Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn

The Elder Scrolls Website has word that the Dragonborn DLC for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is now available on Steam for the PC edition of Bethesda's RPG sequel. This page has all the details on the add-on, and here's the overview:

With this official add-on for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the island of Solstheim. Encounter new towns, dungeons, and quests, as you traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land. Become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary the first Dragonborn.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 20:08 Silicon Avatar

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 15:07:
Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:36:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:22:
The Nexus network sucks too, their DL servers are down as often as not

I've never had a problem with their premium servers. Oh, you mean the FREE servers? :P

I look at it the opposite way. I wouldn't touch their premium servers if they can't even get the basics down.

My experience with the subscription servers on the Nexus is that they are superior to the free ones. Sometimes I think about getting a lifetime sub.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 15:07 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 14:36:

I've never had a problem with their premium servers. Oh, you mean the FREE servers? :P

I look at it the opposite way. I wouldn't touch their premium servers if they can't even get the basics down.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 14:57 Drayth

Heh, yeah.. nexus subscriber here too. I wont touch Workshop over NMM.

Anyways, someone asked about deleveled monsters, well I use this mod and it does that.. however it does a *ton* more, so may not be for everyone. I suspect it's not for most.

It attempts to make Skyrim into an old school RPG style game, and changes A LOT of the game. However, even people who dislike it admit it's brilliant. If you want something a little more Baldur's Gate like than typical Elder Scrolls...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 14:36 Creston

I've never had a problem with their premium servers. Oh, you mean the FREE servers?

Creston

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 14:22 Verno

To each his own I guess. I hate NMM, the way the columns resize and just plain weird UI stuff pisses me off. The upgrade functionality can also break mods as often as not due to differences in packing and things like texture mods. The Nexus network sucks too, their DL servers are down as often as not and the moderators on there are just plain nuts. I usually stick to Mod Organizer but it's a bit more complex than most people would prefer.  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 14:00 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:50:
Also I'm reasonably certain I spend more time modding Skyrim than actually playing, continuing my long running tradition with Bethesda games in this regard. 3 hours modding, 15 minutes playing, put it down for months, LOL.

Heh. I typically play for 20 or 30 hours after I've gone through a new round of mods (or updates.)

I LOVE that the NMM just shows (And links) the latest versions for you. It's made keeping up with mods soooo much easier.

Creston

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 13:50 Verno

I use RCRN and individual mods to replicate other CoT effects like Immersive Skyrim Thunder, Better Dynamic Snow and so on. CoT conflicts with too many other solid mods and many of the effects felt too exaggerated to me.

That inserted RCRN splash screen was tacky as fucking hell though, removed that in a heartbeart after installation.

Also I'm reasonably certain I spend more time modding Skyrim than actually playing, continuing my long running tradition with Bethesda games in this regard. 3 hours modding, 15 minutes playing, put it down for months, LOL.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 13:45 avianflu

though I like the idea of realistic lighting in theory, it can get in the way of the gameplay. You miss important items, even will magelight or a torch, especially in the interiors. YMMV of course.

The simple mod at skyrimnexus that makes ore deposits glow is great.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 13:09 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:31:
Also, be aware that in typical Bethesda fashion, Dragonborn is dirty, and would benefit from some cleaning.

(follow the link in the dude's post for instructions on how to do it. It's really simple.)

Creston

Good call, i was unaware of this before. Thanks for that!

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 11:31 Creston

Also, be aware that in typical Bethesda fashion, Dragonborn is dirty, and would benefit from some cleaning.

(follow the link in the dude's post for instructions on how to do it. It's really simple.)

Creston

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 11:29 Bopper

Will get this when you can buy it as part of a DLC pack and there is some mod compilation to go with it.  
- Boppa

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 11:25 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 08:23:
Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 21:57:
Which version of Realistic Lighting are you using? I'm pretty sure that the 4.xx version doesn't actually work nice with Climates of Tamriel... (at least, I read a comment to that effect.)

Also beware that UFO causes quite a few crashes.

Creston

I'm using the 4.xx version, if you install it, then download the manual version of CoT and load everything except the dungeons and interiors ESP's they work great together. Really gives it an ultra realistic feel, nights are super dark, light sources and shadows are really amazing. Thanks for the UFO info, i'll deff keep an eye out on it, wasnt totally sure about it but i thought i'd give it a try.

Here is the RLO + CoT Load Order

As for my remark about the workshop being garbage. Its just my opinion of it, i've had a lot of problems of subscribing to a mod, it never indeed downloading. Plus the limited size means you have limited options. Also since there's a few mods that are on the nexus that arent on the workshop, and you have much more control over them (such as loading RLO and CoT peices together). As far as NMM being in "beta", ya thats just a word. It works wonderfully and i've never had a problem with it. Again this is just my experience, personally i like the more control.

Alright, I think I may add CoT then. Thanks.

As for the NMM being in "beta", yeah, that's just because they're still improving it and fixing the occasional bug. Simply going by functionality, if you want to call the NMM a beta, then the Steam Skyrim Workshop is an experimental pre-pre-Alpha.

There mere idea of using multiple mods and having no control over load order is insanity. I'm sure there are some few lucky souls who have no issues, but in general it's begging for a truly fucked up game. (And now that I think about it, those people probably DO have issues, they just don't realize that half the mods they installed aren't working because they are being overwritten by other mods.)

Creston

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 11:18 Creston

Genesys wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:13:
PropheT wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:38:
SkyUI is good enough that they should just pack it with the game now.
If you use the keyboard to navigate menus, also take a look at Better Dialogue Controls and Better MessageBox Controls, which adds keyboard navigation to just about every message box, and fixes keyboard selection of items when your mouse is also in the list area.

Thanks for those!

Creston

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 10:13 dj LiTh

Quinn wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:55:
Anything useful to say about the actual expansion?

I'm having a dilemma I can't seem to get out of. You see.. I bled Skyrim dry. My favorite class is the assassin/archer type, which I have at max level. I don't want to reroll a similar char but I lack the motivation to continue with a maxed out char either.

Something in me wants to do a reroll but fuck me... the first, say, 15 hours have become a HUGE drag for me. I honestly think I accidentily bled the game dry entirely. And damnit I was looking forward to Dragonborn...

I'm not far enough in yet myself, although even with 40 mods on my mod list (previously it was like 5-10) game seems snappier. Maybe that has to do with patches, and the fact i still havent even played dawnguard yet (been waiting for this for my play through). Maybe add in Deadly Combat + SPERG + Apoc Spell Package, and go spellcaster this time around?

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 09:55 Quinn

Anything useful to say about the actual expansion?

I'm having a dilemma I can't seem to get out of. You see.. I bled Skyrim dry. My favorite class is the assassin/archer type, which I have at max level. I don't want to reroll a similar char but I lack the motivation to continue with a maxed out char either.

Something in me wants to do a reroll but fuck me... the first, say, 15 hours have become a HUGE drag for me. I honestly think I accidentily bled the game dry entirely. And damnit I was looking forward to Dragonborn...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 09:39 dj LiTh

Some good additions, i since added Genesys's Better Dialog and Better Message Box controls (as thats how i normally navigated the text menus before, and the mouse does sometimes get in the way.

Also thanks PropheT, i think i just took my skyrim from Vanilla esque to the next level. After doing a lot of reading i added the Deadly Combat (Also Dodge Mod & Dual Parry * Dual Blocking Animation) /w the SPERG and Apoc Spell Package (which will go great with my existing ASIS). I'm looking forward to the increase challenge while still not being overpowered, which is what i'm most warry of with mods.

Happy Hunting

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 08:23 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 21:57:
Which version of Realistic Lighting are you using? I'm pretty sure that the 4.xx version doesn't actually work nice with Climates of Tamriel... (at least, I read a comment to that effect.)

Also beware that UFO causes quite a few crashes.

Creston

I'm using the 4.xx version, if you install it, then download the manual version of CoT and load everything except the dungeons and interiors ESP's they work great together. Really gives it an ultra realistic feel, nights are super dark, light sources and shadows are really amazing. Thanks for the UFO info, i'll deff keep an eye out on it, wasnt totally sure about it but i thought i'd give it a try.

Here is the RLO + CoT Load Order

As for my remark about the workshop being garbage. Its just my opinion of it, i've had a lot of problems of subscribing to a mod, it never indeed downloading. Plus the limited size means you have limited options. Also since there's a few mods that are on the nexus that arent on the workshop, and you have much more control over them (such as loading RLO and CoT peices together). As far as NMM being in "beta", ya thats just a word. It works wonderfully and i've never had a problem with it. Again this is just my experience, personally i like the more control.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 07:05 dumpy

Bad timing - uni just started again =(

Though, that should be enough time for people to update my current mods for it *screeeee!*

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 KilgoreTrout

Since you all seem to be well-informed gentlemen, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion regarding mods that diminish/stop the auto-levelling of enemies (there seem to be a couple of these mods). I haven't played Skyrim yet but will do so pretty soon. I've always had a problem with the fact that the world levels up with you in the Elder Scrolls games, so that you always meet enemies more or less your own level. I find it kills immersion. Any opinions or suggestions?  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 00:13 Genesys

PropheT wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:38:
SkyUI is good enough that they should just pack it with the game now.
If you use the keyboard to navigate menus, also take a look at Better Dialogue Controls and Better MessageBox Controls, which adds keyboard navigation to just about every message box, and fixes keyboard selection of items when your mouse is also in the list area.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo