Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?

Ars Technica has details from today's D.I.C.E. Summit keynote by Valve's Gabe Newell and Hollywood's J.J. Abrams where one of the topics was a game/movie collaboration. At one point Abrams says he has an "idea for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on" which inspired the following response from Newell: "We're also interested in working with you guys on movies. We're going to see if we can make a Portal movie or a Half-Life movie."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 9, 2013, 20:43 bigspender

Ant wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:05:
gravity wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:00:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 20:41:
gravity wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:36:

Let's expand upon this comment..

Name three 'faithful' and 'quality' game-related films. I can't think of two that I would actually want to re-visit more than the first viewing (meaning, low in quality).

Not saying you're not gonna be able to... I just can't think of more than one...

Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat, both Tomb Raider movies, Max Payne, Prince of Persia. You might not have liked some of them, but those were solid movies with solid actors and scripts. Some would add resident evil (not me), but I'd add Doom (loved it). I don't know if you'd count the recent Mortal Kombat web series, but these were awesome.

I'm proud of you for saying "Silent Hill" - that was my "one." Too bad Revelations wasn't that great - but it wasn't terrible either.

MK was cool when I was 12 - I re-watched it recently. Effects technology advancement ignored, it really wasn't very good. Good call with Doom though, despite it being 'not great' or very in-depth, it was reasonably honest with the material.
Huh? DOOM was awful IMO. I watched it over my Christmas 2012 break. :/

+ 1 doom was a terrible movie - i liked the first person bit though, but apart from that it was just terrible.

the story didn't even remotely follow that of the doom games. apart from being on mars.

event horizon's story was closer to the doom story

47. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 8, 2013, 17:05 Ant

gravity wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:00:

Name three 'faithful' and 'quality' game-related films. I can't think of two that I would actually want to re-visit more than the first viewing (meaning, low in quality).

Not saying you're not gonna be able to... I just can't think of more than one...

Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat, both Tomb Raider movies, Max Payne, Prince of Persia. You might not have liked some of them, but those were solid movies with solid actors and scripts. Some would add resident evil (not me), but I'd add Doom (loved it). I don't know if you'd count the recent Mortal Kombat web series, but these were awesome.

I'm proud of you for saying "Silent Hill" - that was my "one." Too bad Revelations wasn't that great - but it wasn't terrible either.

MK was cool when I was 12 - I re-watched it recently. Effects technology advancement ignored, it really wasn't very good. Good call with Doom though, despite it being 'not great' or very in-depth, it was reasonably honest with the material.
Huh? DOOM was awful IMO. I watched it over my Christmas 2012 break. :/

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 8, 2013, 17:00 gravity

45. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 18:06 bigspender

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:46:
bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:26:
JJ Abrams can go JJ fuck himself.

If anyone from hollywood makes a Half-life movie its gonna suck. END of story.

Now if someone that is creative makes a half-life movie, e.g. the guy that did District 9, or if QT tried a sci-fi movie, it could be great.

Do half-life 1 from 3 different points of view - like in the expansion packs.
1 point of view from gordon freeman
another from Shepherd (the soldier in Opposing forces)
and another from the security guard from the Blue Shift expansion.

that would be cool.

someone give me $50 mil and i'll make a movie thats awesome.

Ah, just like people with no acting experience that think they could act in a film, people with no directing experience could take 50 million and make a great film.

No.

Funny cause I was just thinking that there are people that have heaps of experiene either acting or directing, yet they hopeless - and there is a sea of them.

44. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 17:19 bigspender

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:44:
bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:26:
JJ Abrams can go JJ fuck himself.

If anyone from hollywood makes a Half-life movie its gonna suck. END of story.

Now if someone that is creative makes a half-life movie, e.g. the guy that did District 9, or if QT tried a sci-fi movie, it could be great.

Do half-life 1 from 3 different points of view - like in the expansion packs.
1 point of view from gordon freeman
another from Shepherd (the soldier in Opposing forces)
and another from the security guard from the Blue Shift expansion.

that would be cool.

someone give me $50 mil and i'll make a movie thats awesome.

So... to sum up... if anyone in Hollywood does a HL movie it's going to suck, but these wo other guys who are also from Hollywood would do it well.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Also, QT doing a HL movie would just be Alyx and Gordon discussing 70s music and people they've made out with for 75 minutes, with the camera oddly lingering on Alyx's bare feet, followed by 10 minutes of action.

i'd prefer that over Half-Life: The Fast and Furious Dude Bro edition

or in JJ abrams case, lets take the cool bits from the previous movies and then write a really illogical and unbelievable script to make them roughly fit together.

43. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 11:08 Armengar

then it will be HL mod films by ewe boll

good lord no.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

42. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 11:05 AngelicPenguin

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:59:
secondly time travel doesnt work like that -

You really typed that didn't you.

41. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 10:24 Ant

rist3903 wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 02:16:
Doesn't he have enough on his plate?

I was thinking the same too! :/

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

40. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 10:24 Ant

axe1970 wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 23:05:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 20:14:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Breaking_Bad/70143836?locale=en-US

There's your Freeman, sign him up JJ.

Stephen Heaslip would make a good Gordon
Or my coworker who is also a gamer.

39. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 05:37 InBlack

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:38:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:12:
I liked the new Star Trek as a movie on it's own, but it's a Star Trek blasphemy. They totally destroyed the previous Star Trek legacy. It barely has links, other than character names. It's a dumbed down mindless explosion fest.

I've watched most star trek shows (never saw enterprise) and all the movies, but I wouldn't say I was a rabid fan. I don't even particularly remember the 2009 movie all that well other than it had time travel and young star trek characters (and that I enjoyed it.) What specifically did they destroy? I'm not trying to argue; I'm just curious.

Well for one thing it lacks the grandiose ideas that defined Star Trek, things like a vision of a united humanity, universal Altruism, the search for knowledge, and all the idealistic goodies that defined Rodenberry's vision. Its a utopia, and the movie doesnt even touch on those things. The blatant Nokia commercial almost made me want to throw up.

Dont get me wrong, its an enjoyable movie and I sort of thought it introduced the cast quite well but I was hoping on a more Star Trekky feel which just wasnt there.

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 7, 2013, 02:16 rist3903

Doesn't he have enough on his plate?

37. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 23:49 netnerd85

When overrated forces combine!  

36. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 23:05 axe1970

Stephen Heaslip would make a good Gordon

I don't read the fine print.

35. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 23:00 SectorEffector

frag.machine wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 19:47:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:51:
While that portal movie that Danny Trachtenberg made was totally awesome, I don't know that there's enough in Portal to make a movie.

Half Life (1 or 2), on the other hand are basically already storyboarded and would make great movies once adapted into a script. While I think JJ is a great fit (he's a geek of the first order) for something like that, his plate is pretty full for the next decade. Let's run through the list:

Joss: his talent is really with large casts, and HL is a lone wolf story. Still, a top director for this material.

Zack Snyder: excels at action, but I'd want him to cut back on the slo mo.

Michael Bay: As long as he got a good script, an over the top actiony HL could be fun. Thinking more The Rock and The Island, not Transformers.

Neil Marshall: Directed The Descent, would definitely make a tension filled HL movie.

Sam Raimi: A solid choice. Good for this material having done both action and horror.

My number one though?
Chris Nolan: This would be an amazing Half Life movie. Gritty, with the right balance between action and realism.

I'd vote for Neill Blomkamp.

The best answer here.

Even by their nature they are the same.. Amazing with an incredible modest lowbrow attitude.

Fun fact:

Neil made the entire District 9 film including post production for around the same amount Arnold got paid just to STAR in the crap Terminator 3 Film.

Any big name just feels wrong with a company like Valve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

34. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 20:44 ItBurn

I would have gone with Charlie Sheen if he didn't go completely insane. The breaking bad guy looks fine though, but maybe a bit old.

Sheen

33. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 20:41 ItBurn

ItBurn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:27:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:23:
Both will suck. 1. Because video game movies suck, and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

While this has a good chance of being true, there are several movies of games that are pretty good. Same with games of movies. There are also a lot of them that suck, but I wanna dispel the idea that they all do.

32. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 20:14 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

31. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 19:47 frag.machine

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:51:
While that portal movie that Danny Trachtenberg made was totally awesome, I don't know that there's enough in Portal to make a movie.

Half Life (1 or 2), on the other hand are basically already storyboarded and would make great movies once adapted into a script. While I think JJ is a great fit (he's a geek of the first order) for something like that, his plate is pretty full for the next decade. Let's run through the list:

Joss: his talent is really with large casts, and HL is a lone wolf story. Still, a top director for this material.

Zack Snyder: excels at action, but I'd want him to cut back on the slo mo.

Michael Bay: As long as he got a good script, an over the top actiony HL could be fun. Thinking more The Rock and The Island, not Transformers.

Neil Marshall: Directed The Descent, would definitely make a tension filled HL movie.

Sam Raimi: A solid choice. Good for this material having done both action and horror.

My number one though?
Chris Nolan: This would be an amazing Half Life movie. Gritty, with the right balance between action and realism.

I'd vote for Neill Blomkamp.

30. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 19:05 deqer

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:58:
deqer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:56:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:23:
and 2. It's JJ Abrams.

Yah, but J.J. Abrams directed Star Trek (2009), and I felt he did a very good job at it.

Dear god. It happened. We agree.

Of course we agreed. There's like, a thousand things out there we agree on.

29. Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:59 Orphic Resonance

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:40:
As a Star Trek fan - having watched every episode of every series and every film - I completely disagree. Alternate universes are already established canon and doing so gives him the freedom to reinvent the franchise without contradicting existing canon.

also a fan here, also seen all episodes of all series and movies

and i thought JJs star trek was a piece of shit.. star trek is not "die hard in space!"... the newer one looks better tho

the ending of Fringe was even worse

honestly - the time travel bullshit where someone goes back in time to change something that will "erase" everything that happened previously in the story is such a silly and pointless cliche... its the same thing as if dude had woken up in his bed at the end and said "whoa.... it was all just a dream!"

first of all its really really weak writing, secondly time travel doesnt work like that - you cant "erase" part of the timeline of the universe by going back before a certain event and changing it.. once you leave a timeline, you never come back, you just go on to another one - everything that is left behind goes on from where it is.. otherwise nothing would ever happen to begin with - people dont have their minds calibrated to the correct scale to contemplate these kinds of ideas, its just the modern way of throwing in some "deus ex machina" to a story

JJ needs to get off that shit.. star trek was bad enough - Fringe was pretty good but the last season was a horrible revision of the previous stuff

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo