Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Currency Conversions

Blizzard announces currency conversions will be part of the upcoming version 5.2 update for World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. They explain the process, and offer the following overview: "Patch 5.2 introduces a new raid tier and PvP season, and so the higher tier currencies will be down-converted during maintenance. This time around there won’t be a soft cap, old Valor items aren’t changing to cost Justice, and we’re adding a new rank of PvP gear."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 20:33 sauron

Fion wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:25:
I think the real question deqer is why would you continue pay to play for those reasons.

I personally stopped playing WoW when GW2 came out and hit me in the face with the realization that I was paying for the privilege to sit around in town while waiting for my raid/random to start so I could go after that 1% drop or gather my points to spend in rainbow sunshine gear. What a TREMENDOUS waste of money.

Say what ya will about GW2 but I've gotten far more fun, and far more regular (and content packed) updates to the game in the ~6 months it's been out than in the ~6 years I put into WoW.. sans the $4000 or so I put into that game.

I feel the same - have had more fun in GW2 than I did in 8 years of FFXI, barring a 2 year period when I was a core member of a really amazing guild of great folks. But that was all about people - the FFXI game mechanics got in the way but we still had a wonderful time. In GW2 the mechanics are designed to enable, not hinder the fun. The potential for good times is much, much greater.

The old ways of MMOs are done. I think everything new in the genre that arrives will have been colored by the changes GW2 has brought to the table. And that's a really good thing.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 19:13 deqer

Frijoles wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:02:
I don't cry when a movie ends (unless it was really good), despite having nothing to show for it. Feels the same with WoW.
It's not the fact that the movie has ended; it's the fact that you purchased the movie(DVD, let's say), and then suddenly you try to play it one day in the future and it doesn't play because it expired for whatever reason.

MMO is big game; so big, it amazes. This amazing feeling is what drives you to play it; so amazing, that you purposely tell yourself "it's okay. im having fun anyways.", but really, you're wasting all that time you're investing.

Companies own you; and since you invested so much time, you then find it hard to refuse any decisions/changes the company does to the game. You let the company shove it down your throat, and you eat it; because really, what choice to do you have anyways? If you disagree, then you lose all your stuff and you can't play anymore. So, really, you have to agree. You're owned.

8. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 18:02 Frijoles

I continue to play, as do a bunch of my friends. We all say the same thing, someday it will all be gone. All the money we've put in to it, all the items we've collected in a virtual world, all the time. It'll be gone someday. Won't be for a while, though. EQ is still up. And honestly, I don't care. I enjoy it. I don't cry when a movie ends (unless it was really good), despite having nothing to show for it. Feels the same with WoW. I play now to hang out with my online friends.  

7. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 16:01 deqer

Yes, but why invest your time into something that you truly don't own; something that can change on you whether you agree or not; something that you know could disappear at any second. Sure, you may feel it's unlikely to happen, but the fact that it's a possibility, is the issue; knowing that possibility, brings that sore feeling to yourself that you are wasting your time. You are being owned.

So yes, that applies to GW and any MMO I guess.

6. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 15:25 Fion

I think the real question deqer is why would you continue pay to play for those reasons.

I personally stopped playing WoW when GW2 came out and hit me in the face with the realization that I was paying for the privilege to sit around in town while waiting for my raid/random to start so I could go after that 1% drop or gather my points to spend in rainbow sunshine gear. What a TREMENDOUS waste of money.

Say what ya will about GW2 but I've gotten far more fun, and far more regular (and content packed) updates to the game in the ~6 months it's been out than in the ~6 years I put into WoW.. sans the $4000 or so I put into that game.

5. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 11:20 nin

This feces smeared wall brought to you by deqer, the last name in quality posting...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 11:19 deqer

NoyzRulz wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:14:
Why would you write 2 paragraphs if you didn't care?
Why can't I feel sorry for the millions of people still playing, that don't yet realize this?

At least I have feelings, bro.

3. No subject Feb 6, 2013, 11:14 NoyzRulz

Why would you write 2 paragraphs if you didn't care? Oh, the answer is up to 12 million people at one point.  

2. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 10:48 deqer

Why would I play a game where the company has control over it while I play/own it? Why would I play a game when a company can suddenly stick their nose into my business and start changing anything they want, when they want, however they want, and they change it whether I agree with the changes or not.

Why should I play a game, when knowing all that? Who the hell would feel comfortable playing a game when knowing all that? Knowing that the game could suddenly change on you, for the worst; knowing that the game could suddenly die because the company died; although unlikely, it's still possible; and that's what ruins it all.

1. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 10:16 deqer

" This time around there won’t be a soft cap"

Sorry, but you already ruined your reputation. No one can trust you anymore. Whether you say a cap will be there or not, we just don't know; we can't trust you that you say there won't be a cap. It's too late for trust now.

So, take your MMO, your cap mechanics, and your conversion/grind'ish mechanics and kindly shove it up your ass.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo