Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As odd as it is to have two major national holidays so close together, today is IHOP National Pancake Day, just two days after Super Bowl Sunday. I'm a big fan of pancakes: cooking breakfast was the gateway to whatever other cooking I do to this day, so I will have to celebrate the occasion by turning out a stack or two, though a free serving of pancakes is tempting (especially since it supports charity), but with the nearest IHOP a half-hour away, it will be a lot quicker to make them.

Syrupy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stop GMO 2.
Science: Economic forecasts no better than a random walk. Thanks Slashdot.
Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's. Thanks brother19.
Media: There is no one on the internet who hates cats more than this guy. Thanks nin.
One Man Army Dominates Airsoft Battle.
Fail Compilation January 2013.
Follow-up: Behind the scenes in the NFL control room during Super Bowl blackout.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 09:39 Verno

Yeah crunchy PB is disgusting.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 15:29 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:10:
PHJF wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 19:27:
What's the deal with Nutella? Is that some kind of fucked up peanut butter or something? Is it the Ovaltine of nut-oriented spreads? I don't know what it is and so I fear it.

I don't understand why the US is so crazy about peanut butter (though admittedly the US version is a lot tastier than most European peanut butters, which have a shitload less sugar in them) when there is such a thing as Nutella. Nutella >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> peanut butter.

Creston

Jif Creamy is by far the best on the market unless you go to an organic store and get the real deal. I hate crunchy stuff.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 04:07 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 01:13:
I'm just going to leave this here:

Two words. Nutella. Smores.

You are welcome.

GAH! Curse you Jivaro! Now I have to go out and get the stuff to make these.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 01:13 Jivaro

I'm just going to leave this here:

Two words. Nutella. Smores.

You are welcome.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 00:10 Creston

What's the deal with Nutella? Is that some kind of fucked up peanut butter or something? Is it the Ovaltine of nut-oriented spreads? I don't know what it is and so I fear it.

I don't understand why the US is so crazy about peanut butter (though admittedly the US version is a lot tastier than most European peanut butters, which have a shitload less sugar in them) when there is such a thing as Nutella. Nutella >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> peanut butter.

Creston

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 22:59 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 20:43:
Ummmm I consider peanut butter super tasty as is. You're gonna have to sell harder than that.

Just get some and make a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. You won't regret it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 20:43 PHJF

Ummmm I consider peanut butter super tasty as is. You're gonna have to sell harder than that.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 19:53 Cutter

No way! Nutella is hella tasty! They try to imply it's healthy, but it's not. It is tasty though. Ever had a hazelnut chocolate bar? That's Nutella in spreadable form.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 19:27 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 18:53 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 17:47:
Actually saw a comic about this style of bitching the other day. A guy was complaining that texting was ruining literacy. Next panel was like 1950 and someone complaining that tv was ruining literacy. Next panel was 1920 and someone complaining about radio. Then someone complaining about the printing press.
Yeah, that's my line of thinking every time I hear somebody say "society" is doomed, or whatever. People having been saying the next generation was the end of everything for centuries, if not since the creation of speech.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 18:01 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 17:08:
Close and restart Steam Creston.

Yeah, figured that out after awhile. Thanks though.

Creston

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 17:47 Beamer

Actually saw a comic about this style of bitching the other day. A guy was complaining that texting was ruining literacy. Next panel was like 1950 and someone complaining that tv was ruining literacy. Next panel was 1920 and someone complaining about radio. Then someone complaining about the printing press.

I do not agree with the point it thinks it was making. But I also think moving from T9 to QWERTY has mostly ended the stupid text style typing. The only people I know that say "u" or "ur" are my parents...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 17:44 1badmf

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 17:19:
sauron wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 16:23:
AWL YOU"RE UR FAWLT!

Fixed!

Lol that's right. I suppose because I don't text I don't know all the shortcuts to illiteracy. Seriously though, the lack of even utilizing rudimentary grammar - capitalization and basic punctuation - really gets on my tits. How fucking difficult is it to hit a shift key, or comma, or period now and then? And then you think about all those tax dollars wasted on the little bastards. Makes me want to beat them to death with a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

ya lost me at 'tits' bro.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 17:19 Cutter

sauron wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 16:23:
AWL YOU"RE UR FAWLT!

Fixed!

Lol that's right. I suppose because I don't text I don't know all the shortcuts to illiteracy. Seriously though, the lack of even utilizing rudimentary grammar - capitalization and basic punctuation - really gets on my tits. How fucking difficult is it to hit a shift key, or comma, or period now and then? And then you think about all those tax dollars wasted on the little bastards. Makes me want to beat them to death with a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 17:08 The Half Elf

Close and restart Steam Creston.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 16:23 sauron

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:07:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 10:45:
Pancakes = flapjacks.

While we're at it, football != soccer, and there's no u in "color."

In the English language there is a U. Only Americans are lazy enough more efficient to want to drop a letter because it's too much work to insert it.
Fixed. How many hours of your life have been wasted writing that extra 'u'? Face it, Americans just do things better.

I might have given you that one had you guys not invented texting and Twitter which are completely destroying the English language. Most kids are barely functionally literate because of that crap today.

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline

Literacy experts and educators say they are stunned by the results of a recent adult literacy assessment, which shows that the reading proficiency of college graduates has declined in the past decade, with no obvious explanation.

"It's appalling -- it's really astounding," said Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association and a librarian at California State University at Fresno. "Only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it. That's not saying much for the remainder."

AWL YOU"RE UR FAWLT!

Fixed!

Kittens!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 15:50 Prez

Cats are awesome. I adore them and couldn't imagine living in a household without at least 2 of them (I have 3 now, but that could change if any more wounded strays show up...) Cats tend to be less liked than dogs because they are less "people-centric" and generally do their own thing, but as a person who has had cats for 30 years I can tell you that they are wonderful creatures that can be delightful and affectionate companions. They are just very different from dogs. Dogs are my true love but I would pour gas over myself and light a match before I ever turned away a Kitty in need. Mostly that's true about any animal really.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 15:27 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:07:
AWL YOU"RE FAWLT!

Your.

Off topic, has anyone been able to download the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim yet? It just sits there at "preparing to install" and never goes anywhere...

Edit: NM, rebooting the Steam client seems to have worked.
Edit2: Still no Dragonborn DLC... wtf?
Edit3: Finally!

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 16:11.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 15:07 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 10:45:
Pancakes = flapjacks.

While we're at it, football != soccer, and there's no u in "color."

In the English language there is a U. Only Americans are lazy enough more efficient to want to drop a letter because it's too much work to insert it.
Fixed. How many hours of your life have been wasted writing that extra 'u'? Face it, Americans just do things better.

I might have given you that one had you guys not invented texting and Twitter which are completely destroying the English language. Most kids are barely functionally literate because of that crap today.

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline

Literacy experts and educators say they are stunned by the results of a recent adult literacy assessment, which shows that the reading proficiency of college graduates has declined in the past decade, with no obvious explanation.

"It's appalling -- it's really astounding," said Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association and a librarian at California State University at Fresno. "Only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it. That's not saying much for the remainder."

AWL YOU"RE FAWLT!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 14:54 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 12:00:
French Toast > Waffles > Flapjacks >Pancakes.

Fixed that for ya!
You and me, brother. I could eat an entire loaf of bread made into French Toast.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo