Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50

Gamesbeat sat down with Gearbox Software's Randy Pitchford to discuss Borderlands 2, and say they plan to publish the entire conversation next week. In the meantime, they have posted a portion of the interview where they explore their agenda of getting the level cap raised, as it remains at 50 after three DLC releases, as opposed to the original Borderlands, which had two level cap increases. Randy admits they didn't plan very well for the cap raises in the original role-playing shooter, calling them mistakes. He then frankly admits they didn't really plan for an increased cap in the sequel either, which is why they are not repeating their mistake, and are still approaching how to raise the cap, saying: "Itís a big challenge. Itís a big undertaking. Itís not going to just turn on. Itís a thing we have to work ourselves through." Here's more, including an indication that console limitations may play a part in this as well:

Thatís by design. Some of those things start to become game-breaking. This has actually created a huge problem for us. We designed the skills really well this time, but we did, for better or for worse, make a lot of the decisions with the knowledge that there will be no more skill points available to put into any trees after you reach level 50. We knew the impossible configurations. Some of the design exploits that. Some of the impossible configurations, if they were possible, would break the game. Sometimes very literally. ďOh, thatís gonna blow memory. Your Xbox will crash.Ē

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:52 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:46:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:07:
Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:02:
Shineyguy wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 09:51:
Well then fuck the console players. I'm not limited by this shit with my 16GB of memory. Hell, you wouldn't be limited at 4GB.

Great you've got 16GB. Fantastic.
You're in the minority - less than 8% of users. Over 60%, according to Steam Stats, are at 4GB or less. Can you say with 100% confidence that the issue Randy is discussing wouldn't crash their games?

Even with your 16GB, it sounds like "blow memory" isn't "take a whole lot of it" but "eat it up like a memory leak," meaning that you 16GB would last longer, perhaps only split seconds longer, before also getting destroyed.

I disagree with your assessment of blow memory. Consoles have a criminal amount of memory. It's very easy to go over it. 4GB Is lightyears ahead of the 512mb that's on current consoles.

Consoles are low on memory these days, true. They also have far less memory overhead.

Hell, FireFox right now is taking up 76% of my RAM (I maybe should close some tabs.) Consoles don't have issues like that.

I see, you mean, not only do consoles have low memory, they can't even have firefox running at the same time. :p Seriously, it in no way is a negative to have the ability to run more things at once on PC. Just close some apps to free memory. And if memory is full, there's swapping. You effectively have almost infinite memory.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:46 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:07:
Well then fuck the console players. I'm not limited by this shit with my 16GB of memory. Hell, you wouldn't be limited at 4GB.

You're in the minority - less than 8% of users. Over 60%, according to Steam Stats, are at 4GB or less. Can you say with 100% confidence that the issue Randy is discussing wouldn't crash their games?

Even with your 16GB, it sounds like "blow memory" isn't "take a whole lot of it" but "eat it up like a memory leak," meaning that you 16GB would last longer, perhaps only split seconds longer, before also getting destroyed.

I disagree with your assessment of blow memory. Consoles have a criminal amount of memory. It's very easy to go over it. 4GB Is lightyears ahead of the 512mb that's on current consoles.

Consoles are low on memory these days, true. They also have far less memory overhead.

Hell, FireFox right now is taking up 76% of my RAM (I maybe should close some tabs.) Consoles don't have issues like that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:41 ItBurn

It's a failure of design if when you reach the cap you have "all skills" and are just like every other character. You plan in advance a system that works. A good excuse may be lack of time/funding, but again, planning.  

7. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:35 nin

Doesn't sound like very good planning at all on GB's end...with 4+ DLCs coming, how could then not forecast this?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:27 InBlack

Which one!!?? which one Alamar!?? Oh do tell!!  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:08 Alamar

Sounds like a bug, which would be silly : )

As for the level 50 cap, people complained a lot about how you'd end up with 'all the skills' in the first one, so having a lower, hard, cap, makes sense... Your 'build' requires more choice, even if you're not locked in. Ironic I don't see that complain with BL/BL2, as it's a #1 gripe with another action RPG recently released ; )

-Alamar

4. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:07 ItBurn

3. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 10:02 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 09:56 ItBurn

Console hardware limiting game content and gameplay, impossible! It's a conspiracy made by people who think that only graphics are important.

It's good to finally have a real dev comment on that.

1. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 09:51 Shineyguy

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo