Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?

Ars Technica has details from today's D.I.C.E. Summit keynote by Valve's Gabe Newell and Hollywood's J.J. Abrams where one of the topics was a game/movie collaboration. At one point Abrams says he has an "idea for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on" which inspired the following response from Newell: "We're also interested in working with you guys on movies. We're going to see if we can make a Portal movie or a Half-Life movie."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:46 Agent.X7

bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:26:
JJ Abrams can go JJ fuck himself.

If anyone from hollywood makes a Half-life movie its gonna suck. END of story.

Now if someone that is creative makes a half-life movie, e.g. the guy that did District 9, or if QT tried a sci-fi movie, it could be great.

Do half-life 1 from 3 different points of view - like in the expansion packs.
1 point of view from gordon freeman
another from Shepherd (the soldier in Opposing forces)
and another from the security guard from the Blue Shift expansion.

that would be cool.

someone give me $50 mil and i'll make a movie thats awesome.

Ah, just like people with no acting experience that think they could act in a film, people with no directing experience could take 50 million and make a great film.

No.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:44 Beamer

bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:26:

Now if someone that is creative makes a half-life movie, e.g. the guy that did District 9, or if QT tried a sci-fi movie, it could be great.

that would be cool.

So... to sum up... if anyone in Hollywood does a HL movie it's going to suck, but these wo other guys who are also from Hollywood would do it well.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Also, QT doing a HL movie would just be Alyx and Gordon discussing 70s music and people they've made out with for 75 minutes, with the camera oddly lingering on Alyx's bare feet, followed by 10 minutes of action.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:26 bigspender

that would be cool.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

25. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:24 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:54:
JJ Abrams movie pitch for Half Life

Okay we open the movie on Xen which is now a remote island in the south pacific, huge lens flare washes across the screen...

Except that lens flare was never in the script. JJ added them in himself. I didn't even notice them the first time I saw the movie.

Also, it was something that he did exclusively for Star Trek, and won't replicate in any other movie:

I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many." But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 17:54 DangerDog

JJ Abrams movie pitch for Half Life

Okay we open the movie on Xen which is now a remote island in the south pacific, huge lens flare washes across the screen...

23. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 17:40 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:12:
I liked the new Star Trek as a movie on it's own, but it's a Star Trek blasphemy. They totally destroyed the previous Star Trek legacy. It barely has links, other than character names. It's a dumbed down mindless explosion fest.
As a Star Trek fan - having watched every episode of every series and every film - I completely disagree. Alternate universes are already established canon and doing so gives him the freedom to reinvent the franchise without contradicting existing canon. The lens flare in the film was terrible but overall it was a compelling new addition to the franchise.

As for a Half-Life movie by JJ Abrams, that would be better than giving it to a nobody director. I really liked Fringe (earlier seasons), Lost and Star Trek, so to me it sounds very promising.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 17:36 gravity

ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:27:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:23:
Both will suck. 1. Because video game movies suck, and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

While this has a good chance of being true, there are several movies of games that are pretty good. Same with games of movies. There are also a lot of them that suck, but I wanna dispel the idea that they all do.

Let's expand upon this comment..

Name three 'faithful' and 'quality' game-related films. I can't think of two that I would actually want to re-visit more than the first viewing (meaning, low in quality).

Not saying you're not gonna be able to... I just can't think of more than one...

21. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 17:15 Fantaz

Gabe Newell saw $$$ when he found out J.J.'s doing da new Star Wars, hes like damn... i gots tah get me some of dat cash money... GG! word  

20. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:51 jdreyer

While that portal movie that Danny Trachtenberg made was totally awesome, I don't know that there's enough in Portal to make a movie.

Half Life (1 or 2), on the other hand are basically already storyboarded and would make great movies once adapted into a script. While I think JJ is a great fit (he's a geek of the first order) for something like that, his plate is pretty full for the next decade. Let's run through the list:

Joss: his talent is really with large casts, and HL is a lone wolf story. Still, a top director for this material.

Zack Snyder: excels at action, but I'd want him to cut back on the slo mo.

Michael Bay: As long as he got a good script, an over the top actiony HL could be fun. Thinking more The Rock and The Island, not Transformers.

Neil Marshall: Directed The Descent, would definitely make a tension filled HL movie.

Sam Raimi: A solid choice. Good for this material having done both action and horror.

My number one though?
Chris Nolan: This would be an amazing Half Life movie. Gritty, with the right balance between action and realism.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:47 ItBurn

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:38:
I liked the new Star Trek as a movie on it's own, but it's a Star Trek blasphemy. They totally destroyed the previous Star Trek legacy. It barely has links, other than character names. It's a dumbed down mindless explosion fest.

I've watched most star trek shows (never saw enterprise) and all the movies, but I wouldn't say I was a rabid fan. I don't even particularly remember the 2009 movie all that well other than it had time travel and young star trek characters (and that I enjoyed it.) What specifically did they destroy? I'm not trying to argue; I'm just curious.

Hmmm, watching a bunch of episodes of the next generation or voyager would be the best explanation. But basically, Star Trek 2009 is a popcorn action movie. The series, not popcorn action movie.

18. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:38 AngelicPenguin

I've watched most star trek shows (never saw enterprise) and all the movies, but I wouldn't say I was a rabid fan. I don't even particularly remember the 2009 movie all that well other than it had time travel and young star trek characters (and that I enjoyed it.) What specifically did they destroy? I'm not trying to argue; I'm just curious.

17. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:37 Agent.X7

I like JJ and his collaborators. Liked Alias, Lost, Fringe, Mission Impossible movies, the new Trek (I dislike old Trek), and I hope he can breath some new life into the massively diluted Star Wars franchise. I'm not sure how Poertal would work as a movie, though. It was a great game for the action puzzles, but that probably won't translate well into a movie.

Also, Cloverfield and Super 8? Meh. The guy is a good film maker, but he's not infallible.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:31 AngelicPenguin

ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:27:
Both will suck. 1. Because video game movies suck, and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

While this has a good chance of being true, there are several movies of games that are pretty good. Same with games of movies. There are also a lot of them that suck, but I wanna dispel the idea that they all do.

I'm not really sure you can dispel an opinion, but ok.

15. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:22 El Pit

Hm... The G-Man will be the bad guy in the new Star Wars Episode, and Gordon Freeman will turn out to be a nephew of Luke Skywalker, fighting the evil Sith with his Laser Crowbar. Oh, and he'll be flying in the NCC-1701, and he once fell through an artificial wormhole (a PORTAL!) made by Nero, and suddenly found himself in our world suffering from amnesia, where he studied to become a member of Black Mesa!

Hollywood, I'm sitting right by my phone. CALL ME!!!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

14. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:22 Yakubs

J.J. Abrams is horrible. Everything he touches is either blatantly stupid (Star Trek) or pretends to be smart but is clearly stupid (Fringe).  

13. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:12 ItBurn

12. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:09 pagb

Well, if anything hell port the games' lens flares faithfully to the big screen.  

11. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 15:59 mag

deqer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:56:
and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

Yah, but J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek (2009), and I felt he did a very good job at it.

I really disliked his Star Trek, and I've not cared for anything else I've seen from him. BUT. Half-Life has so little plot already, I could actually see him pull that off. That seems like a good fit.

10. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 15:58 nin

deqer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:56:
and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

Yah, but J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek (2009), and I felt he did a very good job at it.

Dear god. It happened. We agree.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 15:56 deqer

and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo