Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Here's a little follow-up on discussions here of color vision deficiency since I brought up the fact that I am a "sufferer" myself. A Cure for Colorblindness? (by way of Ant and Slashdot) discusses a breakthrough that involves corrective lenses. This red/green enhancement comes at the expense of yellow/blue perception, so it's not without its issues (apparently it renders yellow traffic lights invisible), but it's an interesting bit of progress in an area where I never expected any. If nothing practical comes of this, I'd still be interested in experiencing this effect to see how the other half (or other 90%, technically) lives.

Colorful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Notebook Defense.
Links: Kickstarter Open Source Death Star. Thanks nin.
Stories: Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation.
Science: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants.
Media: Honest Trailers - Skyfall.
What really happened to the power at the Super Bowl.
Panhandler Party.
Video Game Villain Therapy: Koopa Turtle (Super Mario Bros. Parody).
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 20:40 Cutter

Peanut...peanut butter....jelly!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 20:33 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:20:

You guys are making me hungry! Amazing how many OotB turn into food talk!

It's cause we're at work, and can't EAT!

Creston

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 20:31 Creston

1badmf wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:45:
hey creston what other types of peanut butter are there? and what are they like compared to the americafuckyeah stuff? i do my best to be a citizen of the world, but some of the more obscure stuff always slips through the cracks of my brain.

I was talking about the differences between countries. Peanut Butter in the US typically has a lot more sugar (at least some brands do), though the Peter Pan PB that my wife and I eat apparently only has 2g per tsp. (compared to Nutella, which has 21g per tsp. )

The Dutch PB I grew up with had no sugar, so personally, as a sweet tooth, I love the US version far more than I do the Dutch one. And I always got an Austrian or Swiss type of PB from a deli, but I can't remember what it was called... It also had quite a bit of sugar in it.

Obviously people's tastes will vary. Some people may hate the sugary stuff and would likely much prefer the Dutch no-sugar-PB.

But in any case, Nutella is better than all of them!

Creston

28. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 19:35 MisterBenn

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:32:
You can make it last longer by drinking as much alcohol as you possibly can to "toughen it up".

It did seem to show all the signs of Whiskey withdrawal when it was first plopped in there: I had to teach it that it will get Gin and Vodka from now on...

Edit: these Honest Trailers seem to have gone past their peak. It's a new voice isn't it? Doesn't seem to have the same attitude as before and the jokes are getting quite similar. I really enjoyed Skyfall although it really uses the Bond artistic license to the limit and the final set piece was crap as mentioned. (spoiler:) Fuel canisters explode and fly up and take down the bad guy in his helicopter, leaving him alive for a confrontation? That's as derivative and lazy as it comes.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 19:46.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 19:02 PHJF

Have you see the price of oil lately? Palm oil is a BONUS!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 18:46 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 18:02:
I'm pretty snooty about morning cereal and coffee but PB is PB. It's all good on toast. In moderation.

Why get one with any oil? PB is PB, unless it has something other than P in it. Your is PPOB.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 18:32 PHJF

I have a kidney from my dad which is perhaps going to last 5 years, maybe 10, maybe as much as 15 more years.

You can make it last longer by drinking as much alcohol as you possibly can to "toughen it up".

24. Re: Scientists 3D-print embryonic stem cells, pave the way for lab-made organ transplants. Feb 6, 2013, 18:19 MisterBenn

Awesome progress on stem cell transplants. I am keeping a big eye open for these articles, I have a kidney from my dad which is perhaps going to last 5 years, maybe 10, maybe as much as 15 more years. I need technology to sort out stem cells ready for when I am need of another one. I'd really love to leave the immunosuppressant tablets behind... come on boffins, full steam ahead!

(Apologies if that interrupted the salivating over food )

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 18:02 PHJF

I use "Natural" Jif. The only difference between it and regular is it uses palm oil instead of hydrogenated stuff (which really I don't give a fuck about, they both cost the same so I get the Natural one so I can pretend to be a co-op-shoppin hipster dick).

I'm pretty snooty about morning cereal and coffee but PB is PB. It's all good on toast. In moderation.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:25 Redmask

1badmf wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:59:
i have a jar of the natural stuff and some jif as well, and the natural stuff is oily as fuck (i'm assuming cuz peanuts are naturally oily). even though jif is high in sugar, at least i'm not biting into the exxon valdes spill. i hate that feeling of having a mouthful of grease.

You stir it and spread it on something, it's not really made for eating a spoon at a time like the ones with artificial flavoring and preservatives.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:20 nin

You guys are making me hungry! Amazing how many OotB turn into food talk!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:18 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:09:
hey creston what other types of peanut butter are there? and what are they like compared to the americafuckyeah stuff? i do my best to be a citizen of the world, but some of the more obscure stuff always slips through the cracks of my brain.

Jif/Skippy vs natural.

I refuse to eat peanut butter with ingredients other than peanuts and salt.

Yeah, avoid Jif/Skippy. In addition to sugar, they have hydrogenated oils to prevent separation of the oil. Better than the partially hydrogenated oils they used to use, but still not good.

Go with something like Adams Peanut Butter.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:13  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:28:
Although my colorblindness has made me feel uncomfortable at times, I have found a nice perk to it. Apparently because of the way the color and light comes into the eye, red/green (mine isn't severe) colorblindess allows me to haev better "night vision". I can almost always see a hell of a lot more and a hell of a lot better in the dark than my peers. I had a conversation with an army buddy who said it helped him in Iraq. He said he could often see in the dark better than his peers. I always thought I could see well in the dark, but didn't know it was linked to my colorblindness. I just figured everyone else sucked at seeing in the dark.

Same here.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:08 nin

1badmf wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 16:59:
i have a jar of the natural stuff and some jif as well, and the natural stuff is oily as fuck (i'm assuming cuz peanuts are naturally oily). even though jif is high in sugar, at least i'm not biting into the exxon valdes spill. i hate that feeling of having a mouthful of grease.

I can't speak for peanut butter, but the almond butter I've looked into is just almonds and oil.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 16:59 1badmf

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 16:09 Beamer

Jif/Skippy vs natural.

I refuse to eat peanut butter with ingredients other than peanuts and salt.

-------------

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 16:07 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:28:
Although my colorblindness has made me feel uncomfortable at times, I have found a nice perk to it. Apparently because of the way the color and light comes into the eye, red/green (mine isn't severe) colorblindess allows me to haev better "night vision". I can almost always see a hell of a lot more and a hell of a lot better in the dark than my peers. I had a conversation with an army buddy who said it helped him in Iraq. He said he could often see in the dark better than his peers. I always thought I could see well in the dark, but didn't know it was linked to my colorblindness. I just figured everyone else sucked at seeing in the dark.

Well at least you're not light sensitive. Oncoming headlights at night, sun reflected off snow, etc. and I'm just blind as a bat.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 15:45 1badmf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 15:28 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:21:
Unknown Soldier wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:00:
Blue wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:14:
This red/green enhancement comes at the expense of yellow/blue perception, so it's not without its issues (apparently it renders yellow traffic lights invisible), but it's an interesting bit of progress in an area where I never expected any.

As far as I can tell, this technology has been in use by a significant portion of the population since I started driving 20 years ago.

There are a few companies out there doing lenses to correct colorblindness. One even claims to correct dyslexia (it's actually more for dyslexia than color blindness but can do both.)

I spent about 25 minutes with that company back in August, quizzing them pretty extensively on their claims. Anecdotally they can back it up, but I'd love to actually talk to some of their users.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 14:21 Beamer

Unknown Soldier wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:00:
Blue wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:14:
This red/green enhancement comes at the expense of yellow/blue perception, so it's not without its issues (apparently it renders yellow traffic lights invisible), but it's an interesting bit of progress in an area where I never expected any.

As far as I can tell, this technology has been in use by a significant portion of the population since I started driving 20 years ago.

There are a few companies out there doing lenses to correct colorblindness. One even claims to correct dyslexia (it's actually more for dyslexia than color blindness but can do both.)

I spent about 25 minutes with that company back in August, quizzing them pretty extensively on their claims. Anecdotally they can back it up, but I'd love to actually talk to some of their users.

-------------

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo