Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings

Metacritic offers its 2013 Game Publisher Rankings, revealing the companies behind the year's best reviewed games. The top ranking among "major publishers" goes to EA, where Mass Effect 3 got a 93 score and the lowest grade was 53 (however unfair) for Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Number two was Microsoft (falling from last year's top spot), number three was Sony, and number four was Nintendo. Activision/Blizzard moved up one spot from last year, an now occupies the number 10 position. The top "mid-size" publisher was Take-Two Interactive, followed by Telltale Games and Square Enix. Thanks Destructoid/VG247.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 8, 2013, 22:50 Dev

entr0py wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 00:23:
at least they give you the average of the taint.
Oooh I like that description of metacritic. LOL
Golwar wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 06:08:
My publisher of the year is Sony btw.
So many amazing little gems with Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Unfinished Swan etc. All new IP with innovative ideas.
Any of that that I can play on PC? Since I don't own a PS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 7, 2013, 06:08 Golwar

It is good to question some practices in this industry, but I don't get why it's questioned how EA gained its top spot just by this aspect. All the last year's games by each publisher are accessible there, so there shouldn't be any doubts left. EA simply generates the best games at the end of the day. Point is that most of them aren't new IP, so this isn't really a surprise.

My publisher of the year is Sony btw.
So many amazing little gems with Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Unfinished Swan etc. All new IP with innovative ideas.

6. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 7, 2013, 00:23 entr0py

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:17:
Dev wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:19:
Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:48:
Dev wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 12:39:
EA getting it makes me wonder if its just because of their sheer size they are likely to have some good stuff, or because they have the juice to get a lot of good reviews. More probably a mix of both.

If by "juice" you mean "Advertisement dollars", then yes.
Well that and everything else that marketing does to boost scores. I was thinking of the more shady stuff when I said that. I'm sure it all goes into the marketing budget.

Yeah, access to devs, exclusive previews, paid flights to dev HQ, etc. etc. And there's also shady stuff where the author of a review might say what he thinks, but then the number assigned to the review is made 10 points higher by the site manager.

There is an incestuous relationship between the gaming press that and the gaming industry that gives them 100% of their advertizing revenue. Unfortunately I haven't found any more objective measure of games than mertacritic. It's all tainted; but at least they give you the average of the taint.

5. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 6, 2013, 20:57 sauron

Both Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon's Dogma made that list of hit games, but the former is almost unavailable in the US due to Gamestop signing an exclusive distribution deal and then not distributing, while the latter is restricted in terms of platform.

I'd LOVE to play both titles and am sure many others would as well. Why are there restrictions? There's money to be made - reviews of both games are stellar.

Kittens!

4. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 6, 2013, 15:17 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:19:
EA getting it makes me wonder if its just because of their sheer size they are likely to have some good stuff, or because they have the juice to get a lot of good reviews. More probably a mix of both.

Well that and everything else that marketing does to boost scores. I was thinking of the more shady stuff when I said that. I'm sure it all goes into the marketing budget.

Yeah, access to devs, exclusive previews, paid flights to dev HQ, etc. etc. And there's also shady stuff where the author of a review might say what he thinks, but then the number assigned to the review is made 10 points higher by the site manager.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 6, 2013, 14:19 Dev

2. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 6, 2013, 13:48 Creston

If by "juice" you mean "Advertisement dollars", then yes. It's especially funny to watch PC gamer slag a minor EA game to keep up its appearance of independence, then post an absolutely fucking ABSURD article where they argue that (paraphrased) the new Sim City's "city size" really isn't small when you look at it from a certain perspective yadda yadda yadda oh god EA please advertise more with us we need to suck on your money teat!

That said, ME3 was an excellent game, but it surprises me that it was enough to yank up their (EA) score to the #1 spot.

Creston

1. Re: Metacritic Game Publisher Rankings Feb 6, 2013, 12:39 Dev

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo