Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Video Blog

DayZ Blog now offers a new video developer blog for Bohemia Interactive's upcoming standalone game based on the DayZ zombie modification for Arma II. Word is: "Rocket and Matt provide a quick overview of some new elements of the DayZ Standalone project. Includes the new engine support for clothing, the revised loot spawning mechanics, and some new areas on the map."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 6, 2013, 18:21 Bhruic

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:31:
Lol, still clinging to the delusion that a zombie apocalypse is 100% about fearing zombies? Any kind of apocalypse is more about what that does to other people, and how they behave in reaction to it. People trying to survive are paranoid, opportunistic, and ruthless. This care bear fantasy of everybody in DayZ cooperating with you is just silly. The game is, and always has been, about fearing other players and what they may or may not do. If you can't handle it, find something else to play.

Way to completely miss the point. I didn't say anything about cooperation or fearing zombies. The problem is, right now, there's no challenge to the game at all. The only thing you can do for any sort of challenge is to take on other humans. So instead of being a survival game, it simply becomes deathmatch with zombies. Pointless. Until they come up with a system that gives people a challenge that isn't killing other people, that's all the game is going to be. And considering how poor the engine is at handling player combat, if I want to deathmatch, there are much better alternatives.

So far they've given no indication they'll be able to come up with something. So until they do, no amounts of videos about the ability to customize your clothes are going to make me interested in playing again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 6, 2013, 09:00 InBlack

I once played a really good Wheel of Time MUD which solved this problem rather nicely.

Once you were murdered by a person, you could go and place a bounty on their head. Obviously that would require some kind of tradable comodity that doesnt dissapear when you die. Hmmmm

What about this? Safe Zones. Small towns or outposts, populated by armed deputies (NPCs) which ocassionaly patrol the wasteland. You can still get killed, but the NPCs place bounties on the really dangerous bandits. They are also instantly attacked by those NPCs.

Sort of like EvE does it.

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 19:42 Quinn

I really want to get my hands on Day Z. In fact I was [this] close to buy the Arma II pack when I read there will be a standalone version of the game soon(?).

I hear people complain about asshole bandit players though and I understand that. First thing that pops in my mind, without even having played Day Z, is that there should be some cons for being a bandit.

For example: People who witness a "murder" (ie from a distance) get the ability to warn other people about the bandit through warnings on billboards and [fill in clever idea here]. This adds a new level of excitement for the murderers but also for decreases the amount of bandits because you don't want to become hunted. How will the game recognize you didn't witness a murder but someone protecting himself from the murderer? Now that's a clever question.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

12. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 17:22 Quboid

I feel there must be a way to have the consequences occur somewhat naturally. That's DayZ's biggest game play design challenge.

Giving human-killers a mask seems too artificial but how else to do it? It would be more natural if having 2 sets of eyes (and trigger fingers) outweighed the benefit of killing someone so that's a more organic way to handle it but it's a hell of a balancing act, and probably one that varies depending on how many players there are.

One thing that could help is for some loot to be destroyed when a player dies. Not all of it, but if you fire a pistol at someone holding a rifle and one of your bullet happens to hit that rifle, it's reasonable for that rifle to be at best damaged when you pick it from their corpse. Again, this is a tough balancing act because other humans should be dangerous and you should be worried about them stabbing you in the back, metaphorically or literally.

- Quboid

11. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 17:01 DangerDog

The underlying tech isn't up to the task of having a never ending persistent world. An end game scenario helps alleviate this problem with a much needed reset after hours of gameplay.

This is still using the Arma 2 engine, too clunky for most gamers, lack of decent physics.

10. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 15:56 jacobvandy

They're going to be adding major construction eventually, such as instanced underground bases and (I imagine) more permanent surface strongholds/encampments. I've seen people do some crazy stuff with barbed wire and tank traps, but those are dismantled relatively easily. In any case, there will not be any "Yay, this player won the game, time to start over" nonsense because it would ruin the persistent sandbox nature of DayZ.

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:10:
For a start, how do you recreate the moral qualms of killing a fellow human being in a computer game without real consequences?

You can't... You said it yourself, it's just a game. The only way for there to be consequences is to program artificial ones in there. People have been crying for that sort of thing for months. Thankfully, though Rocket never harms other players himself (at his own peril), he understands that some people want to play that way, and don't deserve such artificial punishment. That said, they probably will keep trying things to encourage cooperation, or at least discourage wanton violence. The humanity meter that gives you a bandit mask after you kill a couple people or a unique skin for helping a lot of them (though most just spam blood bags on their buddies to farm positive humanity...) was the first attempt at this.

Everything we're talking about here is pretty far in the future anyway. When the standalone releases, it will be an early alpha release. They're going to nail down all the mechanics and other core elements before moving on to adding any serious new content.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 16:03.

9. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 15:31 DangerDog

The main problem for with DayZ is there's no end game goal, the survival bit should just be the meta game but there needs to be a larger goal to end the scenario. Release a virus that kills all the zombies in the world, it shouldn't be easy but it needs something.  

8. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 15:10 Quboid

Lol, still clinging to the delusion that a zombie apocalypse is 100% about fearing zombies? Any kind of apocalypse is more about what that does to other people, and how they behave in reaction to it. People trying to survive are paranoid, opportunistic, and ruthless. This care bear fantasy of everybody in DayZ cooperating with you is just silly. The game is, and always has been, about fearing other players and what they may or may not do. If you can't handle it, find something else to play.

The only fantasy is that you think anyone wants this.

Of course other people should be dangerous, but if the game mechanics don't get an incredibly hard balance between fearing other people and needing them then the game will cease to be fun. That should be the most intriguing aspect of a multiplayer survival game but actually achieving it may be impossible. For a start, how do you recreate the moral qualms of killing a fellow human being in a computer game without real consequences?

- Quboid

7. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 14:43 netnerd85

The gameplay is great how it is, you just need a partner or friend to team up with. No problem with the vs Human stuff. You have good guys, and bad guys.

It's not like before Rick!

6. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 14:39 Orphic Resonance

yeh so Nahnah !!!

haha your rationalizations for this shit are fucking wacky

5. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 14:31 jacobvandy

4. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 14:10 Bhruic

I like what they are doing with the game customization, but until they give some indication of what they are going to do for the actual gameplay, I don't have a lot of interest. There's no "survival" challenge in the game when it comes to zombies. Therefore there's no survival problem for food/drink/ammo etc. It doesn't matter where you hide it, I'm not going to spend extra time in a house looking behind a chair when A) I can easily get all the food I need already, and B) it's easier to kill someone else and get it and/or it's going to be taken from me by someone who kills me. Figure out the vs humans angle first, the rest of the game can come later.  

3. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 12:37 Fibrocyte

They need to release this soon before people lose interest or someone else busts in with a better product.  

2. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 12:12 The Half Elf

That was the one thing I really liked about the Dead Rising series. You didn't have super crazy olympic athletic zombies, just tons of them.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: DayZ Video Blog Feb 5, 2013, 11:59 Panickd

I am going to be super interested in this game once it moves beyond: belly crawl through a city for two hours to collect all the equipment you need to survive, leave the city, promptly get shot by asshole you never see because he's got a sniper rifle (variations include getting promptly shot by: asshole in helicopter and asshole with his asshole bandit friends), respawn and repeat.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo