Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 07:16 Redmask

DangerDog wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 02:39:
Redmask wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:27:
I know people who would buy a lot less console games if they weren't able to trade in the duds so this would only hurt them in the long run. I doubt Gamestop would take that lying down, they would penalize any system that doesn't allow used sales by denying floor space and like them or not, they're a major presence in the videogame industry.

shovel ware may still exist on both systems but perhaps it's a decision the publisher makes as to if you can trade in / sell your used copy.

Publishers would never decide to let you do that, come on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 02:39 DangerDog

I know people who would buy a lot less console games if they weren't able to trade in the duds so this would only hurt them in the long run. I doubt Gamestop would take that lying down, they would penalize any system that doesn't allow used sales by denying floor space and like them or not, they're a major presence in the videogame industry.

shovel ware may still exist on both systems but perhaps it's a decision the publisher makes as to if you can trade in / sell your used copy.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 22:37 Jensen

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 12:29:
Europe requires that you can re-sell even downloaded games and I would expect that those kinds of rules will spread. Why try to stop used game sales so late in the game? I would focus my efforts on working out a scheme that will satisfy the EU and implement that all over the world instead. Aim for features the future will require not for the features of the past.
The reasoning behind the first-sale doctrine breaks down when you can instantly transfer something with no loss in quality.... Especially for single-player games with limited replayability.

I would guess that the system works a lot like Steam, which I'd be fine with, except...
  • You're tied to a device made by the same company

• XBox Live has a subscription fee

• Ads
  •  

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 22:10 Dev

You and I know that, but MS thinks otherwise.

Also if both sony and MS do it, gamestop won't have anyone specific to penalize.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 17:27 Redmask

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 16:53 DangerDog

The only ones affected by MS forcing internet access for their next console will be people in rural areas.

but they're not really gamers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up8siWU92yI

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 17:15.

28. Re: Errr... Beamer? Feb 6, 2013, 16:38 Undocumented Alien

What does Sony do? Do they leave their console "open", expecting all gamers to flock to it? Or do they figure that if they don't follow in the same path as MS, publishers will be pissed and release on Xbox only?

Great point, it would be common sense to see game publishers cheering for the end of rentals, and if M$ gives them that they might get more exclusive rights on games, could kill Sony if they do.

Really disliking this "always on" trend happening in gaming.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 16:30 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 10:09:
    And yeah looking at the article it seems like they're trying to stop all second hand sales, haha wow. I hope for their sake that's not true.
    Why?
    It never stopped PC gamers to shop on Steam.
    I am pretty sure Microsoft and Sony both looking at Steam and thinking this is it.

I am not saying this will work for console games, but we will see.

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 15:57 nin

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:53:
    Well, no point in bringing the next Xbox up to the cabin in the woods. I guess you'd be too busy anyway, fighting off the Bruckner family and all.

Fucking loved that movie! Need to dig it out again...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 15:53 jdreyer

Well, no point in bringing the next Xbox up to the cabin in the woods. I guess you'd be too busy anyway, fighting off the Bruckner family and all.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 14:23 Dev

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:46:
    That's what makes me a bit dubious about this, there isn't much of an up side for Microsoft here other than favor with publishers.
    MS loves having more control over every market they are in. See win 8 for only the most recent example.
    As well, I'm sure they have the view that having activation and tying would increase sales since it would eliminate used sales (they get crazier with every version of windows with activation).
    Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:55:
    This is one of those things neither Microsoft or Sony can really do first. They either both do it or neither do it.

Odds on both doing it?
    If one does, they both will I'm sure.
    Like some time ago all the big hdd companies reducing warranties to 1 year from 3, all within a few weeks of one another. You can't tell me that was a coincidence.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 14:48.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 13:55 Beamer

This is one of those things neither Microsoft or Sony can really do first. They either both do it or neither do it.

Odds on both doing it?

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 13:46 Verno

avianflu wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:29:
    If true, it is yet another reason not to get the new xbox console.

The WiiU did not sell well at all and I suspect MS and Sony and carefully thinking about all of their options.

That's what makes me a bit dubious about this, there isn't much of an up side for Microsoft here other than favor with publishers. I would think the other consoles would see more adoption as the ability to rent/sell games is a pretty incentive to own one. This is the kind of thing that could take on a life of its own in word of mouth too so they need to be really careful.

I can see Microsoft trying to make Live Gold mandatory though.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
    Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

21. Re: Errr... Beamer? Feb 6, 2013, 13:44 Creston

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:10:
    •Report: Next Xbox will require Internet connection.

The Next Xbox will require not being purchased from my home, much like D3.

Your right, hopefully Sony won't go down this road with the "PS4" or I won't be buying any of the next-gen consoles.

So here's an interesting scenario. Sony has already said they see no reason to come out first (or at least, come out before the Xbox, since Nintendo has obviously beaten both of them to market.)

So Sony waits for MS, and MS does the stupid thing with always-on internet requirements and absolutely banishing used sales with unique 'one use only' activation keys that tie to your account.

What does Sony do? Do they leave their console "open", expecting all gamers to flock to it? Or do they figure that if they don't follow in the same path as MS, publishers will be pissed and release on Xbox only?

I reckon the first option makes far more sense, since publishers will go where the crowds are, but sense isn't something that's come out of Sony in quite awhile.

Creston

20. Re: Errr... Beamer? Feb 6, 2013, 13:42 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 12:16:
    Your post had me so confused. Timestamp, words that weren't mine, phrases that I'd never use... I had no clue what was going on.

Definitely NOT me. Second hand sales in the US are huge business, I do think they're damaging to the industry but think the battle is more an emotional one than a rational one, definitely don't find anything anyone is doing to be a shining beacon of light (except maybe FTL, that was absolutely a shining beacon of light), etc.

I should have probably explained that this was a comment on the article linked by Verno. D'oh.

I figured it was either someone trolling you, or someone who happens to have the same internet handle.

Creston

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 13:29 avianflu

If true, it is yet another reason not to get the new xbox console.

The WiiU did not sell well at all and I suspect MS and Sony and carefully thinking about all of their options.

18. Re: Errr... Beamer? Feb 6, 2013, 13:10 Undocumented Alien

•Report: Next Xbox will require Internet connection.

The Next Xbox will require not being purchased from my home, much like D3.

Your right, hopefully Sony won't go down this road with the "PS4" or I won't be buying any of the next-gen consoles.

17. Re: Errr... Beamer? Feb 6, 2013, 12:30 Dev

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 12:16:
    Your post had me so confused. Timestamp, words that weren't mine, phrases that I'd never use... I had no clue what was going on.
    It's from a comment on the linked website. Presumably from your response, its from a different Beamer.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 12:29 swedishfriend

Europe requires that you can re-sell even downloaded games and I would expect that those kinds of rules will spread. Why try to stop used game sales so late in the game? I would focus my efforts on working out a scheme that will satisfy the EU and implement that all over the world instead. Aim for features the future will require not for the features of the past.  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 12:28 Dev

Comments are talking about always on being for ads, I find it more likely it will be primarily used for copy protection and control. Perhaps to lock games down to a specific user/console so there's no more used sales, etc.

Edit: And now that I RTFA, thats what they said too

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo