Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Bug Hunt" DLC Revealed?

The Official Xbox Magazine notes a photo on The Gearbox Software Forums of a Wal-Mart ad promoting new Bug Hunt DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, calling this a "$14.99 value," though not indicating what, if anything this will actually cost. It says this is due via download on March 19th, and offers the following description: "Team up with your friends to take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies in an all new game mode." Thanks VG247.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

60. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 19:24 ExGemini

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
ExGemini wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:39:
ASeven wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:33:
Game leaked on consoles a day ago. Word is it's a very average FPS game, not worthy of the name it carries.

... And then there are people who still rages for the PC piracy

Worse. Sega will blame piracy as well as convince themselves Aliens isn't a viable property. Consider the unannounced game by Creative Assembly canceled if A:CM bombs. They already canceled Obsidian's Aliens: Crucible.

Pity that is all about money in the game industry uh?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 19:10 Orogogus

Game leaked on consoles a day ago. Word is it's a very average FPS game, not worthy of the name it carries.

Companies are generally concerned less about the fact that consoles get pirate releases early, than they are with the much larger amount of it on the PC side, coupled with lower sales numbers.

58. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 18:02 RollinThundr

Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:36:
El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:03:
I can wait for the complete game (nowadays called "Ultimate Edition" or "Game of the Year Edition") to drop down to $20. That will be my message to nickel and dime EA.
The game is published by Sega. What does EA have to do with this?

Not a thing, but a day on BN without someone bitching about EA somewhere just isn't realistically possible apparently.

57. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 17:49 Mad Max RW

Worse. Sega will blame piracy as well as convince themselves Aliens isn't a viable property. Consider the unannounced game by Creative Assembly canceled if A:CM bombs. They already canceled Obsidian's Aliens: Crucible.

56. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 17:39 ExGemini

55. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 17:33 ASeven

54. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 17:00 Mad Max RW

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:55:

Whats the issue?

They changed the name. Simple explanation.

53. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 16:59 ExGemini

Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:48:
ExGemini wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:39:
fuck off Gemini!!!

There there now ... did you forget to take you pills today mr?

Nope, only my bug spray to kill annoying little pricks like you.

Rant all you want, you amuse me.

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 16:55 Trevellian

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:35:
Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:16:
Honestly, FFS. I haven't heard 1 goddamn thing about "Horde Mode" Until today.

You must have missed the recent mentions at IGN, Destructoid, and Game Informer. A direct quote: "Survival pits four Colonial Marines against unrelenting waves of xenomorphs. It's possibly the best implementation of a horde-like mode we've seen in a long time."

Now one of two things happened. Either the horde mode existed as part of the game and was cut in the last few months to be sold as DLC. Or every website and magazine that reported on it lied about it ever existing in the first place. In addition Sega and Gearbox never bothered to correct them.

This DLC is called Bug Hunt... Not Survival. From what I recall Survival is also in the game but it's yet another Player vs Player mode, where the Marines have to play defense and the Aliens are on the attack, much like the old Unreal Tournament "Assault" Game mode. So... yeah... Survival and Bug Hunt are completely different... All of the Competative Modes have been gone over and have Trailers. Survival has one, it shows it as a Marines Hunker Down game mode, and lists the Xeno objective simply as "Kill" before the Marines survival timer is done.

So you have.
Story Coop: 4 Players
Deathmatch: 6 on 6
Survival: Marines survive a timer while Xeno's try to eliminate.
Escape: 4 on 4 Marines try to get to an Evac.

Bug Hunt: DLC

Whats the issue?

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

51. removed Feb 7, 2013, 16:48 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 8, 2013, 07:23.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

50. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 16:39 ExGemini

fuck off Gemini!!!

There there now ... did you forget to take you pills today mr?

49. removed Feb 7, 2013, 16:35 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 8, 2013, 07:23.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 16:35 Mad Max RW

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 16:16:

You must have missed the recent mentions at IGN, Destructoid, and Game Informer. A direct quote: "Survival pits four Colonial Marines against unrelenting waves of xenomorphs. It's possibly the best implementation of a horde-like mode we've seen in a long time."

Now one of two things happened. Either the horde mode existed as part of the game and was cut in the last few months to be sold as DLC. Or every website and magazine that reported on it lied about it ever existing in the first place. In addition Sega and Gearbox never bothered to correct them.

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 16:22 ExGemini

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:31:
No dedicated server support at launch: CHECK
Pre-release DLC: CHECK
Multiplayer DLC: CHECK
Cut skirmish mode to be sold as DLC 1 month later: CHECK

So...can someone explain to me how this isn't following the same path as AvP3? Remember that game? The one Sega officially dropped support for 6 months after launch.
Multiplayer DLC for a game like this only fractures the already small playerbase. It's suicide.

ACM, much like AvP3, will be dead on arrival.

They don't care.
They look at the profit. The DAY1 profit, then all the users can go to hell cause they got their money already.
It's how publishers works now days is not that surprising sadly.

46. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 16:17 ExGemini

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:08:
Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:44:

The only horse shit here is yours and many others attitude towards a game you havenít even played yet.

Err, they think it doesn't look good, that's not an attitude, it's just an observation and opinion. You're just angry because you like it and others don't. Your comments works both ways too, you seem awfully defensive about a game you haven't spent much time with either.

Let him rant, if he doesn't do in here where at least someone pay him attention, his head will explode.

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 16:16 Trevellian

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:51:
Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:56:
But it isn't content withheld from the initial release...

In this case it was cut to be sold separately. There are dozens of previews explicitly talking about the horde mode (4 marine players vs waves of increasingly difficult computer controlled aliens) and how great it is long before there was any mention of DLC.

The ONLY mode I had heard about besides Coop, and standard Xeno vs Marine Deathmatch, was ESCAPE MODE.

This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UBQouJBns

This is Escape Mode, the "Left 4 Dead style" 4 on 4 Multiplayer mode, that works just like Left 4 Deads Multi.

I really and truely think people hear Left 4 Dead mode and get it confused with Horde mode. Escape Mode is that mode, and it ships with the game.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 15:51 Mad Max RW

But it isn't content withheld from the initial release...

In this case it was cut to be sold separately. There are dozens of previews explicitly talking about the horde mode (4 marine players vs waves of increasingly difficult computer controlled aliens) and how great it is long before there was any mention of DLC.

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 15:27 Beelzebud

This will go on my Gearbox Wait List. I waited 2 years and got Borderlands and all DLC for $7.50. That was worth it. I'm doing the same for Borderlands 2, and most likely this game. To me these types of games are fun, but nothing I'd rush out and buy, and then buy all the DLC as it came out. Nothing there is going to be worth 80-100 dollars when it's all said and done.  

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 14:33 DangerDog

Just picked up the main game from Getgamesgo for $30.49 (use code LV-426 at checkout) - code is set to expire 4pm GMT.

I'll give it a shot for $30 and if it's any good I'll pick up the season pass on the cheap later.

Getgamesgo is like greenmangaming, they take paypal etc I've purchased from them before 100% legit.

41. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 14:28 MajorD

MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:49:
Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:29:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:53:
MajorD wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:48:
Pushing DLC before the game has even been released is a BS move IMO, and is an immediate turn-off.
Same way I feel about this. DLC should never be a selling point for any games, especially not before release.

Why?
We all know it's probably coming, and DLC is a sign of post-launch support. It's nice to see that a publisher is planning extensive post-launch support.

Some people bitch that it's stuff cut from the game for the sole purpose of monetizing it, but that's less true with Gearbox than other companies (for whom its usually also not true), as Gearbox tends to outsource their DLC.

I disagree. I don't look at it as 'Post-Launch Support' at all; I look at it as an early money grab for a game that hasn't even been released/reviewed yet. It is obviously (or most likely) content that has already been developed, but not included with the initial release of the game so they can utilize it for DLC, which is fine, but let's see if the game is worthy of the DLC that you're trying sell to us before the initial release of the game itself.

But it isn't content withheld from the initial release, and it is a good indicator of postlaunch support. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of DLC. Borderlands 2 has had a ton of postlaunch support.

The DLC isn't anything that would have made sense in the initial release and it was all created by a third party, not by Gearbox itself.

The whole "they developed it already and withheld it just to sell it!" is ridiculous paranoia. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it isn't common. It's incredibly rare, actually. Sometimes DLC is something that was planned to be in the game, but got cut for time issues. That it comes back is a nice perk.

And, again, this is coming from a guy that's really only bought DLC for Fallout 3, RDR (that was more an expansion), and now BL2. I'm not a real fan, as it's rare that a game leaves me wanting more. But it's ridiculous to claim it's stuff left back from the initial release just to sell.
Especially in Gearbox' case, when it is not only a different team working on it but an entirely different company.

Sorry if I sound like a MajorD here (pun intended), IMHO it is very naive to think that Developers/Publishers do 'not' hold back a certain amount of content that was created during the original development cycle of the game, in order to sell it off as DLC for additional profits. Iím not saying all, but I would say a significant amount of them do it. Additionally, yes, there is post release DLC that is developed and/or sub contracted out if the game does well, but to think that there is Ďnotí any content that is created during the original development and then held back sold of as DLC is crazy.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo