Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion

Kotaku has a running summary of an discussion taking place over twitter over whether the Tiny Tina character in Borderlands 2 is racist, based on the white character's use of clichéd African-American slang. Some have expressed the opinion that this is "verbal blackface," and after originally resisting, lead writer Anthony Burch moved on to try to expand the discussion to see if he needed to re-work the character's dialog in future releases. Randy Pitchford's take on this is that it's not racist as long as it was not written by a racist: "@reverendanthony tina is not racist because you are not racist. You're a pillar of tolerance and inclusion." Thanks nin.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

60. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 22:51 The Half Elf

Ya know Tina is voiced by Ash from 'Hey Ash Whatcha Playin?' right?

Seriously the game has fucking midgets (which it calls midgets) all bondaged up on riot shields, acts of murder against a grandmother and the only fucking thing someone can come up with is RACIST?

Even Fox news does a better job of covering crap like this.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 21:35 Nadool

lead writer Anthony Burch moved on to try to expand the discussion to see if he needed to re-work the character's dialog in future releases

Oh I do ever so hope they make her talk like "black comic doing the white guy voice" in future releases.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 21:31 Rigs

Typically I don't waste my time to argue about all this bullshit...and that's all it is. But when reading the story (yes, my Blue brothers, I gave Kotaku a page hit, please forgive my transgressions!), this comment...

Malcolm Christiansen @DrShenanigans
@mikesacco @reverendanthony Hey big fan of BL2's writing here also, loved Handsome Jack, TT was a profound misstep & made me uncomfy thanks

...made me just want, very much, at this very moment, to punch this little girlie-mon right in the face! Slap 'Uncomfy'? UNCOMFY?!? Uncomfy is a really bad rash on your crotch, not a character's voice-over in a video game! I can see this pansy-ass strapping himself to a tree to protest a construction site! Where the fuck is my chiansaw?!? Bat

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

57. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 20:44 deqer

Whiggers are racists now? Okay. Please explain the logic behind that. I know you can't, so, don't bother. I didn't read this thread either.  

56. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 20:35 Beamer

Found her supremely annoying, but not really buying into the racism or sexism argument.

However, these discussion always bring out the racists and sexist on this board that somehow think they're neither.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 20:19 Cutter

Maude Lebowski: Does the female form make you uncomfortable, Mr. Lebowski?

The Dude: Uh, is that what this is a picture of?

Maude Lebowski: In a sense, yes. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

The Dude: Oh yeah?

Maude Lebowski: Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.

The Dude: Johnson?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

54. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 20:17 Spektr

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 16:15:
Spektr wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 15:23:

Psychologists actually have started calling ugly people those with severe appearance deficits. It’s getting so bad that any day now I expect to hear a rape victim referred to as an unwilling sperm recipient."

Lol and people with impaired understanding are actually morons? :p

53. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:59 PropheT

Kotaku's fishing for page hits again, I see.  

52. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:52 eRe4s3r

I thought he was just bringing sexism into a racism thread ; )

Yeah.. or that Hehe

But Tiny Tina (as character) is definitely not sexist ^^ So at least there's that minefield sidestepped....

51. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:45 Alamar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 19:37:
fightinfilipino wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:50:

as for your "vaginas" comment, erm, what?

Seriously, that comments (hard phrased, but non-theless valid point) should be obvious to anyone alive in the western world today..... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sissification

He was making a play on the more extreme feminism which employs much the same "Oh my god, this is so offensive" nonsense as this racism "issue" raised here. Ie, they deliberately are offended about something majority does and find non-offensive to push their radical minority agenda under the guise of "political correctness" if you ask me, one of the greatest most abused misused bullshit phrases of this century....

Point is, he was making a witty statement ^^

And yes, there are cases of racism and sexism that need curbing. But not by being offended about things that are clearly neither.

I thought he was just bringing sexism into a racism thread ; )

-Alamar

50. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:37 eRe4s3r

fightinfilipino wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:50:

as for your "vaginas" comment, erm, what?

Seriously, that comments (hard phrased, but non-theless valid point) should be obvious to anyone alive in the western world today..... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sissification

He was making a play on the more extreme feminism which employs much the same "Oh my god, this is so offensive" nonsense as this racism "issue" raised here. Ie, they deliberately are offended about something majority does and find non-offensive to push their radical minority agenda under the guise of "political correctness" if you ask me, one of the greatest most abused misused bullshit phrases of this century....

Point is, he was making a witty statement ^^

And yes, there are cases of racism and sexism that need curbing. But not by being offended about things that are clearly neither.

49. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 18:57 Chairman Kaga

Few things annoy me more than self-righteous douchecanoes that feel the need to speak up and defend people that are more than capable of doing so for themselves, as if they're trying to assuage some endless deep-seated guilt.

It's why America has become a wasteland of talking heads, trial lawyers, and overreaching government.

48. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 18:22 Agent.X7

It takes way to much time and effort to be offended. If people put that time and energy towards something positive, rather than screaming from the rooftops about how unfair life is, maybe we'd advance as a race.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

47. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 18:18 Victor Grunn

Tiny Tina came across (to me, anyway) as a really annoying character who only became enjoyable once Moxxi started making fun of her in the DLC. Biggest irritation in the game aside from the 'raid bosses'.

But racist? C'mon. By what inane metric?

Oh, and this does illustrate some of the problems with "political correctness". Instead of trying to avoid asshole behavior that would offend the reasonable and civil, we now have people walking on eggshells in a desperate attempt to avoid offending the eternally and sometimes professionally aggrieved. And the problem isn't just the PC crowd - it's also guys like Burch and Pitchford caving in response to this insanity instead of making a stand for common sense. Thanks guys - by attempting to pacify the mob by capitulating, you've emboldened them to do this again and again.

Hey, I have an idea. Now that BL2 is in the controversy spotlight, let's see some write-ups about how the game glorifies gun violence. I bet if we whip up enough of a twitter frenzy we can ensure that Borderlands 3 will be nothing but nerf darts and hand to hand combat.

Gaming Trend Staff Writer: http://www.gamingtrend.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorGrunn
Amateur game dev: http://victorgrunn.newgrounds.com
Gtalk contact: Victorgrunn

46. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 17:05 Prez

This nonsense has gotten well beyond absurd. Anyone who searches for stuff like this to be offended by and cry about needs to die for the betterment of society at large.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

45. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:48 Shataan

I agree with Cutter as well. What started out as seemingly well meaning/intentioned.... is now turning everyone into total 0 tolerance spineless weenies.

We got where we are as a society for knowing WHEN to turn the other cheek/consider the source. Poly correctness will soon having peeps drop their gloves if they even feel slightly insulted.

Heck, we already have enough religious freaks in the world ready to kill for just about any insult, imagined or real. The sad part is, peeps actually think Political correctness will make for a better world. I shudder to think what the world will be like for my kids some day.

44. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:30 Longjocks

Hmm... so the people calling Tina's characterisation racist think that all black people, or exclusively black people, speak like that? Sounds a bit racist to me.  

43. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:28 DangerDog

Dumb conversation, what should have been asked is why is the voice acting for Aliens:CM is complete crap when they did a decent enough job with Borderlands?  

42. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:25 Fibrocyte

This is the epitome of asinine. Tiny Tina was one of the best characters and "racism" never crossed my mind once during this game.  

41. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:19 Quboid

Haha! Cutter, if I see you I may kick you in the nuts, you patronizing git!

(I know, completely out of context. I kid.)

- Quboid

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo