Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New 3DMark

A new version of the 3DMark benchmark program is now available for Windows, and coming soon to other platforms, as this is designed to allow cross-platform testing, in case you want to compare the performance of your PC to your smartphone. The new version is also available on Steam for 25% off (remind me to tell you whippersnappers about the old days when benchmarks were free), and there is a free version available to demo the program. There are also write-ups about the new version on Legit Reviews, MajorGeeks, PC Perspective, and TweakTown.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 18:42 Dev

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:32:
Dev wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 22:55:
Yes, I'm sure they didn't make any compromises at all to get it to run on smartphones. Just like MS didn't make any compromises in dumbing down win 8 to be the same on all platforms.
Oh wait...

You know better than this, Dev. It's as easy as clicking the link. You definitely know better than this. What you're doing is essentially what all those crappy game blogs do with the "OMG OVEREXAGGERATION FOR PAGE CLICKS?" headlines.

Right in Steam:
Fire Strike - For high performance gaming PCs

Use Fire Strike to test the performance of dedicated gaming PCs, or use the Fire Strike Extreme preset for high-end systems with multiple GPUs. Fire Strike uses a multi-threaded DirectX 11 engine to test DirectX hardware.

Cloud Gate - For notebooks and home PCs

Use Cloud Gate to test the performance of notebooks and typical home PCs. Cloud Gate uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 10, making it suitable for testing DirectX 10 compatible hardware.

Ice Storm - For tablets and entry-level PCs

Use Ice Storm to test the performance of your Windows tablet, ultra-portable notebook or entry-level PC. Ice Storm uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 9, making it the ideal benchmark for modern portable devices targeting that feature level. You can compare Ice Storm scores from Windows, Windows RT, Android and iOS devices at futuremark.com.
Yes I saw that before I posted. But while it has different demos for each mode, it looks to me like it still uses the same engine on all 3 of them, so I'm not totally convinced.

However, after further thought there's at least one category in which it will be quite useful. Developers to be able to compare smartphones to desktops and help them with figuring out porting to/from PC, as well as figuring out how to balance the power of the largest ios/android demographics with graphical levels, so there's that at least.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 18:24 Dev

Arithon wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 07:01:
I see little value in recent benchmarks, since most are now "on this weeks cards / hardware"

I want to see how much bang-for-buck I get for my money compared to the 2010 video card I have in my PC right now.

There are some sites that give you "HD5870 vs GTX660Ti" for example, but they are the exception.

The problem with new benchmark software is it removes the ability to compare with previous hardware. i.e. 3Dmark06 (from 2010) gives my card "23611" but 3Dmark11 (from last year) gives the 660 Ti "9027". That's no help to anyone. Both cards will run in my PC, so I want a meaningful comparison.

If 3DMark have a database of comparable test results for hardware going back some time that they share with purchasers of the software, then I'd be interested to know more, otherwise not.

3dmark does have a database of results, but its a different for each 3dmark they release. You'd have to run the older dx9 benchmark versions (I dont recall the latest 3dmark which went only to dx9) to be able to compare to the widest range of hardware/os. You could also compare those numbers to futuremarks online database.
http://www.3dmark.com/search
You can specify what version of 3dmark in the advanced search.

I find the most useful thing for getting a rough estimate of old or strange (like mobile) graphics cards and new ones is tom's hierarchy charts for video cards (it has tiers going back to the nvidia TNT). It also helps makes sense of ATI's horrible model naming schemes (and sometimes nvidia does similar confusing things), and see where they fall. And you can see how far down intel integrated is (although the 4000 is at least not terrible).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

So (in a made up example pulling numbers out of thin air) if say I have a tier 7 card, and a tier 1 graphics card costs $700, and a tier 2 graphics card costs $500, tier 3 costs $400, tier 4 costs $350, tier 5 costs $300, tier 6 costs $250, then the minimum to upgrade that tier 7 card would be $250, and to upgrade it significantly I'd have to spend $350 or more.

Also I find it useful when someone asks me what graphics card to get. I ask them to tell me what they want to spend, and show them that chart and say something like: "for $200 you can get a tier X card, and it will cost $300 or more to move up significantly. In the $200 range these are the nvidia and ATI cards that have the same tier of performance, so I suggest looking for a sale on these"

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 18:35.

7. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 09:41 Quboid

Arithon wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 07:01:
I see little value in recent benchmarks, since most are now "on this weeks cards / hardware"

I want to see how much bang-for-buck I get for my money compared to the 2010 video card I have in my PC right now.

There are some sites that give you "HD5870 vs GTX660Ti" for example, but they are the exception.

The problem with new benchmark software is it removes the ability to compare with previous hardware. i.e. 3Dmark06 (from 2010) gives my card "23611" but 3Dmark11 (from last year) gives the 660 Ti "9027". That's no help to anyone. Both cards will run in my PC, so I want a meaningful comparison.

If 3DMark have a database of comparable test results for hardware going back some time that they share with purchasers of the software, then I'd be interested to know more, otherwise not.

QFT!

I have a Geforce 460 and I'll probably upgrade for the Autumn games rush, but no site will have performance comparisons that really mean a damn thing to me and I don't trust comparing a benchmark today with one from a couple of years ago even in the extremely unlikely event that the same hardware is used.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 11:48.

- Quboid

6. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 08:32 Beamer

Dev wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 22:55:
Yes, I'm sure they didn't make any compromises at all to get it to run on smartphones. Just like MS didn't make any compromises in dumbing down win 8 to be the same on all platforms.
Oh wait...

You know better than this, Dev. It's as easy as clicking the link. You definitely know better than this. What you're doing is essentially what all those crappy game blogs do with the "OMG OVEREXAGGERATION FOR PAGE CLICKS?" headlines.

Right in Steam:
Fire Strike - For high performance gaming PCs

Use Fire Strike to test the performance of dedicated gaming PCs, or use the Fire Strike Extreme preset for high-end systems with multiple GPUs. Fire Strike uses a multi-threaded DirectX 11 engine to test DirectX hardware.

Cloud Gate - For notebooks and home PCs

Use Cloud Gate to test the performance of notebooks and typical home PCs. Cloud Gate uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 10, making it suitable for testing DirectX 10 compatible hardware.

Ice Storm - For tablets and entry-level PCs

Use Ice Storm to test the performance of your Windows tablet, ultra-portable notebook or entry-level PC. Ice Storm uses a DirectX 11 engine limited to Direct3D feature level 9, making it the ideal benchmark for modern portable devices targeting that feature level. You can compare Ice Storm scores from Windows, Windows RT, Android and iOS devices at futuremark.com.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 07:01 Arithon

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

4. Re: New 3DMark Feb 5, 2013, 06:24 Quinn

I have one of the newest rigs out there but fuck me my PC was buckling at the DX11 stuff.

Hope my rig isn't under-performing..

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

3. Re: New 3DMark Feb 4, 2013, 23:52 jacobvandy

So, my understanding is that only one test was built to stress PCs? Do they even have a CPU test anymore?  

2. Re: New 3DMark Feb 4, 2013, 22:55 Dev

BTW, the free version won't bench past 720p.

Last few versions of 3dmark weren't that impressive to me. They used to be "ZOMG I want a game like that." Now they are more "meh, my games are better than that, and on my years old graphics card"

Edit: When it first comes up it says:

3DMark is a performance benchmark for all your hardware from smartphones and tablets, to notebooks and desktop PCs.

Oh wait...

Edit 2: They want $1000 for the business version!?!? Also, the free version won't even let you set the higher detail versions of the gaming mode.

1. Re: New 3DMark Feb 4, 2013, 21:42 jdreyer

Here's the Steam product page. $18.74

I dunno, 3DMark releases used to be something I looked forward to, sort of a "where PC gaming will be in a few years" kind of thing, in addition to the awesome spectacle they used to show, almost like movie shorts. But I haven't really check them out in several years.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo