Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced

Slitherine Ltd announces Buzz Aldrin's Space Program, which they say will be the "ultimate game of space exploration" when it is released for Windows, OS X, and iPads this June. We'll hope this will include a special moon landing skeptic punch-out mode, but that's not included in the following feature list:

• Manage all aspects of your fledgling space agency from the 1950s through to the Lunar landings in the first episode. Later episodes will add a permanent space station in Earth orbit all the way to the ultimate goal a Manned Mission to Mars!
  • Create space programs and launch missions inspired by real programs such as the X-15 Space plane and the Sputnik satellite through to the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo manned spacecrafts and more!
  • Research and develop hundreds of mission components from 40 different program categories.
  • Develop your facility with advanced structures and upgrades including the Vehicle Assembly Building, the Mission Control Center and the Observatory.
  • Recruit and train astronaut candidates and assign them to missions.
  • Assemble an elite team of Scientists, Engineers, Technicians and Flight Controllers for the best chance of success.
  • Manage your agency's extensive budget.
  • Components can cause catastrophic failures. You must decide whether to abort or push on with each mission.
    Vast amounts of research ensure the huge database includes missions that launched and many more that never left the drawing board!
  • In Campaign Mode, manage your agency while pandering to the requirements of government to keep your position as Director!
  • Play in Sand Box mode to manage your budget with no politics involved.
  • Hundreds of components built in 3D and rendered out in exquisite detail allow you to follow the progress of your missions.
  • A historic advisor gives background information on the real missions and astronauts throughout the game.
  • Designed in consultation with Dr. Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 Lunar Module Pilot and the second human being to set foot on the Moon.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:34 eRe4s3r

Mhh, fair enough. Though I think the physics in KSP are the main reason to play these kind of games

And hey, more space sims is always good. Even if this one takes the "SIM" part out and only leaves management in.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 13:14 Orogogus

Historical accuracy goes hand in hand with realism, which is a plus, too.

From Kerbal's website:

- Take on Missions to attract interest in your Space Program. Or use the Mission Planner to create your own missions.
- Manage your Space Program. Hire astronauts, train them, research and improve parts.
- Build Space Stations, and surface bases on other worlds.
- And a whole lot more!

From the limited information available, it seems possible or likely that KSP won't have the pandering to government bullet point or component failure, and it probably won't be out in June. But the big thing would be not messing around with physics. Obviously not a feature if that's what you're looking for, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect an audience for the pure management game.

19. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 12:50 eRe4s3r

Mhh, KSP will definitely do exactly what the news blurb above lists that BASPM will do. With the exception of historical accuracy

Whether it will go as far as having civilian space traffic, trade, and so on. I don't know. But mods could probably do it when KSP ceases development (ie, is finished) since you can do everything you can dream of with the way KSP was built. Including space combat.

18. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 11:58 Orogogus

Draugr wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 02:41:
It doesn't sound like this game won't be doing anything that kerbal already doesn't do (or is planned to do.) Take into account that Kerbal allows for modding, (It remains to be seen if this game will allow for modding.) and I think it definitely gives it a leg up.

I don't follow the Kerbal forums, but from their website the management aspects seem pretty far off, and are never going to be the heart of the game. If people want to play management sim and not a physics sim, I don't see why this wouldn't be the better choice. Like, there are games with more detailed combat than Master of Orion or X-COM, but they don't necessarily (in fact, never) do the higher level strategy any better.

In any case the original was supposed to be a pretty good game, one that newer gamers can't get any more.

17. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 08:38 Ozmodan

Much rather create things than repeat history, no interest in this at all.  

16. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 08:38 Angrius Maximis

This is a KSP for people that dont get KSP....like many of the people asking about KSP in this thread  

15. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 08:22 Burrito of Peace

Draugr wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 02:41:

IF it handles physics better it might have something going for it. Not that KSP does a terrible job, but its not perfect!

You ain't just whistling Dixie. I'm hoping the next release fixes the following:

- Space plane physics
- Loading your space plane on the runway...IN A STRAIGHT LINE
- Time acceleration causing the physics model to spazz out and blow up your ship when it doesn't do that in normal time.

14. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 02:41 Draugr

Bradley wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 01:57:
WyldKat wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 20:43:
While it's cool they're remaking a classic, I have to say this pales in comparison to Kerbal Space Program. This makes no mention of actually designing and flying the rockets yourself, or any sort of flight simulation involved as what is a core feature of KSP. KSP will also have the management side of things too before the game is officially launched.

Still I suppose this is cool if you're really into historical management sims.

Does Kerbal Space Program actually let you do anything besides build a rocket and launch it? This game sounds like a huge sim that involves building launch facilities, building up scientists, research and tech trees, etc. KSP seems like a one-trick-pony compared to this. It's a really nice pony, granted, but it's a limited pony.

Well, to start KSP is in alpha. And yes there is more to it than that. When it was in earlier alphas that would have been a good description of the game, but isn't any longer.
I would also say KSP just sounds more interesting in terms of what they want the game to be when its a finished project. Trying to make it to another star system sounds exciting and daunting. The end-point on this game is Mars, and there are no mention of space stations...the scope seems a bit smaller

It doesn't sound like this game won't be doing anything that kerbal already doesn't do (or is planned to do.) Take into account that Kerbal allows for modding, (It remains to be seen if this game will allow for modding.) and I think it definitely gives it a leg up.

IF it handles physics better it might have something going for it. Not that KSP does a terrible job, but its not perfect!

Edit: This might end up being more 'authentic' but KSP (I think anyway) will end up being the better game, and is still an excellent sim. Sounds like its been a while since you've checked out KSP, I suggest you give it another look-over.

13. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 02:40 netnerd85

Bradley wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 01:57:
While it's cool they're remaking a classic, I have to say this pales in comparison to Kerbal Space Program. This makes no mention of actually designing and flying the rockets yourself, or any sort of flight simulation involved as what is a core feature of KSP. KSP will also have the management side of things too before the game is officially launched.

Does Kerbal Space Program actually let you do anything besides build a rocket and launch it? This game sounds like a huge sim that involves building launch facilities, building up scientists, research and tech trees, etc. KSP seems like a one-trick-pony compared to this. It's a really nice pony, granted, but it's a limited pony.
Yeah you can do a lot more in KPS now, build a space station and satellites? There is more of a universe to explore.

12. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 01:57 Bradley

11. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 01:12 WyldKat

Draugr wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 21:22:
We'll see how both of them ultimately end up, but I just don't imagine it being so as good as KSP...

Agreed.

I felt the need to comment about KSP because of Slitherine's claim of this game being the,"ultimate game of space exploration" because when you boil it down, it's little more than a management sim based on historical events. It will be great for teaching about the history of NASA, surely, but as for ACTUAL space exploration I have to give that to KSP or full blown sims like Orbiter or that free space sim one.

10. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 01:01 netnerd85

Much more interested in their other game Legends of War  

9. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 00:34 Illumin

Im all over this.  

8. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 22:59 Redmask

This sounds rad as fuck.  

7. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 22:55 eRe4s3r

Heh It's gotta have science fiction elements though because last I checked there was no system that could get astronauts alive to mars, on mars, off mars, and back...

This sounds more like a spreadsheet sim with some graphical visualization.... don't think it can ever hope to reach KSP in terms of raw potential.... and if it's just a management sim it is likely going to be extremely dull. But yeah, I guess we'll see what they make of it..

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 22:40 Rigs

Damn, this was just announced today and I still didn't get it sent in fast enough! I'll never be a professional news sender-iner like nin and Ant, jus' never! Pouting

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2013, 02:17.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

5. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 22:31 Krizzen

It's a remake of BARIS (Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space). It was a really cool game, but lacked depth after a few playthroughs which were fairly short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin%27s_Race_Into_Space

4. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 21:41 Taskeen

Oh cool can we make an exact copy of Never A Straight Answer, the same organization that may or may not be covering up the greatest discoveries man kind has ever known. Can we initiate protocols where my Astronauts must remain 'hush-hush,' on 'things,' they see, cuz that'd be cool.  

3. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 21:39 killerpony

+1 on the awesomeness of KSP!  

2. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 21:22 Draugr

I was just coming in here to basically say the same thing...We'll see how both of them ultimately end up, but I just don't imagine it being so as good as KSP...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo