Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling

The Diablo III Forums have word that the upcoming preliminary PvP support in Diablo III has been renamed from Dueling to Brawling, to more accurately reflect the lack of meaningful outcome that a duel implies. Here's on this change in the upcoming version 1.07 patch for the action/RPG:

After reviewing feedback from the PTR, we've decided to rename dueling to brawling—a title we feel is much more fitting for the system. Rather than wait to announce this in the official patch notes, we wanted to let players know ahead of time, in part to reduce confusion and in part to explain the reasons behind the change.

While the system we designed for 1.0.7 was developed in order to give players a fun way to beat each other up in Diablo III, we've come to realize that "dueling" wasn’t the best name for it. Sure, it allows players to pummel, stomp, immolate, and hex fellow Nephalem (over and over again, if they so choose), but it's not a traditional one-on-one duel. It’s something much more wild and open-ended, where you can engage in 3-person and even 4-person free-for-all skirmishes with few restrictions. The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it. But again, that’s not really dueling; it’s brawling!

There's a lot of power in a name, and we think that the idea of a brawl more accurately describes the system we created. Heck, the NPC we added is even called Nek the Brawler, so we feel this re-branding must have been foretold in one of Deckard Cain’s prophecies. :)

This change will be reflected in the patch notes, as well as in all related game text fields once 1.0.7 ships. We’ve no further changes planned for brawling at this time, but we’re excited to see what kind of havoc players will wreak in the Scorched Chapel once the patch is released.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 15:48 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 13:47:
Just chiming in, Ni No Kuni is very much like Dragon Quest 8, it's even created by the same company (Level 5). The familiar AI sucks and it has some grindy elements but its a JRPG so *shrug*. I really enjoy it and I thought DQ8 was about the same. It's nothing earth shattering though, I wouldn't go buy a PS3 for it or something.

Already got a PS3 so I am good there. Thanks for the input, sounds to me like I should add it to my price watch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2013, 15:46 mag

Redmask wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 11:20:
Rigs wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 09:46:
Are there any big-budget 'Triple-A' titles anymore that actually haven't been effected by the apparent SUCK permeating the industry lately? Seriously, WTF has happened to all the good games/franchises in the last two years? NONE of them can seem to pull off anything equal to what they did previous, much less EXCEED it! Are we supposed to put all our hopes with 8-bit-wannabe indie titles to gives us a quality experience now?

Fresh blood. A lot of the up and coming designers were raised on different kinds of games than us and that shows in the final result when they try to remake old franchises. There's also a focus on financial results before creative quality, games are being drawn up as business models instead of entertainment.

I don't think it's all bad though, we've seen a lot of great games over the past three years too. I think the perception is skewed because many old games are being rebooted and people feel pretty strongly about that when they fuck up.

Agreed. There's a lot of garbage out there, and lots of remakes and sequels lately have made me grouchy, but I've had no shortage of good games to play.

21. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 15:18 Fion

The poison that is the modern-day WoW live team has clearly seeped into the open wound that is Diablo 3. Is it any wonder both games are dying.  

20. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 13:47 Verno

Just chiming in, Ni No Kuni is very much like Dragon Quest 8, it's even created by the same company (Level 5). The familiar AI sucks and it has some grindy elements but its a JRPG so *shrug*. I really enjoy it and I thought DQ8 was about the same. It's nothing earth shattering though, I wouldn't go buy a PS3 for it or something.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

19. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 13:23 Jivaro

Malachii wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 12:17:
I defend this game non stop, but I have to agree this you guys, who the hell care what it's called? I stopped playing a few weeks ago to wait for 1.07 to finish off the last few paragon levels, and them I'm out until more content comes. Honestly, not much else left to do at this point for me. I got my $ worth no doubt, but I have a stack 1.5 feet tall of console titles I have been neglecting and Ni no Kuni is calling my name :-) Oh, and also unloaded my Activision stock I've had for years at 13.5 because of the earning reports.

When you finish Ni no Kuni I want to hear what you think of it. Japanese RPGs and I have a complicated relationship filled with a few disappointments and very few enjoyable experiences. I did like Eternal Sonata for PSP, Dragon Quest 8 for PS2, and Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light for PSP...if that helps in terms of a measuring stick. All of those games I found to have fun gameplay mixed with some entertaining storytelling. On the opposite side I found White Knight Chronicles to be terrible. Poor camera, poor storytelling, terrible pacing, and crappy cinematics.

That is about the extent of my experience with JRPGs however, so it isn't just complicated..it is also short. That probably contributes to my resistance to jump into Ni no Kuni.

18. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 12:17 Malachii

I defend this game non stop, but I have to agree this you guys, who the hell care what it's called? I stopped playing a few weeks ago to wait for 1.07 to finish off the last few paragon levels, and them I'm out until more content comes. Honestly, not much else left to do at this point for me. I got my $ worth no doubt, but I have a stack 1.5 feet tall of console titles I have been neglecting and Ni no Kuni is calling my name :-) Oh, and also unloaded my Activision stock I've had for years at 13.5 because of the earning reports.  

17. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 11:59 Verno

deqer wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 11:20:
Who fucking cares?

Really, who the hell cares?

We just got news that Blizzard finish another piece of their unfinished homework, renaming Dueling to Brawling. Isn't that enough already for you to realize that this company and game is shit and you shouldn't be thinking about it or asking questions about it. Move on.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was asking the question, so obviously I care. Do I need to make a picture book so that you can follow along? If you don't care, that's wonderful, stop clicking on Diablo 3 posts and "Move on".

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

16. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 deqer

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:54:
I haven't really been following the PvP stuff too much, do players get to bring in their own characters/items or do they play with templates?
Who fucking cares?

Really, who the hell cares?

We just got news that Blizzard finish another piece of their unfinished homework, renaming Dueling to Brawling. Isn't that enough already for you to realize that this company and game is shit and you shouldn't be thinking about it or asking questions about it. Move on.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 Redmask

Rigs wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 09:46:
Are there any big-budget 'Triple-A' titles anymore that actually haven't been effected by the apparent SUCK permeating the industry lately? Seriously, WTF has happened to all the good games/franchises in the last two years? NONE of them can seem to pull off anything equal to what they did previous, much less EXCEED it! Are we supposed to put all our hopes with 8-bit-wannabe indie titles to gives us a quality experience now?

Fresh blood. A lot of the up and coming designers were raised on different kinds of games than us and that shows in the final result when they try to remake old franchises. There's also a focus on financial results before creative quality, games are being drawn up as business models instead of entertainment.

I don't think it's all bad though, we've seen a lot of great games over the past three years too. I think the perception is skewed because many old games are being rebooted and people feel pretty strongly about that when they fuck up.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2013, 09:46 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

13. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 03:35 Turglar

Who cares, I'm playing Path of Exile instead of this turd.  

12. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 23:28 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:54:
I haven't really been following the PvP stuff too much, do players get to bring in their own characters/items or do they play with templates?

their own

11. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 23:10 Cutter

They should have wen with dewling. It's more leet.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 22:28 Glykon

Idiots  

9. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 22:21 Jivaro

In related news, my kids have announced that when they are taking money out of my wallet I am no longer to call it "stealing" but instead I am to refer to it as "subtracting". They feel it is a title much more fitting to the system. There is a lot of power in a name and stealing conveys a sense of illegality. Subtracting on the other hand better describes what they are actually doing since I am not actually pressing charges against them. There are no actual changes to what is being done, simply to what I am to call it.  

8. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 22:12 LaxerFL

"The system is all about letting players fight for the sake of fighting—you don’t need to worry about objectives, rewards, or scoring, and that’s exactly what we love about it."

I read that as, "We couldn't be bothered to make objectives, rewards, or scoring, so we are going to pretend this is how we wanted it all along."

I can't believe I'm about to say what I about to say but, I FUCKING hate Blizzard now... For years all they did was make THE best games. Every release was another groundbreaking blockbuster of a game that I knew I would be playing for a very long time. Now, I look at what they've done to franchises I loved and I hate them for it!

Just stop making games Blizzard. You have ruined everything good about your games so just stop.

7. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 21:53 RaZ0r!

Is this the patch that makes the game fun?  

6. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 21:44 nin

Diablo 3 launch now called Learning Experience

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 21:42 Kosumo

Path of Exile Now Called Real Free Diablo III  

4. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 8, 2013, 21:40 mag

This is an overly-critical over-analysis from me. But when a game dev starts worrying this much about the 'branding' of an in-game mechanism that has existed in the series under that name for over ten years--trouble is a-brewin'.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo