Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 12:33 dardin

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:07:
I agree. I hope Sony and MS are stupid enough to require always on and ban used game sales because that really will be the death knell for console gaming. These are going to be the last consoles regardless.

Lets just say the big two both do this. I am curious what you think would then replace console gaming?

PC gaming has already been doing this for years now. Pretty much every new PC game requires you to activate it through some online service (battlenet, steam, origin), locking that copy to you and making it have no resell value. So if this is the death knell of console gaming and there is no alternative then where are people going to migrate to for their gaming fix?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 12:27 dardin

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:08:
Microsoft responds to Xbox 720 ‘always-on’ net connection rumour.

I think this sums it up best:

You know what? Bring it on. As a consumer, I am so damn tired of hearing the game industry blame everything but themselves for their failures. Okay, let's go. Let the PS4 and the 720 both ship with features that kill used games entirely.

Then, when this next generation fails miserably (and it will, if they do this), maybe these assholes can stop blaming us.

You know what we're going to get in the next generation? Even fewer games from the major studios, because there will be zero market for most games if they can't be resold. There will be a few exceptions--Madden (God help us) and COD and GTA--but there is going to be a real dearth of product.

Game sales, except for a very few franchises, are going to plummet. Console sales, too. But if the games can't be resold, and they can't be pirated, then it can't be our fault this time, right?

This is like the dinosaurs, possessing advanced technology, calling for their own meteor strike.

Love that last line!

I disagree that there will be fewer games developed as a result of this. This type of feature is something the publishers want. They want to lock each copy of a game sold to one console. They currently do not make any money off the resell market. Killing off that market means the possibility of increased retail sales which they get money from.

Now if consumers are so turned off by this that they refuse to buy a console doing this, that would cause fewer games to be developed.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 11:39 SpectralMeat

"Sony drops Kevin Butler ad agency."

That's not a smart move. I thought Kevin did an awesome job, always found his ads entertaining. Then when he walked on stage at E3 I believe it was with a beer in his hand and gave that speech, it was priceless.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 11:08 Creston

That is not an actual response there, Microsoft.

Great link, btw, nin!

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 10:07 Cutter

I agree. I hope Sony and MS are stupid enough to require always on and ban used game sales because that really will be the death knell for console gaming. These are going to be the last consoles regardless.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 09:53 Verno

Why Microsoft Got Into The Console Business.

Missed this one: ads, ads, ads Deal

How about their ad revenue is used to supplement the losses publishers experience from second hand sales and no one messes with the consumer?

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: Double Fine Adventure exclusive to Ouya at launch Feb 7, 2013, 09:36 eRe4s3r

Hah.. ok Jumped to conclusions there based on the headline... it does say though "exclusive to Ouya" if it's also for IOS and PC, then it is NOT exclusive to Ouya. ^^

So a case of a badly worded headline. Good

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 09:29 avianflu

Vita will be remembered as one of those consoles that no one made games for and then it is quietly discontinued.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 09:28 Verno

I'm kind of amused that anyone thinks of the Ouya as a console.  

6. Re: Double Fine Adventure exclusive to Ouya at launch Feb 7, 2013, 09:27 nin

Rhino wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:20:
What? ... WHAT? ... WHAAAT?

Am I misunderstanding this? Because "exclusive" means nowhere else. That means, not launching on PC? WTF? Someone explain exactly what this means. Because I am not getting it...

The opening line reads "Ouya will be the only console to offer Tim Schafer's record-breaking Kickstarter title, Double Fine Adventure."

I REALLY hope that the sentence can be taken literally and that this only applies to consoles. I would think that they would be in a heap of trouble from the customer base if it were otherwise; but stranger things have happened.

I can't see any way he would deny KS backers. And I'm pretty sure you can still join as a slacker backer (I know you can as apart of the minecraft movie purchase).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Double Fine Adventure exclusive to Ouya at launch Feb 7, 2013, 09:26 MoonSpook

Am I misunderstanding this? Because "exclusive" means nowhere else. That means, not launching on PC? WTF? Someone explain exactly what this means. Because I am not getting it...

I believe, and the first paragraph of the link seems to indicate, that it means it's the exclusive console to receive it. I suspect it will be released on PC at the same time.

Edit: Pipped thanks to me forgetting my BN pw to log in with

4. Re: Double Fine Adventure exclusive to Ouya at launch Feb 7, 2013, 09:24 Rhino

The opening line reads "Ouya will be the only console to offer Tim Schafer's record-breaking Kickstarter title, Double Fine Adventure."

I REALLY hope that the sentence can be taken literally and that this only applies to consoles. I would think that they would be in a heap of trouble from the customer base if it were otherwise; but stranger things have happened.

3. Double Fine Adventure exclusive to Ouya at launch Feb 7, 2013, 09:20 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 09:10 Verno

Nice pick nin, that is a pretty good line. That Microsoft wouldn't deny something pretty incendiary says a lot about what is planned.

Sony cuts Q3 net loss to $115M, handheld forecasts down 30 percent.

They really bungled the Vita, all the same mistakes as the past too which makes it even worse.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 09:08 nin

Microsoft responds to Xbox 720 ‘always-on’ net connection rumour.

I think this sums it up best:

You know what? Bring it on. As a consumer, I am so damn tired of hearing the game industry blame everything but themselves for their failures. Okay, let's go. Let the PS4 and the 720 both ship with features that kill used games entirely.

Then, when this next generation fails miserably (and it will, if they do this), maybe these assholes can stop blaming us.

You know what we're going to get in the next generation? Even fewer games from the major studios, because there will be zero market for most games if they can't be resold. There will be a few exceptions--Madden (God help us) and COD and GTA--but there is going to be a real dearth of product.

Game sales, except for a very few franchises, are going to plummet. Console sales, too. But if the games can't be resold, and they can't be pirated, then it can't be our fault this time, right?

This is like the dinosaurs, possessing advanced technology, calling for their own meteor strike.

Love that last line!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo