Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: RE: Follow up Feb 8, 2013, 08:57 Ozmodan

Games research is and always has been run by a bunch of jerks. I never buy anything attached to them ever.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: RE: Follow up Feb 7, 2013, 22:35 UConnBBall

Heck Games Workshop pulled off full page adds telling fans that they were protecting their IP. They even took down a ton of blogs and fan websites. Why support them?

Oh crap I loved Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 20:00 jdreyer

Between this North Korean video, and that fiberglass mockup that Iran claimed was a fully functioning stealth fighter, I'd say there's a competition to see who is the biggest amateur.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 17:19 Julio

If they can grab "Space Marine", then I'm going for the word "the". Makes as much sense and worth way more money.  

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 16:58 Yosemite Sam

GW may be dicks but it's the law that's totally fucked.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 15:15 Dev

From my experience GW has ALWAYS been nuclear and nutso about protecting their IP. This isn't even CLOSE to the first time they've pulled something like this.  

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 14:31 Ashley

I always thought GW had "Imperial Space Marines" or "Chaos Space Marines" so I'm surprised that they own the generic "space marines".  

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 13:40 dj LiTh

Oh please please let disney call troops in their new star wars movie space marines and open a can of whoop ass on GW  

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 13:19 Orogogus

You can totally trademark things used in everyday speech, like Apple, as long as it's limited to a market, and not already a generic term within that field.

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html -- there are a lot of common words like apple, aqua, carbon, cocoa and time machine in there with no modifier. Dell can't jump into the market and sell an "Apple" laptop by just not calling it an "Apple computer".

GW's bullying here is almost certainly because of the title of the book. They probably can't successfully argue that they own the idea of space marines or the term, but they have a fair chance at demonstrating that a book with "Space Marines" in the title confuses people, as the only other such non-GW books are from the 1930s and not available on Amazon. If they want to be aggressive jerks about they could claim that the author was intentionally trying to ride on their success.

At this point it's just an Amazon takedown, though, so someone would have to take it to court before any actual claims are made.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 13:17 Creston

good move, Games Workshop. Way to be assholes.

If I wrote sci fi for a living, I'd kindly tell Games Workshop to suck my space marine dick.

Creston

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 TheEmissary

Armengar wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:50:
trademark =/= copyright. GW are attempting to assert that space marines in books are pretty much their space marines. The same way apple trademark their logo etc. It makes no difference if there is prior art (starship troopers etc) as that trademark will have expired unless maintained. If maintained then it can last forever.

Its a shit move by GW but it is one they will win if they can show continuation over other claimants.

Whilst starship troopers is maintained as a trademark (http://www.trademarkia.com/starship-troopers-75110835.html) there is no mention of space marines in there and might well not be in any of the modern material. It would take a lawyer to comb through it all.

The prior art/use and the term being generic should have been enough to block being granted a Trademark. Normally things that are used in very day speech can't be trademarked. You can make variations to trademark things like Apple Computers but not the word Apple.

I think it is a case of first to file not first to create bull again.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 10:50 Armengar

trademark =/= copyright. GW are attempting to assert that space marines in books are pretty much their space marines. The same way apple trademark their logo etc. It makes no difference if there is prior art (starship troopers etc) as that trademark will have expired unless maintained. If maintained then it can last forever.

Its a shit move by GW but it is one they will win if they can show continuation over other claimants.

Whilst starship troopers is maintained as a trademark (http://www.trademarkia.com/starship-troopers-75110835.html) there is no mention of space marines in there and might well not be in any of the modern material. It would take a lawyer to comb through it all.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 10:56.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 10:32 TheEmissary

Space Marine is such a generic term and one that would have likely been independently created many times. Militaries around the world have Marines or the equivalent thereof and extrapolating the future would suggest we would have them in space.

Is their problem with calling them "Space Marines" or the description and depiction of them. If its just vaguaries what is to stop Superman owners from going after every series that implement the equivalent super hero. what about the Tolkien estate going after any one that has a high fantasy series dealing with elves or a magical ring.

I can see a problem if it was using very specific elements of the lore.

Interesting Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_marine

This shows the name being used before Games Workshop used it.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2013, 10:37.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 10:19 Cutter

Why do people keep supporting such a dick company?  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 09:29 Verno

This is idiotic, you could nuke half of the sci-fi catalog on Amazon for using some form of "space marine".  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 09:25 avianflu

giving them rights to "space marine" was the first mistake.

Too generic a phrase and Heinlein's famous books about space marines pre-date GW anyway.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2013, 09:03 InBlack

GW being assholes, nothing new here.  

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo