Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Here's a little follow-up on discussions here of color vision deficiency since I brought up the fact that I am a "sufferer" myself. A Cure for Colorblindness? (by way of Ant and Slashdot) discusses a breakthrough that involves corrective lenses. This red/green enhancement comes at the expense of yellow/blue perception, so it's not without its issues (apparently it renders yellow traffic lights invisible), but it's an interesting bit of progress in an area where I never expected any. If nothing practical comes of this, I'd still be interested in experiencing this effect to see how the other half (or other 90%, technically) lives.

Colorful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Notebook Defense.
Links: Kickstarter Open Source Death Star. Thanks nin.
Stories: Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation.
Science: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants.
Media: Honest Trailers - Skyfall.
What really happened to the power at the Super Bowl.
Panhandler Party.
Video Game Villain Therapy: Koopa Turtle (Super Mario Bros. Parody).
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 14:04 Creston

Bethesda has released an update to the Skyrim HD texture pack that now supports Dawnguard and Dragonborn too.

4.7GB download? Holy fucking shit, fellas...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 13:00 Unknown Soldier

Blue wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:14:
This red/green enhancement comes at the expense of yellow/blue perception, so it's not without its issues (apparently it renders yellow traffic lights invisible), but it's an interesting bit of progress in an area where I never expected any.

As far as I can tell, this technology has been in use by a significant portion of the population since I started driving 20 years ago.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 11:55 Creston

The death star KS is hilarious. Especially the chicken wire part.

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 11:53 Creston

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:50:
The gist being peanut butter contains slightly more calories/fat than Nutella, but also contains far more protein and far less sugar. So all you Nutella sympathizers can go cram it with your diabetes paste!

Well, of course it isn't HEALTHY! It's fucking spreadable CHOCOLATE!

It works like a champ on sandwiches. Hmmm, Nutella sandwiches. Of course, I'm Dutch, and the Dutch put everything on bread, so maybe I'm biased.

I like peanut butter well enough, the US version at least, but Nutella is fucking divine.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 10:15 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:35:
Skyfall was great until the home alone portion of the film. I know they ran out of money but it was still a disappointment compared to the jet setting, bombastic build up to that point. For a movie with budget problems it sure had a long runtime too. I'd give it an 8/10.

Yeah, that portion sucked.

And its sucktitude was compounded by it delving into the backstory of Bond. I really don't want to know where he came from. Going into that removes so much of the mystery that makes him interesting.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 Cutter

I told you it isn't healty, just tasty.

And lulz for that Death Star KS. Nice one, Centurion, like it, like it!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 09:57 Orphic Resonance

you never had nutella? its not a big deal - its more like thick cake icing than peanut butter tho

dunno who told you its more "healthy" or whatever but anyone who has ever had it would know that isnt the case.. its loaded with sugar

they used to have a picture of that Kobe dude on the bottle, until he raped some girl.. took a while tho - for a few months it was like a "choose the spread that rapists enjoy most!!" ad campaign

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 09:55 Verno

Nutella is weird, it tastes good but I can't really make it fit anywhere into my diet, the balance is all off. Peanut butter is one of the great snack fat sources so I usually go with that or some olive oil on my salad. On the east coast it ain't cheap either.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 09:50 PHJF

So I ended up doing some snooping around about this Nutella stuff...

Nutella vs peanut butter which is better for you?
Answer:
Peanut butter, even the brands which contain added sugar and salt, is far better for you than Nutella, which is extremely high in sugar. In fact, Nutella's main ingredient is sugar, followed by fat.

It contains around 13 per cent hazelnuts, far less nut content than any peanut butter, which contains 80 to 90 per cent or more of peanuts.

Nutella also contains a little cocoa powder and skimmed milk powder, though not sufficient to allow the product to be called chocolate cream. It's marketed in some places as hazelnut cream, though it contains no cream.

Along with sugar-heavy breakfast cereals, Nutella is one of the least nutritionally-valuable products with a marketing base oriented towards children and, by progression, also bought as an adult snack.

Nutella is also very expensive per serving compared with, say, a bar of genuine hazelnut chocolate. You are paying hugely for advertising costs, to keep you brand-oriented towards the product.

The gist being peanut butter contains slightly more calories/fat than Nutella, but also contains far more protein and far less sugar. So all you Nutella sympathizers can go cram it with your diabetes paste!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 09:35 Verno

Skyfall was great until the home alone portion of the film. I know they ran out of money but it was still a disappointment compared to the jet setting, bombastic build up to that point. For a movie with budget problems it sure had a long runtime too. I'd give it an 8/10.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 09:25 nin

Kickstarter Open Source Death Star.

I believe someone pointed out it ends on April 1st.

Honest Trailers - Skyfall.

Love these. But Skyfall was a damn good movie.

edit: Extreme bonus points for the Lindsay Lohan cameo - ah-hahahahaha.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 09:30.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo