Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Bug Hunt" DLC Revealed?

The Official Xbox Magazine notes a photo on The Gearbox Software Forums of a Wal-Mart ad promoting new Bug Hunt DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, calling this a "$14.99 value," though not indicating what, if anything this will actually cost. It says this is due via download on March 19th, and offers the following description: "Team up with your friends to take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies in an all new game mode." Thanks VG247.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 14:07 avianflu

I am sure the publishers make tons of $$ with DLC over the longer haul, but the pervasiveness of DLC released at launch of a new game is one of the reasons I dont pre-buy games these days.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:56 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:49:
Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:29:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:53:
MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:48:
Pushing DLC before the game has even been released is a BS move IMO, and is an immediate turn-off.
Same way I feel about this. DLC should never be a selling point for any games, especially not before release.

Why?
We all know it's probably coming, and DLC is a sign of post-launch support. It's nice to see that a publisher is planning extensive post-launch support.

Some people bitch that it's stuff cut from the game for the sole purpose of monetizing it, but that's less true with Gearbox than other companies (for whom its usually also not true), as Gearbox tends to outsource their DLC.

I disagree. I don't look at it as 'Post-Launch Support' at all; I look at it as an early money grab for a game that hasn't even been released/reviewed yet. It is obviously (or most likely) content that has already been developed, but not included with the initial release of the game so they can utilize it for DLC, which is fine, but let's see if the game is worthy of the DLC that you're trying sell to us before the initial release of the game itself.

But it isn't content withheld from the initial release, and it is a good indicator of postlaunch support. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of DLC. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of postlaunch support.

The DLC isn't anything that would have made sense in the initial release and it was all created by a third party, not by Gearbox itself.

The whole "they developed it already and withheld it just to sell it!" is ridiculous paranoia. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it isn't common. It's incredibly rare, actually. Sometimes DLC is something that was planned to be in the game, but got cut for time issues. That it comes back is a nice perk.

And, again, this is coming from a guy that's really only bought DLC for Fallout 3, RDR (that was more an expansion), and now BL2. I'm not a real fan, as it's rare that a game leaves me wanting more. But it's ridiculous to claim it's stuff left back from the initial release just to sell.
Especially in Gearbox' case, when it is not only a different team working on it but an entirely different company.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:49 MajorD

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:29:
Pushing DLC before the game has even been released is a BS move IMO, and is an immediate turn-off.
Same way I feel about this. DLC should never be a selling point for any games, especially not before release.

Why?
We all know it's probably coming, and DLC is a sign of post-launch support. It's nice to see that a publisher is planning extensive post-launch support.

Some people bitch that it's stuff cut from the game for the sole purpose of monetizing it, but that's less true with Gearbox than other companies (for whom its usually also not true), as Gearbox tends to outsource their DLC.

I disagree. I don't look at it as 'Post-Launch Support' at all; I look at it as an early money grab for a game that hasn't even been released/reviewed yet. It is obviously (or most likely) content that has already been developed, but not included with the initial release of the game so they can utilize it for DLC, which is fine, but let's see if the game is worthy of the DLC that you're trying sell to us before the initial release of the game itself.

37. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:32 Verno

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:24:
There are quite a few on here who just approach every discussion on every game in the way Bill O'Reilly does, but in a textual way. If I make my opinion louder and if more people agree with my side then I'm obviously right and more important. This drives away newer people who come to the site from even wanting to comment. It also drives away people like me who are tired of reading the drivel.

Sure that's a fair point. I know when I re-regged a lot of people were hostile just because it was a new reg date even. Unfortunately you will find those people everywhere, I've just learned to tune them out or toy with them. If you let those people ruin things for you they will just do it everywhere. The addition of the ignore feature made a big difference IMHO, though sometimes its a big bummer when you click on comments and half the posts are unreadable. C'est la vie!

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:31 Mad Max RW

No dedicated server support at launch: CHECK
Pre-release DLC: CHECK
Multiplayer DLC: CHECK
Cut skirmish mode to be sold as DLC 1 month later: CHECK

So...can someone explain to me how this isn't following the same path as AvP3? Remember that game? The one Sega officially dropped support for 6 months after launch.
Multiplayer DLC for a game like this only fractures the already small playerbase. It's suicide.

ACM, much like AvP3, will be dead on arrival.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 13:36.

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:29 Beamer

Why?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:28 Darks

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:03:
Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:59:
I don't know, I respect your opinion Trev but it's more or less the same as I remember it being since I started reading in like...2001ish? I had a different posting account back then but lost the password to my old account/email after changing jobs. It's funny, I read Ars and people there say "Arsians are sooo negative about XYZ", I read SA and people on there comment that "SA goons are the worst!" type stuff. Same story at Giantbomb forums even.

I've found Blue to be pretty open when you report posts and etc, I'm sure if you guys take a small sampling and pass them on, he would act on it if there is a real problem. Too often though I find it's just a difference of opinion and one person blames the community at large for a minority of comments or opinions.

Honestly? I can't find my happy place for reviews anymore. It's not just Blues, it's everywhere. Trolls have become far more abundant in the past few years and it makes the Internet less amusing for me.

Mostly I just do Rock Paper Shotgun because I like their method of pointing out the pro's and cons and not giving a numerical rating, they just tell you how it is and let you formulate your own conclusion based on it. I feel that is how a review should be, otherwise people skip to the end to see 7/10 and decide the game "Isn't good" because it didn't get a 9.

But I digress, Blues isn't a review site. I just get tired of all the negativity surrounding EVERY single game that is announced here, before anyone knows anything about it. And if someone does want to buy something like Aliens they get told "You're wasting your money because I think it looks stupid." Borderlands 2 went through the same thing here at Blues and it's a GREAT game. And it is the reason I have no problem giving Gearbox my money for Aliens CM. They are bringing over the same Drop in Drop out Coop, a Left 4 Dead style mode called Escape. I play these games coop, I don't play them for single player. The amount of fun I will get out of playing it 4 player far outweighs the small cost I may pay that someone doesn't deem the game worthy of because they watched a video or two.

I just feel like this place has become known for overwhelming negativity towards people who are excited, about what? Games. That is why we all come here right? If you don't like games why are you here, what makes someone else's dollar more important than another's that they feel the need to belittle other people here for wanting to play a damn game. Certain people need to get over themselves. That's all I'm saying.

Awesome, Someone who understands and feels the same way I do about this and whats been going on. Thanks Trev!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:24 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:20:
Borderlands 2 went through the same thing here at Blues and it's a GREAT game.

I think that's just an example of an opinion thing though. I didn't really love Borderlands 2 like you did, I thought it was a good but ultimately flawed game like the original. I really understood and felt some of that negativity was warranted, both sides had very reasonable points. People tend to over exaggerate on the internet so suddenly a small flaw is game crippling and a minor complaint gets you labeled a hater.

As for the rest, I don't really see the issue. No one is trying to stop anyone else from buying this, they are just commenting on what we've seen. If you want to buy it unseen because its Gearbox, hey its your money bro. Personally I am not inclined but I don't begrudge your choices. I hope every game is a great game but unfortunately I've learned to temper my expectations (BRINK!!).

Yes but you also have to realize you're one of the more agreeable and respectful people on here. There are quite a few on here who just approach every discussion on every game in the way Bill O'Reilly does, but in a textual way. If I make my opinion louder and if more people agree with my side then I'm obviously right and more important. This drives away newer people who come to the site from even wanting to comment. It also drives away people like me who are tired of reading the drivel. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, thinking yours is more important is entirely another, and I'm sure if you scroll down there you'll see quite a bit of this.

I entirely agree on the situation of BRINK however, it is a prime example of a game that was ALL hype and nothing else.

I have a very short list of companies who are on my fly list right now, Gearbox happens to be one of them. 2K in general, and Bethesda are the others, more or less they treat customers right and have been releasing quality products, even if buggy they fix it as soon as possible. They have released some of what I consider the top games this past year (Dishonored and X-Com being among them, obviously Borderlands 2 is on this list for me as well) and this earns their respect from me.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 13:33.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:20 Verno

Borderlands 2 went through the same thing here at Blues and it's a GREAT game.

I think that's just an example of an opinion thing though. I didn't really love Borderlands 2 like you did, I thought it was a good but ultimately flawed game like the original. I really understood and felt some of that negativity was warranted, both sides had very reasonable points. People tend to over exaggerate on the internet so suddenly a small flaw is game crippling and a minor complaint gets you labeled a hater. Lately I've noticed on the internet in general this really big divide on everything where you either love it or hate it with nothing in between. I find it really frustrating because even some of my favorite games have major flaws and some games I didn't really care for still might have redeeming features.

As for the rest, I don't really see the issue. No one is trying to stop anyone else from buying this, they are just commenting on what we've seen. If you want to buy it unseen because its Gearbox, hey its your money bro. Personally I am not inclined but I don't begrudge your choices. I hope every game is a great game but unfortunately I've learned to temper my expectations (BRINK!!).

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:04 Shataan

Gamers... well the majority these days are crack hores. Myself I am well past the pre buy based on hype phase. Yes I pre bought from Steam but at least I got informed first. I know mp gonna blow from the Alien POV. So campaign and co op looks salvageable tho.  

30. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:03 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:59:
I don't know, I respect your opinion Trev but it's more or less the same as I remember it being since I started reading in like...2001ish? I had a different posting account back then but lost the password to my old account/email after changing jobs. It's funny, I read Ars and people there say "Arsians are sooo negative about XYZ", I read SA and people on there comment that "SA goons are the worst!" type stuff. Same story at Giantbomb forums even.

I've found Blue to be pretty open when you report posts and etc, I'm sure if you guys take a small sampling and pass them on, he would act on it if there is a real problem. Too often though I find it's just a difference of opinion and one person blames the community at large for a minority of comments or opinions.

Honestly? I can't find my happy place for reviews anymore. It's not just Blues, it's everywhere. Trolls have become far more abundant in the past few years and it makes the Internet less amusing for me.

Mostly I just do Rock Paper Shotgun because I like their method of pointing out the pro's and cons and not giving a numerical rating, they just tell you how it is and let you formulate your own conclusion based on it. I feel that is how a review should be, otherwise people skip to the end to see 7/10 and decide the game "Isn't good" because it didn't get a 9.

But I digress, Blues isn't a review site. I just get tired of all the negativity surrounding EVERY single game that is announced here, before anyone knows anything about it. And if someone does want to buy something like Aliens they get told "You're wasting your money because I think it looks stupid." Borderlands 2 went through the same thing here at Blues and it's a GREAT game. And it is the reason I have no problem giving Gearbox my money for Aliens CM. They are bringing over the same Drop in Drop out Coop, a Left 4 Dead style mode called Escape. I play these games coop, I don't play them for single player. The amount of fun I will get out of playing it 4 player far outweighs the small cost I may pay that someone doesn't deem the game worthy of because they watched a video or two.

I just feel like this place has become known for overwhelming negativity towards people who are excited, about what? Games. That is why we all come here right? If you don't like games why are you here, what makes someone else's dollar more important than another's that they feel the need to belittle other people here for wanting to play a damn game. Certain people need to get over themselves. That's all I'm saying.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 13:13.

For the Republic

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 12:59 Verno

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 12:50 Trevellian

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:17:
TBH, the past few days, the negativity has been higher than usual.

Days? Try weeks, upon months.

It's part of the reason I barely come here anymore unfortunately. A majority of the posts are angry, snarky, accusational, whiney... It's just not fun to read the comments on Blues anymore. The majority of people here think their opinion matters more than others nowadays.

I remember when this website was just about Quake, I miss those days.

For the Republic

27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 12:27 Esoteric

You want an Aliens game? Try this! http://www.mostimpressive.nl/AKF/index.html It's a free mod (just released, in the works for 2 years) for Killing Floor (it's also on Steam Workshop).  

26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:55 Wildone

Is the game any good?! LOL DLC already!!! Wont buy DLC unless the game is fucking good. Sorry.  

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:53 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:48 MajorD

Pushing DLC before the game has even been released is a BS move IMO, and is an immediate turn-off. I seriously doubt it will achieve GOTY, so maybe a CE will be available with all the DLC on Amazon in about a year for $10.00 or so. Day one buys are far and few between for me anymore......Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!!!

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:29 Verno

Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:23:
Wow, you guys really are some lost puppies. I never once said I bought this game on hype. The truth is, I bought it for two reasons, Coop being the primary reason because we have LAN parties twice a month and our group is big on Coop games. Secondly, itís the Aliens universe; I have bought each and every game that has been released over the years. So why should his game be any different in my purchases?

You were the one getting worked up and having a spaz about this If any of that is true then you shouldn't have any problem with someone doing the opposite given the same material and criteria. Maybe other people don't just buy games because they have a license attached to them and judge based on the preview and gameplay material? Not hard to imagine.

I've seen all of the preview stuff and while I'm not inherently negative about the game, nothing really stands out and makes me want to go out and buy it full price. Maybe that will change, I have an open mind but release is getting pretty close so *shrug*

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 11:26 El Pit

Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:36:
El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:03:
I can wait for the complete game (nowadays called "Ultimate Edition" or "Game of the Year Edition") to drop down to $20. That will be my message to nickel and dime EA.
The game is published by Sega. What does EA have to do with this?

Sorry, my bad. Will nevertheless wait for the complete game to hit the bargain bin, sEgA.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:23 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:12:
He's right though, you just admitted buying it on hype alone long before the brunt of the preview material was even out. Amusingly you're angry at people for making up their own mind, just coming to the opposite conclusion.

Something tells me that if people were just lavishing this game with praise you wouldn't be posting "STOP GUYS, we can't judge it until its out!".

People here like Aliens for the most part, that's been my observation anyway. So they tend to be very forgiving of flaws and if they are still saying that this looks lackluster, well....I don't think that bodes well. I'm still not sure why you care so much either, does their lack of purchase or enjoyment of it somehow affect you? No it doesn't so chillax

Wow, you guys really are some lost puppies. I never once said I bought this game on hype. The truth is, I bought it for two reasons, Coop being the primary reason because we have LAN parties twice a month and our group is big on Coop games. Secondly, itís the Aliens universe; I have bought each and every game that has been released over the years. So why should his game be any different in my purchases?

Again, you all assume way too much.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo