Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"

A post on reddit by Timothee Besset reflects on his years at id Software, where he worked on programming projects and Linux ports until his departure a year ago (thanks Ant via LinuxGames). In discussing his departure he says id lost interest in the PC, and him leaving is not the reason for there not being a native Linux build of RAGE:

I wasn't able to allocate time to work on native Linux or OSX builds for idTech5 stuff in the last few years I spent there (basically after idTech4 Doom3/Quake4/ETQW). There were plenty of reasons that led to me leaving, but me staying wouldn't have changed much in that regard.

They simply lost interest towards the PC in general during the idTech5 cycle, and they don't have anyone there with Linux chops anymore. But Valve seems to be doing great at bringing AAA Linux stuff to the market now, and there's plenty of indies doing high quality stuff. So here's to the new generation :)

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Feb 6, 2013, 17:24 DanteUK

Thanks Timothee for all your hard work on the Linux ports, I played Quake3, Doom3, Quake4 and ET:QW a lot on Linux and loved the fact I didn't have to boot into windows play my games.
I played Rage on Windows and always held a little hope I'd be able to replay on Linux one day, then you left id, a sad day for Linux users.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 15:59 Eirikrautha

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:29:
Screenshots don't do it justice: it has to be seen in motion.

Very true. On a screenshot you can't appreciate the texture pop-in or blurred focus field the way that id intended you to... Oh, wait... Confused

17. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 14:08 edaciousx

rage was sort of boring... the sky looked incredible though. so sad, quake 2 was my favorite fps game from the 90s hands down. well, after half life.  

16. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 14:02 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:31:
Different art styles. You can't compare something stylized to photo realistic.

Yeah you can and people do it all the time, both critically and in a consumer sense. If you can't compare them then you can't arrive at those conclusions. Rage is a good looking game, particularly for the consoles at its default framerate but that's about as worked up as I can get over the visuals.

The gunplay of RAGE is second to NONE. Best gunplay. Ever. The art style, is great. Lots of people love the art style.

Not the best gunplay. Ever

Good gunplay and that's probably its most enjoyable feature though.

In fact I wouldn't agree with most of what you said there but I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before with similar results so *shrug*

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 14:10.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 11:31 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:19:
Rattlehead wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:52:
You must be crazy or blind, because RAGE is one of the best looking games of all time, on console or PC.

Rattlehead

It depends on what you're looking at in that game, the immediate surroundings and periphery often look like dogshit compared to other aspects. It's one of the best looking games for its framerate and an accomplishment that it runs well on console hardware but I certainly wouldn't put it up with Crysis and Far Cry 3 though.
Different art styles. You can't compare something stylized to photo realistic. That would be silly. It's like saying "gee minecraft has bad graphics compared to far cry 3", the intention was to never compete in the same art area. Different gameplay.

The gunplay of RAGE is second to NONE. Best gunplay. Ever. The art style, is great. Lots of people love the art style.

14. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 11:19 Verno

You must be crazy or blind, because RAGE is one of the best looking games of all time, on console or PC.

Rattlehead

It depends on what you're looking at in that game, the immediate surroundings and periphery often look like dogshit compared to other aspects. It's one of the best looking games for its framerate and an accomplishment that it runs well on console hardware but I certainly wouldn't put it up with Crysis and Far Cry 3 though.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

13. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 08:43 InBlack

Desheartening really. I was looking forward to Doom4. Even though Doom3 sucked balls. But now....not so much....  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 Arithon

Rattlehead

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but really? There are a dozen games, half of which are much older than look better!
RAGE is visually comparable to Unreal Engine 3 games. While the game came out in 2011, the engine tech was devised (and apparently stuck) in 2007, the game was bug-ridden on release and barely ran on a high powered gaming rig.

RAGE is a monument to what happens when a game developer concentrates on the console platforms and squeezes out a steaming pile of PC port as an afterthought.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

11. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 03:31 Kajetan

mystery8 wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 03:29:
It seems like if I want to enjoy an id game I'll have to play an old one. Sad since they used to be my favorite.
Carmack isnt a game designer. And since Quake 3, id is devoid of any capable game design talent.

10. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 03:29 mystery8

MajorD wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 21:46:
John Carmack pioneered the way of the FPS via the PC, but it’s really too bad he/id Software became sellouts to the console market. They lost their way in the dust trail left by many other talented developers. Indies have become best thing for PC games now…

Seriously. Rage was the first id game I've ever not been excited for. I finally got it on the Steam sale and didn't finish it

It seems like if I want to enjoy an id game I'll have to play an old one. Sad since they used to be my favorite.

9. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 02:18 Krizzen

I'm really curious of the future of id tech 6. From what I've gathered, there's a possibility it will take serious advantage of multicore processors, something many games struggle with now. Also, the multicore nature of ray tracing and voxels lends itself well to the upcoming headmounted displays, like the Oculus rift. This is because a higher refresh rate can be achieved by dividing the display into blocks -- perfect for parallelization.

In the gaming world, this stuff is probably way off in the future, like 1-5 years. Still, id software becoming a console bitch makes me curious what will happen to the Tech 6 IP. Does Zenimax or Bethesda have any stake or is it strictly Carmack's? That is, could he perchance take the IP to Valve?

8. Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Feb 6, 2013, 01:10 xXBatmanXx

id, the new console sellouts.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 00:44 Stolk

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:17:
Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:00:
Hopefully Carmack will have tons of fun programming shitty-looking games for decrepit hardware.

Bye John!

Creston

Rattlehead

Unless you turn around really fast or look at things really close.

I imagine when id makes a detective game with a player character that makes surprise 180 degree turns, they'll adjust.

6. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 00:29 Scottish Martial Arts

I don't know about "all time" but it's definitely a good looking game. Screenshots don't do it justice: it has to be seen in motion. All in all, I quite enjoyed Rage. Perhaps it was because I went into it with zero expectations and had only spent 5 dollars on it in a Steam sale, but I found it quite enjoyable. It could have used an actual storyline, but otherwise I had no real complaints.

5. Re: TTimo: id Feb 5, 2013, 23:17 The Half Elf

Hopefully Carmack will have tons of fun programming shitty-looking games for decrepit hardware.

Bye John!

Creston

Rattlehead

Unless you turn around really fast or look at things really close.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: TTimo: id Feb 5, 2013, 22:52 Rattlehead

Bye John!

Creston

Rattlehead

3. Re: TTimo: id Feb 5, 2013, 22:02 wtf_man

MajorD wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 21:46:
John Carmack pioneered the way of the FPS via the PC, but it’s really too bad he/id Software became sellouts to the console market. They lost their way in the dust trail left by many other talented developers. Indies have become best thing for PC games now…

The funny thing is that id/apogee/3d realms were basically "indies" back then, with Scott Miller's shareware business model.

So, when you think about it, not much has changed on "who is good for the PC games industry".

2. Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Feb 5, 2013, 22:00 Creston

Bye John!

Creston

1. Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Feb 5, 2013, 21:46 MajorD

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo