Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"

A post on reddit by Timothee Besset reflects on his years at id Software, where he worked on programming projects and Linux ports until his departure a year ago (thanks Ant via LinuxGames). In discussing his departure he says id lost interest in the PC, and him leaving is not the reason for there not being a native Linux build of RAGE:

I wasn't able to allocate time to work on native Linux or OSX builds for idTech5 stuff in the last few years I spent there (basically after idTech4 Doom3/Quake4/ETQW). There were plenty of reasons that led to me leaving, but me staying wouldn't have changed much in that regard.

They simply lost interest towards the PC in general during the idTech5 cycle, and they don't have anyone there with Linux chops anymore. But Valve seems to be doing great at bringing AAA Linux stuff to the market now, and there's plenty of indies doing high quality stuff. So here's to the new generation :)

View
12. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 Arithon

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:52:
You must be crazy or blind, because RAGE is one of the best looking games of all time, on console or PC.

Rattlehead

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but really? There are a dozen games, half of which are much older than look better!
RAGE is visually comparable to Unreal Engine 3 games. While the game came out in 2011, the engine tech was devised (and apparently stuck) in 2007, the game was bug-ridden on release and barely ran on a high powered gaming rig.

RAGE is a monument to what happens when a game developer concentrates on the console platforms and squeezes out a steaming pile of PC port as an afterthought.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 5, 21:46 Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" MajorD
  3. Feb 5, 22:02  Re: TTimo: id wtf_man
  10. Feb 6, 03:29  Re: TTimo: id mystery8
  11. Feb 6, 03:31   Re: TTimo: id Kajetan
  2. Feb 5, 22:00 Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Creston
  4. Feb 5, 22:52  Re: TTimo: id Rattlehead
  5. Feb 5, 23:17   Re: TTimo: id The Half Elf
  7. Feb 6, 00:44    Re: TTimo: id Stolk
  6. Feb 6, 00:29   Re: TTimo: id Scottish Martial Arts
  18. Feb 6, 15:59    Re: TTimo: id Eirikrautha