuck you. If you want to suck on Carmack's man-juice then that's up to you but don't pretend to be slightly objective about the matter.

31. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 08:15 Redmask

Invisible walls? Bullshit.

No, he's right, Rage is filled with invisible walls in both the mission areas and the wider open world segments. Do they impact on the game? It's going to depend on the player, I certainly noticed them but I had many other problems with the game.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo