Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"

BioWare's Chris Priestly took to the BioWare Social Network to respond to speculation about the next installment in the Mass Effect series of shootery role-playing games (thanks Strategy Informer). In what seems evidence that the era of sequels is hitting a new era of oddness, he suggests calling the fourth installment in the Mass Effect series Mass Effect 4 or ME4 is a "disservice" to the game:

To call the next game Mass Effect 4 or ME4 is doing it a disservice and seems to cause a lot of confusion here. We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying "well, they'll have to pick a canon ending". No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda. Wherever, whenever, whoever, etc will all be revealed years down the road when we actually start talking about it.

I do not call the game ME4 when I talk about it ever, bucause that makes people think of it more as "what happens after Mass Effect 3" rather than "what game happens next set in the Mass Effect Universe", which is far more accurate at this point. Obviously fans are going to speculate content, character and story until we actually reveal details in the years or months to come as you have almost no actual details, just don't get bogged down in "well how are they going to continue ME3...".

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 12:27 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:07:
I wouldn't expect even an option for a non-human protagonist. Bioware has been streamlining for a long time, I doubt they would commit the extra resources to it. Look at how few people play as Femshep, it was a pittance compared to the default sex/appearance choice. The bro crowd needs a protagonist it can relate to and that's where their development resources will go first.

Yup, that's my take on it too. I mean, look at how much character customization they gave us with DA1, only to get locked into a human protagonist in DA2. I'd love to be wrong, but my suspicion is there's an extremely low probability of the next protagonist being anything but human. And as soon as you lock it into human, things like the Rachni war - which I agree would be interesting - go out the window.

And, frankly, the last thing I'd want in an ME is another story in the same timeline as the Shepard story. It's not just a matter of knowing how it's going to turn out, you also have the full knowledge that you're never going to be the hero. There's no way your accomplishments, no matter how impressive, are going to stack up to what Shepard accomplished. I suppose they could try and squeeze something into the period where Shepard is MIA, but even then, what activity of any significance could really take place? They are better off with a completely separate scenario, imo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 12:07 Verno

I wouldn't expect even an option for a non-human protagonist. Bioware has been streamlining for a long time, I doubt they would commit the extra resources to it. Look at how few people play as Femshep, it was a pittance compared to the default sex/appearance choice. The bro crowd needs a protagonist it can relate to and that's where their development resources will go first.

I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game, when they all go after the Reaper fleet after jumping in-system and when they cut to the fighter pilot getting ready to engage, I thought that this would be an awesome game on it's own! I would love to fly a fighter in a massive fleet battle with these kinds of pyrotechnics and immersion and with the ME's story background, it would have plenty of stuff to add in. Maybe start out sometime during the middle of the second game and run concurrent to ME2/3's story with Shepard, but telling it from a different angle and explaining how other parts of the military got ready for the fight. It's kind of the same thing I thought about when they included some space dogfighting in HALO: Reach, it would be wonderful on it's own and fleshed out with it's own story amidst the larger conflict... *shrugs*

Agreed, ME is one of the few franchises I could see successfully branching out to other genres but unfortunately not with Bioware at the helm, they don't have the design expertise to do it.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 12:06 Rigs

I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game, when they all go after the Reaper fleet after jumping in-system and when they cut to the fighter pilot getting ready to engage, I thought that this would be an awesome game on it's own! I would love to fly a fighter in a massive fleet battle with these kinds of pyrotechnics and immersion and with the ME's story background, it would have plenty of stuff to add in. Maybe start out sometime during the middle of the second game and run concurrent to ME2/3's story with Shepard, but telling it from a different angle and explaining how other parts of the military got ready for the fight. It's kind of the same thing I thought about when they included some space dogfighting in HALO: Reach, it would be wonderful on it's own and fleshed out with it's own story amidst the larger conflict... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

20. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 12:00 NewMaxx

Bhruic wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:44:
The one problem I think they'll have is with the sense of scale. The ME trilogy had a nice "saving the galaxy" feeling to it because you were somewhat literally doing just that. Them coming up with another galactic threat seems like an extremely difficult task, meaning anything that's left to do will seem more mundane by comparison. Hopefully they can work something out, but we'll see.

Although we eventually discover why the Reapers move outside of the galaxy, there is an implication in the series that there is more outside of the galaxy with which they potentially deal. I liken this to the idea in another game, AI War, where the AI has dominated the galaxy to such a great extent that it is capable of just leaving a small remnant scout force while it focuses its attention on matters "greater than the galaxy" - things that are never revealed in either case.

19. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 11:54 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:44:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:46:
That the illiterate monkeys who still inhabit Bioware's forums can't figure this out isn't Bioware's fault. I don't know how more clear they need to be that "The next ME game is NOT going to be about Shepard."

It seems like his post was less about "the next ME game is not about Shepard", and more about "the next ME game is not a sequel". I think most people understand that Shepard is out of the picture, but some people seem to think the next games will be in the post-Shepard universe (and require a canon ending to ME3).

Frankly, I don't see that happening. Unfortunately they boxed themselves in a bit by making humanity such a late entry into the galactic scene. Because we know that a sequel is going to have a human protagonist. If it weren't for that, there'd be a lot of material they could work with just from the established history.

The one problem I think they'll have is with the sense of scale. The ME trilogy had a nice "saving the galaxy" feeling to it because you were somewhat literally doing just that. Them coming up with another galactic threat seems like an extremely difficult task, meaning anything that's left to do will seem more mundane by comparison. Hopefully they can work something out, but we'll see.

They've also said that the Shepard trilogy is the end-point of the ME universe, which I actually thought was a pretty cool twist, and it was originally born out by their destruction of the gates and consequently by the destruction of the systems in which such gates existed (queue Bioware writers going "oh. hehe. oops. Yeah, we don't read our own codex, really...")

Even with the extended cut ending, it's still an endpoint, so it does make sense that the next game(s) has/have to come before or at least simultaneously.

As for the galaxy-ending threat, if they set it during the same time, they can use the Reapers again, but that'd actually be pretty boring, as you already know how that's going to end. They could easily do a story set during the Rachni war. Or do a story where the threat isn't as massive, but more localized.

Also, I'm pretty sure they have not announced that the next game is going to have a human protagonist. They haven't announced anything, and there's a lot of clamoring for a non-human protagonist.

Personally, I still want to be a Krogan. And I want all the mp classes available to pick next time around. (seriously, the latest rounds of mp classes absolutely kick the shit out of the boring sp stuff.)

Creston

18. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 11:44 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:46:
That the illiterate monkeys who still inhabit Bioware's forums can't figure this out isn't Bioware's fault. I don't know how more clear they need to be that "The next ME game is NOT going to be about Shepard."

It seems like his post was less about "the next ME game is not about Shepard", and more about "the next ME game is not a sequel". I think most people understand that Shepard is out of the picture, but some people seem to think the next games will be in the post-Shepard universe (and require a canon ending to ME3).

Frankly, I don't see that happening. Unfortunately they boxed themselves in a bit by making humanity such a late entry into the galactic scene. Because we know that a sequel is going to have a human protagonist. If it weren't for that, there'd be a lot of material they could work with just from the established history.

17. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 11:18 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:49:
You underestimate the 'brainpower' of EA's marketing peons.

I give you Mass Effect: Warfighter!
I stand corrected. Still using too much brain when analyzing or assessing EAs past or possible future activities. Never underestimate the power of S.T.U.P.I.D.

16. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 11:04 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:59:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:58:
ME MMO coming...

I seriously doubt it. Not after the bath EA took on TOR...

I'd be shocked if it happened.

Yeah. I have to admit the idea even sounded cool at first, but I doubt EA is greenlighting another Bioware MMO.

Creston

15. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:59 nin

Jivaro wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:58:
ME MMO coming...

I seriously doubt it. Not after the bath EA took on TOR...

I'd be shocked if it happened.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:58 Jivaro

ME MMO coming...  

13. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:57 Verno

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:50:
His mistake is trying to reason with these monkeys in the first place. Monkeys dont respond to reason. They scream at you and throw their shit all over the place. Its just what monkeys do.

You used capital letters Smitten

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

12. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:50 Orphic Resonance

His mistake is trying to reason with these monkeys in the first place. Monkeys dont respond to reason. They scream at you and throw their shit all over the place. Its just what monkeys do.  

11. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:49 Rattlehead

You know there is a button that hides spoilers right?  

10. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:49 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:44:
But we all know that Bioware is nothing more than EAs slave, so the next installment WILL be called ME4. Everything else is bad marketing. You dont just throw a number away.

You underestimate the 'brainpower' of EA's marketing peons.

I give you Mass Effect: Warfighter!

(I'd called it ME: Redemption first, but that's too subtle for EA's marketing division.)

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:13:
Right before I had to play "gas up the car before flying across the galaxy" and "planet scan woop-woop-who came up with this horseshit?"...

I didn't mind the "get fuel" bit so much, as it at least gave a smidgeon of immersion, though they could have dropped it and it wouldn't have made a difference one way or the other. But I have no clue how the fuck the planet scanning ever made it out an initial brainstorming meeting, much less into the actual game forcing Hudson had to pretend that it was this really awesome mechanic...

Creston

9. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:08:
Rather transparent effort to divorce it from the negative feelings associated with the previous games.

To be fair, after ME2, they said that they would make more games in the ME universe (and this is when they first started talking about a ME MMO, before they saw ToR tanking heavily and realized that they don't know shit about making an MMO), and they have always said that the game would not be about Shepard, and would feature a different storyline in the universe, likely set either during or even before the events of the Shepard trilogy.

So while Chris Priestly is being his usual haughty-ass self, nothing he's saying is new or different from what they have always said.

Creston

8. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:13 nin

Panickd wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:10:
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:59:
No one cares anymore.

Anymore? Did we ever?

I think there was a 5 minute span, after I forced myself to finish ME1, and started ME2. Right before I had to play "gas up the car before flying across the galaxy" and "planet scan woop-woop-who came up with this horseshit?"...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:10 Panickd

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:59:
No one cares anymore.

Anymore? Did we ever?

6. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 10:09 DASmoot

Nothing says that the next game has to be an RPG anyway. The Mass Effect universe is built on real science and overflowing with possibilities. How about letting us fly Alliance fighters during the carrier battles of the First Contact war? How about a 4X strategy game where you can control the Rachni or the original battle

SPOILER HERE FOR ME3 AND DLC
between the galaxy's first AI, the Reapers it created and the Leviathans that created the AI?

Nothing says we have to follow Shepard's story and I for one expect that Bioware does something very different.

5. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 09:59 Cutter

No one cares anymore.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 09:44 Kajetan

vrok wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:36:
No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side.
It doesn't have to come before, after, or off to the side of Shepard's story? What? What else is there? Is he high?
He wants to be sure, that everyone gets his point

But we all know that Bioware is nothing more than EAs slave, so the next installment WILL be called ME4. Everything else is bad marketing. You dont just throw a number away.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo