Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2013, 09:04 nin

nvmd.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2013, 08:42 Jonjonz

Oh please, look at those supposedly poor kids, every one has a cell phone, you can't tell me they can't afford another $15 bucks a month to add internet to their plan.  

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 18:07 Frijoles

Panickd wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:20:
Plus they have somehow convinced their idiot fanboys that digital purchases should be tied the the console they were purchased on thereby making them buy the same games over and over again.

You can transfer the virtual games to Wii U. Were you talking about something else? Did Wii sell any other type of digital game (serious question, I only bought some virtual games).

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 4, 2013, 17:16 HorrorScope

No wonder I don't tweet, they call that stuff funny.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 16:19 jdreyer

That McD's article is a solid point in favor of municipal wifi. Public and private education are now completely enmeshed with the internet and computers. My daughter would actually be unable to do her homework had I not these things at home. They also factor into a vast number of jobs. I'm glad these people found this workaround, but they should have more options than just a few restaurants and the public library.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 14:52 Verno

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:13:
Hardcore gamers drive the market, casual users are fickle and often just along for the ride. The Wii is probably the greatest example of that.

Remember when the Wii came out and everyone was wondering why Nintendo was selling it at a profit while Sony and Microsoft were selling their consoles at a loss? At the end of the day the Wii sold more consoles than either of the others and Nintendo made money on every one and made money on whatever games were sold for those consoles. Call it what you want but that seems like a net win for Nintendo. Plus they have somehow convinced their idiot fanboys that digital purchases should be tied the the console they were purchased on thereby making them buy the same games over and over again. And dumb as it may sound, it does happen.

It worked for Nintendo as a temporary business strategy but failed to create a very sustainable third party market. Sure it made a lot of money but that was mostly Nintendo, not the greater market. Plus it actually lost a bunch of money since then and didn't really do much to cement their position as a market leader, they are still very much in the trenches with Sony and Microsoft. If the latter ever get their heads out of their asses with kids franchises Nintendo will be in deep shit.

Anyways my point that the "hardcore" are what sustains the market in a long term. As in people who buy the console for more than a single title or two, talk it up to others, play MP regularly and so on.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 14:30 Orogogus

Without knowing the number of games sold on each console, that graph implies Nintendo made out like gangbusters. The area under the curve is much larger, they were known to have sold at a profit throughout the life cycle, and the cycle is going to end shortly past the end of that graph.

Also, in the context of the article -- i.e., social games, exclusively -- I don't think "hardcore" means what people are supposing. He probably means people who pay heavily to win.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 13:53 jdreyer

Hardcore gamers drive the market, casual users are fickle and often just along for the ride. The Wii is probably the greatest example of that.

Remember when the Wii came out and everyone was wondering why Nintendo was selling it at a profit while Sony and Microsoft were selling their consoles at a loss? At the end of the day the Wii sold more consoles than either of the others and Nintendo made money on every one and made money on whatever games were sold for those consoles. Call it what you want but that seems like a net win for Nintendo. Plus they have somehow convinced their idiot fanboys that digital purchases should be tied the the console they were purchased on thereby making them buy the same games over and over again. And dumb as it may sound, it does happen.
Yeah, but Nintendo failed to capitalize on it, and has seen their sales plunge. MS and Sony have seen much more consistent growth.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 13:17 Axis

The Wii sells because it's the best 'casual' console for all ages.

Not to mention it offers hardcore PC gamers like myself a break from all the epeen teens in the xbox community.

And I don't know anyone who bought the same console game twice BUT I do know a bunch of idiots who buy the same game on different platforms...

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 Panickd

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 11:13 Verno

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 4, 2013, 10:27 eRe4s3r

Next thing they are gonna tell us that water is wet and fire hot. I am bestumpled at this discovery of common sense ;p I will still not use Facebook, ever, though.  

1. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 4, 2013, 10:24 HorrorScope

"Plarium CMO Gabi Shalel said Stormfall currently had 4.5 million players, and that hardcore gamers had proved far more lucrative than the casual market.

"Hardcore gamers pay more, play more and generate higher average revenue per user than traditional casual games," he said."

Genius.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo