Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced

SEGA announces a Season Pass program for Aliens: Colonial Marines, the first-person shooter from Gearbox Software that's due next week, saying this will offer four upcoming DLC packs for almost 40 percent less than the cost of purchasing them individually. The announcement also includes word on the first DLC release, confirming yesterday's report that this is called Bug Hunt, and is due in March. Here's word:

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (February 8, 2013) - SEGA® of America, Inc., SEGA® Europe Ltd., Gearbox Software and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products announced today a Season Pass promotional program for their highly anticipated release of Aliens™: Colonial Marines on February 12, 2013 worldwide.

Customers who purchase the Season Pass at participating retailers online or in store will receive all four upcoming pieces of downloadable content, which will feature new campaign as well as multiplayer content, for PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® and STEAM for $29.99/£19.99/€29.99/$29.99/2400 Microsoft Points. The Season Pass will give gamers access to all four upcoming packs of DLC, as they become available, at almost 40% savings over the individual purchase of the content.* SEGA, Gearbox Software and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products are set to announce further details on the content and release dates of the downloadable content soon. Additionally, the companies announced the game’s first post-launch downloadable content. Scheduled for March 2013, Aliens: Colonial Marines’ first additional content pack, “Bug Hunt” will throw players into an all-new multiplayer mode where they have to take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies in three brand new maps based on environments from the ALIENS film.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will bring new levels of bone-chilling suspense and adrenaline-filled action to the renowned franchise, as the authentic addition to the ALIENS franchise canon. The game’s stunning visuals and adrenaline pumping action will deliver a breathtakingly immersive four-player drop-in drop-out cooperative campaign and expansive competitive multiplayer with four different modes (Escape, Survivor, Team Deathmatch and Extermination). Providing an innovative, asymmetrical competitive multiplayer experience, Aliens: Colonial Marines lets players fight in first person as the ultimate badasses – the United States Colonial Marines - or in third person as the universe’s deadliest killers – the Xenomorphs. Plunging into familiar and new environments from the iconic film franchise, players will have to fight the fear and face the true horrors of the ALIENS universe.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be available in stores across the globe on February 12, 2013 on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. A release date for the announced Wii U™ version will be revealed at a later time.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 21:02 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:20:
Getting away from the larger drama for a moment, one thing that bugs me a bit is when people claim others can't judge something based on preview material.

It's worse on the Gearbox forums. There's actually people saying you can't judge the game until after the first couple of patches. They convinced themselves A:CM will be great with "a little more polish." It's scary because this kind of thinking is infectious. So what was Gearbox doing the last 7 years? If they couldn't pull it off with multiple year-long delays then what good is a few more weeks and months going to do?

For a short while this will wake up a lot of people. But then the next shiny thing will come along repeating the same old shit and all is forgotten.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:46 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:20:
Getting away from the larger drama for a moment, one thing that bugs me a bit is when people claim others can't judge something based on preview material. That's the whole purpose of preview material, to get you to judge and hopefully buy the product before its released. To act like people can't form opinions or have expectations based on it is absurd, that's the purpose of it in the first place. It's glorified advertising, not an ancient manuscript that needs to be authenticated. We aren't handing out review scores, it's just opinions or thoughts.
Exactly. I can usually tell from preview media whether I'm going to enjoy a game or not and right now I'm not liking what I'm seeing. There's no way I'll be preordering it but I'll check out the user comments upon release and might pick it up on sale if the response is positive.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

56. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:20 Verno

Getting away from the larger drama for a moment, one thing that bugs me a bit is when people claim others can't judge something based on preview material. That's the whole purpose of preview material, to get you to judge and hopefully buy the product before its released. To act like people can't form opinions or have expectations based on it is absurd, that's the purpose of it in the first place. It's glorified advertising, not an ancient manuscript that needs to be authenticated. We aren't handing out review scores, it's just opinions or thoughts.

I want every game that I look at to be awesome because I love playing awesome games but it just doesn't shake out that way.

There's maybe a handful of games that don't have their entire forum thread start out bashing the game, the developer, people who buy it, or all three

I think sometimes anything perceived as negative gets lumped in with the trolls and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I do think that there are some people who do a lot of baiting because they know it'll get responses and it is a problem.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2013, 20:37.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

55. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:17 PHJF

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:21:
I'm just going to crank up Aliens on blu tonight.

I have the fuckin quadrilogy box set with like 5000 discs on DVD so I can't really justify a move to BRD...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

54. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:16 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:42:
I don't click on everything here so maybe I've just been missing it but I don't think theres an epidemic of people doing that.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember. There's maybe a handful of games that don't have their entire forum thread start out bashing the game, the developer, people who buy it, or all three. It's definitely not unusual to see a thread about a game where someone decries the stupidity of anyone who would buy something here, especially for console ports and MMO's.

Hell, I only post here because people disagree with me on practically everything (you can't learn much on a forum where everyone shares the same opinion as you, after all). I've lost track of the number of threads I clicked on to talk about a game, though, and just said screw it because it was just another whine tasting event.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game coming out soon but I'll wait on the season pass and DLC to see if the game is really worth digging into that much first.

53. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:12 Bhruic

Trevellian wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:29:
You want to base your opinion on videos? Go for it, I wouldn't begrudge any of you this. That doesn't give you the right, or even make it necessary for you in any way, to tell those people who feel differently, that they are wasting their money and somehow ruining your PC gaming experience by playing it.

Get off your high horses.

Speaking of getting off high horses... If you want to talk about "rights", what right do you have to tell people what they can and can't say? The only one with that ability around here is Blue. And as far as I know, other than the 4 forum rules, there's nothing stopping someone from presenting their opinion.

Some people thought that spending $20 buying a virtual mount in WoW was a good use of money. I consider that a waste of money. I also think that is helping degrade the PC gaming experience. And I have no trouble saying it. However, to throw a quote out - that's just, like, my opinion, man. Me thinking it's a waste of money doesn't make it a waste of money, because it's not my money.

Your idea that somehow we aren't permitted to post our opinion if it might hurt someone's feelings is just silly. Maybe people should stop perceiving an attack on a game as an attack on them.

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:04 Bhruic

Krovven wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 16:15:
Sucks don't it Darks? For pointing out the obvious, that the Blues forums are a community filled with people that just want to hate games and attack the people that like them. Being attacked for merely liking a game that the inbred heathens here hate, simply based on a few trailers they've seen.

By all means, point out where he got attacked for liking the game. Hell, point out where anyone on these forums gets attacked for liking a game. It doesn't happen, so you can't. People get attacked, if you want to use that term, for being douches. Like you are being. And like Darks was being from his first post in the thread. If you can't handle people disliking a game you like, posting stupid shit like "Oh gee, another thread for everyone to sit in and bitch about the game" doesn't help anything. And getting "attacked" for making such a stupid post shouldn't be any surprise.

It's also amusing that Verno, who I don't always agree with, is the only one of the three of you that's actually maintained a civil tone and discussion. So maybe you (and Darks) should spend less time being hypocrites, and more time, well, not being douches.

51. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 19:42 Redmask

Trevellian wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:29:
This is the way people should be. Unfortunately most aren't. As I had a discussion with Verno yesterday. I told him, I feel most people on this forum at this point, want to belittle others for spending money on a game they think they'd enjoy. They want to cry "it's people like you who allow developers to keep releasing this crap", when they have never played the game and are judging it based on videos.

You want to base your opinion on videos? Go for it, I wouldn't begrudge any of you this. That doesn't give you the right, or even make it necessary for you in any way, to tell those people who feel differently, that they are wasting their money and somehow ruining your PC gaming experience by playing it.

I don't click on everything here so maybe I've just been missing it but I don't think theres an epidemic of people doing that. Can't you just ignore the odd idiot doing that or tell them off? That Darks guy tried to yell at me about the game and I told him off and put it behind me, it didn't ruin or affect my perception of it.

I don't know why people can't just post their thoughts without fighting but people are still arguing about the same soccer and football teams however many years later so I just accept that people suck and try to talk to the ones who don't.

I'm gonna go watch Aliens, interesting chat guys goodnight.

50. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 19:29 Trevellian

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 15:01:
What I don't get is what's this bickering is really good for?
What if some people doesn't like the games I like? I couldn't care less.

Regarding Aliens: Colonial Marines, I did not see a single reason to get this game, but if someone is a fan of the franchise or had a chance to play the preview and really liked it, by all means buy it and enjoy it. Won't change a thing for me one way or another.

If after the game is out and I will hear a lot of positive feedback from people playing it I will take another look, but until then, best of luck for them with the release.

This is the way people should be. Unfortunately most aren't. As I had a discussion with Verno yesterday. I told him, I feel most people on this forum at this point, want to belittle others for spending money on a game they think they'd enjoy. They want to cry "it's people like you who allow developers to keep releasing this crap", when they have never played the game and are judging it based on videos.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

49. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 19:23 Redmask

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:21:

Me too, consolation prize. No don't get mad anyone, not that kind of consolation

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 19:21 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 19:19 DangerDog

Krodge wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:53:
This game way overpriced where I am. Its $99 USD and then another $40 USD for the seasons pass.
Maybe I'll get it when they release a GOTY at a bargain bin price. But I still have 50 other games I still need to play, so probably not.

Australian?

See my post #23 how to get the game for $30

46. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:56 Redmask

Parias wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:48:
Actually, re-reading your post, I think this does fit what you're trying to say. This is also a major reason why I hate just about everyone on the internet and understand why most developers tend to avoid their own messageboards like the plague. The way average feedback goes these days, you would think that every single game that that is ever released is a horrible failure and that everyone should just give up on trying to make games.

That's what I was trying to say. Every game released now is the blinding crack of an angels asshole or its the devil himself trying to steal your wallet. You can't just say 'i like this game but..' anymore, people will actually get mad if you they don't see you as being on their side. You also can't really get away with 'i dont really care for this game but i do like these things about it'. You will inevitably get hostile responses or shouted down by people who go to extremes and fight with eachother.

That is why half of the people here think that everyone hates their thing for no reason and the other half thinks they are just deluded fans jerking off. They're both wrong. It happens to everything now, everywhere on the internet and it's dumb.

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:53 Krodge

This game way overpriced where I am. Its $99 USD and then another $40 USD for the seasons pass.
Maybe I'll get it when they release a GOTY at a bargain bin price. But I still have 50 other games I still need to play, so probably not.

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:50 Shataan

I am of the camp that says... "this looks freaking amazing, and this and this and this....". "But this this this and this??? WTF were you thinking Randy Pitchford and Co.?".

I don`t see there being 2 camps. Ie... Camp Hate, or Camp Love. It is the same with peeps who spout the truly old and tired... "I`ll take great gameplay over great graphics". Knock knock... hellooo???? You CAN have both. Having great visuals doesn`t mean great gameplay becomes a victom. Same with great gameplay....

If a game looks great, that means the Visuals Artists did their job. If it suxors gameplaywise, that means the gameplay designer should be fired.

As for A CMs, altho I haven`t played it yet the footage I have watched was pretty revealing. AVP 2010 doesn`t have anything to worry bout. ;p Especially the 2010 AVP multiplayer.

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:48 Parias

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:19:
Remember being a child? You liked Nintendo so you didn't buy a Sega. Maybe your friends grinded you a bit at school but that was about it.

A little off-topic, but I always feel like I'm in the minority when I say that this has never been the case for me. I've never had any kind of hard-core brand favoritism like that; it was just that all the different gaming platforms had games different available. I didn't really see any significant pros or cons to any of them; it was all down to whatever game I wanted to play at the time.

Which is pretty much the same case at it is now; I never understand why people get so bent out of shape with comments about Xbox being "better" than the PS3 or vice-versa (for example). Maybe I'm just in a unique position though because I happen to own all of the major consoles and whichever one I use at the time is the same deal - down to whatever particular games I feel like playing (less of a consideration now given the propensity towards multi-platform releases). I don't really see one as being better than the other overall, although certain features on one platform may be better-implemented (and the other way around).

I'm the same way about games these days as well - I don't understand why people *have* to hate Hawken and love Mechwarrior Online, for example - why can't people enjoy both based on their own individual merits? Or, if one or the other happens to not quite fit one's tastes, why do they always have to go out of their way to declare the game "shitty" and without any redeeming merit whatsoever?

Actually, re-reading your post, I think this does fit what you're trying to say. This is also a major reason why I hate just about everyone on the internet and understand why most developers tend to avoid their own messageboards like the plague. The way average feedback goes these days, you would think that every single game that that is ever released is a horrible failure and that everyone should just give up on trying to make games.

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:28 Mad Max RW

That's pretty interesting, Redmask, but I don't think it's a new phenomenon or exclusive to video games. You can find the same irrational blind loyalty in politics, religion, movies, books, whatever. Anywhere people converge to form an almost hive mind community. The internet puts a magnifying glass on it and provides a new outlet. Until somebody like Randy Pitchford leads their die-hard fans to mass suicide they should all be regarded as little more than temporary amusement.  

41. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:25 Jivaro

Red went deep like Troy Polamalu

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:19 Redmask

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:50:
Maybe other people want to weigh in based on what they've seen, what's the problem with that? Why do only the positive people get to weigh in on preview material or leaked content? So your liberal misuse of the word hate aside, if they were just saying "FUCK THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!" that would be alright but since they don't like what they see, that's not? There wasn't a press black out, there's been a lot of material for people to judge.

This is really dorky psychobabble so feel free to skip it. It's a really fascinating and scary development in modern culture. Video games and the industry have created these cults of personalities by involving the public in the development process and through marketing. Remember being a child? You liked Nintendo so you didn't buy a Sega. Maybe your friends grinded you a bit at school but that was about it. You heard about games once or twice before release, maybe on a BBS or in a magazine. Now things are much more complicated, the developers and publishers are accessible to the public thanks to the internet. Exposure is massive and everywhere thanks to advertising. People start to feel personally involved in the process and attach emotions like loyalty or even bitterness towards the brands.

I complained about a bug on a forum a few weeks ago in a game that I think is fantastic. I don't have anything against the game or its developers, I think its a pretty fetching game but I received a really hostile response from someone who blamed it on my biases and expectations. Think about that, a simple bug turns into a personal vendetta. It's like game theory, that person has devised a strategy to discredit and essentially labelled me an enemy because we don't see eye to eye. Look at this topic, someone here actually floated something I would qualify as a paranoid delusion in response to a few gamers disagreeing with them. We can't have our own thoughts about a game, they are binary judgments that people will remember and evoke strong emotional responses. It's as if landing one way or the other will damage their personal taste and public image.

What I'm saying is that there are people who only think of it in love or hate terms. That's why you see games with sycophants and haters just like movies and sports teams. It's a cultural phenomenon wrought by the internet. Maybe you're more balanced but some people do just click expecting to read lovey dovey junk or to dump on others.

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:10 Mad Max RW

In related news Daikatana is now available on GOG.  

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo