Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim HD Pack Updated

Bethesda Blog has details on an update that's now available on Steam for the free HD texture pack for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:

In a continued effort to support our PC fanbase, weíve released a Steam update to Skyrimís (free) HD Texture Pack. In addition to high resolution textures in the main game, the update adds improved textures for Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and the newly-released Dragonborn.

Before you download, make sure your PC has the horsepower to support it. Make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrimís recommended specs before attempting to install, and that your PC has Windows Vista/7, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM, and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.

If you already have the Skyrim texture pack, be aware that youíll be downloading an update thatís approximately 4.7 GB in size.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 kyleb

Any developer worth their salt knows texture resolution wasn't the issue with Crysis.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 11:28 Creston

kyleb wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 05:46:
And since you do actually need quite a beefy rig to be able to run the game well with this texture pack, if you include it from the start, the people with lesser rigs will get shitty performance.
No, people with lesser rigs just have to use a lower texture quality setting so lower resolution mipmaps are used, like has been done in PC games for well over a decade now.

Developers are scared to do this. It's called the Crysis effect.

Creston

12. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 10:21 dj LiTh

Between this, Skyrim 2k HD Lite, Static Mesh, Immersive Armors & Immersive Weapons, W.A.T.E.R., i'm always at my 1gb limit on my SLI'd 460's. I've read that hitting 2.5gb of video ram is very easy to do with mod textures.  

11. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 09:32 avianflu

though these texture packs are great to tell you the truth I dont *need* them to enjoy the game.

The default textures are fuzzy but they are well-executed at their resolution.

10. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 08:40 nin

entr0py wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 00:14:
Why not just include proper PC textures in the PC version from the start? I remember other console ports doing the same thing, and pretending like it's a free bonus rather than a patch to complete the game posthoc.

Why make people download another 4.7 gig if their video card is so old they can't use them?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 05:46 kyleb

And since you do actually need quite a beefy rig to be able to run the game well with this texture pack, if you include it from the start, the people with lesser rigs will get shitty performance.
No, people with lesser rigs just have to use a lower texture quality setting so lower resolution mipmaps are used, like has been done in PC games for well over a decade now. Also, they obviously had the textures in the HD pack before the game released, as the textures in the base game are just downsampled versions of the ones in the HD texture pack.

8. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 03:02 jacobvandy

Huh, I thought they already released the one for Dawnguard a while ago, because this is the third hi-res texture pack I have installed now. Did the original one come in two parts? I forget...  

7. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 01:41 Bob

Why not just include proper PC textures in the PC version from the start?

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if you wanted to release a multi-platform title on the xbox360 there were contracts in place that did not allow you to have better versions of the game released on the other platforms.

6. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 01:11 Creston

Why not just include proper PC textures in the PC version from the start? I remember other console ports doing the same thing, and pretending like it's a free bonus rather than a patch to complete the game posthoc.

Well, there's a couple of reasons. When they released Skyrim, they had no HD texture pack, and they waited to see how the game did on PC to decide whether to bundle up their high(er) res textures.

Now, with Dragonborn, I'm sure they saw the amount of pre-orders and decided to do one straight away.

I have no problem with the way Bethesda has done this. When was the last time a developer

A) Included several major performance improving mods into its actual patches.
B) Released not one but TWO HD texture packs for its game?

On a sidenote, some funny guy was whining at Bethesda's community manager that he wanted the HD textures for his PS3 version. Apparently the word "performance" is something that's not in his vocabulary. Heh, for the PS3. It can't run Vanilla Skyrim at 30fps. With the texture pack in place, I doubt it'd get 5fps.

Creston

5. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 7, 2013, 00:14 entr0py

4. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 6, 2013, 23:04 Zardoz5

Visceral needs to make one for DS3. Yeah they aren't going too, but certain textures look like ass.  

3. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 6, 2013, 22:49 WyldKat

I'm still pleased that, in addition to them releasing mod tools for their RPGs, Bethesda is still supporting the game with stuff like this, in addition to the various features that have been added free of charge, like mounted combat.  

2. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 6, 2013, 21:16 fujiJuice

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 21:13:
Nice! This is always a great treat when the developers do this instead of the Mod community. These packs should be standard with all PC releases that have a console release as well.

Edit: I just want to make clear I support the Mod community too..lol.

Yeah it is nice to get it straight from the source.

1. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 6, 2013, 21:13 Techie714 ©

Nice! This is always a great treat when the developers do this instead of the Mod community. These packs should be standard with all PC releases that have a console release as well.

Edit: I just want to make clear I support the Mod community too..lol.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo