Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Bug Hunt" DLC Revealed?

The Official Xbox Magazine notes a photo on The Gearbox Software Forums of a Wal-Mart ad promoting new Bug Hunt DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, calling this a "$14.99 value," though not indicating what, if anything this will actually cost. It says this is due via download on March 19th, and offers the following description: "Team up with your friends to take on waves of increasingly difficult enemies in an all new game mode." Thanks VG247.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 11, 2013, 13:46 Beamer

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 13:25:
ASeven wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 12:36:
Oh dear...

Other leaked review scores are along these lines.

Looking at this:

Games TM - 4/10: "Mechanically, the game functions, but the fun of the Aliens universe is quickly drained away by what amounts to a mundane shooting gallery through a drab and lifeless world."

PS3gen.fr - 5/10: (Translated) "We expected a lot from this project. And unfortunately, our disappointment was all the greater."

ITNewsAfrica - 7.9: (Pulled)

No one here is surprised.
I was probably the kindest to it, waiting until I saw reviews, but I also barely followed the game or looked at previews.

The one video I watched some of showed very, very linear designs, and while the idea of zombie aliens shown in that .gif sounds cool, in that way that a BMW with 42 wheels sounds cool, much like that car it's something that should never actually exist.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 11, 2013, 13:45 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 15:21:
Eh I meant to write something different there ,) Boring disconnected Areas, not boring Arenas ;p But while you ask, I wanted more extended gameplay, loot that drops everywhere not just in the DLC, an open world hub where things from DLC's go together, interacting DLC, not stand-alone DLC. And fully randomized enemies (where DLC enemies can spawn in normal game and vice versa).

To me, there is absolutely no motivation to play any of these areas, I am level 50 with 3 characters, in these areas loot drops are WORSE than anywhere else, Scarlet, Torque DLC is a good example, Torque weapons being the imo worst weapons in the entire game... .

They should have fixed the new game+ mode too (currently you can't reset the quest status) and not just add new areas, implement DLC content throughout, and not just in these areas, and add a way to play those damned audio logs in the game. Basically, I wanted a randomization element to enemies and loot. That may have been something that kept me playing. But so far I haven't even checked out any of the DLC for more than 30 minutes. There is no motivation to do anything with a level 50 character there. And I only like the Siren... the others are somehow extremely boring to play. Especially mechromancer... wee, a robot I can summon for a few seconds.. that is NOT my idea of having fun. I wanted an ARMY of robots. Or maybe a way to find upgrades for the robot, give him specific weapons and elements.. that kind of stuff.

So much potential, all wasted. Or basically, of all the DLC for this game, I did so far not like a single one. Because while it adds new stuff, wtf is the motivation to play any of it with a fixed level ceiling that isn't raised? It should have been +10 per DLC and they should add some additional way to gain XP and levels perks, maybe link when you max out the level the xp gain to the bass-ass rank gain so that there is a boost there too.

So yeah, obviously higher level ceiling means maybe adding a "end game" skill tree and instead of normal skill points an "end game skill point" that way balance could be maintained. But they did nothing. Now, i don't even care anymore. Borderlands 2 is boring to me, because there is no motivation to play it anymore.

Raised level cap was the only thing I cared about. And they did literally nothing. They let it die. And that is why Gearbox is stupid. They are unable to understand that new content does not equal new motivation to play when the level ceiling and loot/enemy system is the way it is. And what good does it do when they add a new leveling system in 6 months or more? By then, new games will be out, and nobody plays BL2 anymore. Even now, nearly nobody plays BL2 anymore.

The Sandhawk you get from Scarlett is amazing, and Torgue gives you an easy way to get the Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold (also amazing) and, if you use the 'Zerker, the Torgue off-hand weapon glitch can be very useful (and feels slightly less like cheating than the Evil Smasher glitch.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

78. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 11, 2013, 13:37 Verno

Reading some reports about the MP, there is supposedly no host migration in MP. So if you're rolling the host and they get mad or don't want to play Alien it's just back to the MP screen. That seems like very poor design and I hope it's untrue.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

77. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 11, 2013, 13:25 nin

ASeven wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 12:36:
Oh dear...

Looking at this:

Games TM - 4/10: "Mechanically, the game functions, but the fun of the Aliens universe is quickly drained away by what amounts to a mundane shooting gallery through a drab and lifeless world."

PS3gen.fr - 5/10: (Translated) "We expected a lot from this project. And unfortunately, our disappointment was all the greater."

ITNewsAfrica - 7.9: (Pulled)

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

76. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 11, 2013, 12:36 ASeven

Oh dear...

75. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 15:21 eRe4s3r

Eh I meant to write something different there ,) Boring disconnected Areas, not boring Arenas ;p But while you ask, I wanted more extended gameplay, loot that drops everywhere not just in the DLC, an open world hub where things from DLC's go together, interacting DLC, not stand-alone DLC. And fully randomized enemies (where DLC enemies can spawn in normal game and vice versa).

To me, there is absolutely no motivation to play any of these areas, I am level 50 with 3 characters, in these areas loot drops are WORSE than anywhere else, Scarlet, Torque DLC is a good example, Torque weapons being the imo worst weapons in the entire game... .

They should have fixed the new game+ mode too (currently you can't reset the quest status) and not just add new areas, implement DLC content throughout, and not just in these areas, and add a way to play those damned audio logs in the game. Basically, I wanted a randomization element to enemies and loot. That may have been something that kept me playing. But so far I haven't even checked out any of the DLC for more than 30 minutes. There is no motivation to do anything with a level 50 character there. And I only like the Siren... the others are somehow extremely boring to play. Especially mechromancer... wee, a robot I can summon for a few seconds.. that is NOT my idea of having fun. I wanted an ARMY of robots. Or maybe a way to find upgrades for the robot, give him specific weapons and elements.. that kind of stuff.

So much potential, all wasted. Or basically, of all the DLC for this game, I did so far not like a single one. Because while it adds new stuff, wtf is the motivation to play any of it with a fixed level ceiling that isn't raised? It should have been +10 per DLC and they should add some additional way to gain XP and levels perks, maybe link when you max out the level the xp gain to the bass-ass rank gain so that there is a boost there too.

So yeah, obviously higher level ceiling means maybe adding a "end game" skill tree and instead of normal skill points an "end game skill point" that way balance could be maintained. But they did nothing. Now, i don't even care anymore. Borderlands 2 is boring to me, because there is no motivation to play it anymore.

Raised level cap was the only thing I cared about. And they did literally nothing. They let it die. And that is why Gearbox is stupid. They are unable to understand that new content does not equal new motivation to play when the level ceiling and loot/enemy system is the way it is. And what good does it do when they add a new leveling system in 6 months or more? By then, new games will be out, and nobody plays BL2 anymore. Even now, nearly nobody plays BL2 anymore.

74. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 13:41 nin

Look at the horrid Borderlands 2 DLC, 3 of 4 DLC's in the season pass were nothing but essentially boring arenas

What arena was in Captain Scarlet? I can see Torque maybe... but I didn't think that was the focus of Hammerlock, either.

73. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 12:44 eRe4s3r

Lol that's what Gearbox does though. Look at the horrid Borderlands 2 DLC, 3 of 4 DLC's in the season pass were nothing but essentially boring arenas with boring as hell combat and enemies, and no a single one raises the level cap (So wtf is the point of playing the game?) or even puts in proper loot for the WHOLE game. No, instead you have to play DLC 3 to get DLC 3 loot, what a retarded system in an ARPG.

I think it's pretty hilarious though, and taught me that I will never again buy a Season Pass, even if it is extremely cheap.... and especially never when the game is from Gearbox

72. Re: wow..... ;0(... Feb 8, 2013, 08:17 Ventura

Shataan wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 21:48:
I here ya Ventura. So far the PC mp forced asscam alien view... well that certainly wasn`t what we were waiting for OR wanted. Rebellion and Monolith for a few of their faults, they didn`t try to shove that B/S down our throats. Gotta love em respect em for that.

True that, mate.

The game we've had might not have been the best, but I'd always rather they tried and failed than not tried at all. AvP 2010 may not be terribly well liked, but I have played far worse games in my time.

While I must admit to being somewhat annoyed at Gearbox/Sega for them selling bug hunt rather than adding it to the game as I feel they should, I have no intention of cancelling my preorder.

71. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 07:27 Redmask

I don't know which species is worse, you don't seem them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Aliens was prophetic

70. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 07:03 Quinn

Gearbox kinda sucks..

Everyone is so "fuck yea!" about Borderlands 2 for some reason.. and while the game was alright, the whole multiplayer thing was lame as fuck.

Quests didn't recognize you were in a group, context wise, and nor were there any interactions between players beside dueling and trading. It was basically the same, boring singleplayer experience.. just with other people stealing your kills and loot. There were no group skills, like tossing the Berzerker into the fray enacting a deadly rage within him for example.

No. Borderlands is "fuck yea!" because some people on the net drew that conclusion, and the hype did the rest.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

69. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 8, 2013, 06:59 jamiedj99

i hope gamers take a stand and dont pussy out and not buy a cut out feature that was in the game already for release. dont buy it make them suffer for cutting it out and tricking us to pay extra for something  

68. Re: wow..... ;0(... Feb 8, 2013, 06:14 InBlack

Well we will see soon enough. I love Aliens and bought all the games so far, only got really burnt with the last AvP. (I thoght AvP2 was decent) Im going to take a wait and see approach on this one, and if its as shit at its looking to be, will pass. As much as I love Aliens, if the game looks like shit, plays like shit, quacks like a duck....  

I have a nifty blue line!

67. Re: wow..... ;0(... Feb 7, 2013, 23:02 eRe4s3r

Video here -

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/02/ign-live-presents-aliens-colonial-marines

Mhh, I reserve judgement on it until I actually watched it all ;p

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 23:16.

66. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 22:31 fujiJuice

For the $5 I payed for AVP3, I enjoyed it. Certainly not a great game, but a nice distraction for a short time.  

65. Re: wow..... ;0(... Feb 7, 2013, 21:48 Shataan

I here ya Ventura. So far the PC mp forced asscam alien view... well that certainly wasn`t what we were waiting for OR wanted. Rebellion and Monolith for a few of their faults, they didn`t try to shove that B/S down our throats. Gotta love em respect em for that.

So if GearBox are smart in the least, they better have 1 whopper of a day 1 patch update for PC players. We don`t want or need another Duke Nukem pass the buck situation on our hands.....

64. Re: wow..... ;0(... Feb 7, 2013, 21:13 Ventura

I just watched some youtube vids showing a fair amount of actual gameplay for A CMs. The A.I. is really bad. I mean dated, and BAD. For all the bragging GearBox/Pitchford has done for this game, the A.I. is not reflecting it by any means.

Now, granted the ingame footage is console version (looks ass tbh), I really hope the PC versions A.I. is ALOT tighter. And I hope the PC Squad members can actually shoot, and HIT and KILL some Aliens. Otherwise, they seem to be just getting in the way. They have been pretty useless as far as the footage shows.

Ive got some bad news Shataan.

The recent IGN play through was on the pc version. They were playing with 360 controllers, but you could see them getting steam achievements.

Right at the end of the play through, they decide to replay the first campaign level on the Ultimate Badass difficulty, and you can see an absolute AI fail concerning one of the first aliens you encounter in the campaign. It basically just stops in its tracks, well within sight of the player.

I still have my preorder, traded in for it so kinda feels like I'm not paying for it, but I must admit, I don't think it's gonna prove to be what we've been waiting for, all these years.

63. wow..... ;0(... Feb 7, 2013, 20:47 Shataan

I just watched some youtube vids showing a fair amount of actual gameplay for A CMs. The A.I. is really bad. I mean dated, and BAD. For all the bragging GearBox/Pitchford has done for this game, the A.I. is not reflecting it by any means.

Now, granted the ingame footage is console version (looks ass tbh), I really hope the PC versions A.I. is ALOT tighter. And I hope the PC Squad members can actually shoot, and HIT and KILL some Aliens. Otherwise, they seem to be just getting in the way. They have been pretty useless as far as the footage shows.

If what I just watched is any indication, somebody gonna get some.... erm feedback from the Fans. This IS 2013 after all, and A CMs looks 1999 quality atm. Nice job Randy.

62. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 20:04 nin

Pankin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 19:57:
How do I get out of this chicken-shit outfit?

You secure that shit, Hudson!

61. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 19:57 Pankin

How do I get out of this chicken-shit outfit?

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo