Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion

Kotaku has a running summary of an discussion taking place over twitter over whether the Tiny Tina character in Borderlands 2 is racist, based on the white character's use of clichéd African-American slang. Some have expressed the opinion that this is "verbal blackface," and after originally resisting, lead writer Anthony Burch moved on to try to expand the discussion to see if he needed to re-work the character's dialog in future releases. Randy Pitchford's take on this is that it's not racist as long as it was not written by a racist: "@reverendanthony tina is not racist because you are not racist. You're a pillar of tolerance and inclusion." Thanks nin.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

100. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 14:24 Quboid

Quit saying /thread, you arrogant dick. Just because you've had your say doesn't mean the thread is done, especially when you go out of your way to point out that you haven't even read the thread.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 14:08 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 13:40:
deqer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 13:35:
Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 13:08:
deqer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 12:13:
Being a Whigger is not being a racist.

Given that the Whig party was mostly pro-slavery, I'd say yes, being a Whigger would almost definitely make you racist.

Assuming you meant "wigger," consider what it's a portmanteau of before claiming it not totally offensive. Plenty of people that use it wouldn't use its root word, which is strange.

What? no.

Whigger is another way of spelling Wigger, or vice versa.
They both have the same meaning.
Being a Wigger does not make you a racist. Wigger is not making fun of the culture; they are embracing it as their own.

---

Sigh.

This just proves we have a fresh new generation of stupid young kids playing games these days, and now they have the internet are their disposal to making ridiculous childish claims about racism, trying to appear smart like they know what racism is and they've spotted a racist and start yapping, blah blah...

/thread

It's actually not another way of spelling it, and no one is saying being one makes you racist, but using that term may. Because, you know, it's short for a word that absolutely makes you racist. So why would a short form of a racist phrase not be racist?

And yes, you posting does prove that we have stupid people into video games, and that they make stupid claims online, and that, well, they're stupid.

Also, that' you're stupid. I mean, c'mon, how many times can you say "/thread" in one thread without being stupid? Go for 3!

Just out of curiosity what term would that be that's racist? Why is it only racist if a white person uses said term when black people use it towards each other all the time?

98. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:58 avianflu

as a new yorker I can tell you kids of any skin tone can talk like that. Just ride the subways. Truly a non-topic.  

97. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:41 nin

This just proves we have a fresh new generation of stupid young kids playing games these days

Don't be so hard on yourself...leave that to us!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

96. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:40 Beamer

deqer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 13:35:

Given that the Whig party was mostly pro-slavery, I'd say yes, being a Whigger would almost definitely make you racist.

Assuming you meant "wigger," consider what it's a portmanteau of before claiming it not totally offensive. Plenty of people that use it wouldn't use its root word, which is strange.

What? no.

Being a Wigger does not make you a racist. Wigger is not making fun of the culture; they are embracing it as their own.

---

Sigh.

This just proves we have a fresh new generation of stupid young kids playing games these days, and now they have the internet are their disposal to making ridiculous childish claims about racism, trying to appear smart like they know what racism is and they've spotted a racist and start yapping, blah blah...

/thread

It's actually not another way of spelling it, and no one is saying being one makes you racist, but using that term may. Because, you know, it's short for a word that absolutely makes you racist. So why would a short form of a racist phrase not be racist?

And yes, you posting does prove that we have stupid people into video games, and that they make stupid claims online, and that, well, they're stupid.

Also, that' you're stupid. I mean, c'mon, how many times can you say "/thread" in one thread without being stupid? Go for 3!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

95. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:35 deqer

What? no.

---

Sigh.

/thread

94. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:13 netnerd85

Racist? Rubbish, Racist, HATE! Feel the beat  

93. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 13:08 Beamer

-------------

92. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 12:13 deqer

Learn the world; stop being a virgin to life before you claim something that isn't something.

/thread

91. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 12:02 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:59:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:51:
Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:38:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:29:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:20:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:15:
Way to take a comment out of context. I think it's pretty common knowledge the whole PC movement is more a product of the left. That's just the truth of it.

I agree, the PC movement tends to have a liberal bias.

Now explain wtf that has to do with changing:
People will be offended at anything and everything.
to
Liberals will be offended at anything and everything.

Unless you believe the only thing that people get offended at is political correctness (which would make you an idiot), your statement is, well, idiotic. You didn't "fix" anything, you attempted to suggest that people who aren't liberals don't get offended by things. Which anyone with a functioning brain cell is well aware is completely incorrect.

So if you are trying to honestly suggest you aren't trolling, we aren't left with many other explanations for why you would "fix" the sentence so stupidly.

I believe its far more common for liberals to get upset or see things that aren't there. Like in the coke commercial during the superbowl that is somehow racist. It wasn't deliberate trolling just to troll.

I believe you believe anything that may make liberals seem dumb.

You're right liberals care more about not being assholes.

But c'mon, Fox News basically coined the "War Against" terminology. What kind of glue are you sniffing to think conservatives aren't upset at things that aren't there? The War Against Christmas? The War Against Marriage? All things that aren't there, but O'Reilly spends half his time discussing them.

O'Reilly is basically the king of being offended by things that aren't there.

O'Reilly's a douche, just like Matthews, or Maddows etc.
I never said it doesn't happen from those on the right, you just hear it more often from the MSN end of the spectrum with all the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons the left has.

Hmm, now what do those two have in common?
I know, they're baptists! You hate religion. RollinThundr's war against religion!

Yeah it's just a war against religion. Beatnik

90. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 12:00 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:59:
I believe its far more common for liberals to get upset or see things that aren't there. Like in the coke commercial during the superbowl that is somehow racist. It wasn't deliberate trolling just to troll.

This is a problem of society as a whole, not a left vs right thing. I am frequently annoyed at both sides for it, neither one is really "worse" than the other anymore, maybe 20 years ago but certainly not these days.

Indeed.
Because it's easy to get attention and make a name for yourself when you're offended. O'Reilly makes millions doing it. So do his other Fox News commentators. Al Sharpton made a brand on it.

-------------

89. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:59 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:51:
Way to take a comment out of context. I think it's pretty common knowledge the whole PC movement is more a product of the left. That's just the truth of it.

to

Unless you believe the only thing that people get offended at is political correctness (which would make you an idiot), your statement is, well, idiotic. You didn't "fix" anything, you attempted to suggest that people who aren't liberals don't get offended by things. Which anyone with a functioning brain cell is well aware is completely incorrect.

So if you are trying to honestly suggest you aren't trolling, we aren't left with many other explanations for why you would "fix" the sentence so stupidly.

But c'mon, Fox News basically coined the "War Against" terminology. What kind of glue are you sniffing to think conservatives aren't upset at things that aren't there? The War Against Christmas? The War Against Marriage? All things that aren't there, but O'Reilly spends half his time discussing them.

I never said it doesn't happen from those on the right, you just hear it more often from the MSN end of the spectrum with all the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons the left has.

Hmm, now what do those two have in common?
I know, they're baptists! You hate religion. RollinThundr's war against religion!

-------------

88. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:59 Verno

This is a problem of society as a whole, not a left vs right thing. I am frequently annoyed at both sides for it, neither one is really "worse" than the other anymore, maybe 20 years ago but certainly not these days.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

87. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:51 RollinThundr

to

86. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:38 Beamer

to

-------------

85. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:29 RollinThundr

to

84. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 Bhruic

to

83. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 RollinThundr

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 10:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 10:53:
Except it does because you never see republicans waving around the PC card

then

Oh they do, they also have a habit of saying ridiculous things as well

One of these things is not like the other.

82. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 11:14 Verno

Borderlands 2 contains immature humor, this is an important bulletin.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

81. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 NegaDeath

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 10:53:
Except it does because you never see republicans waving around the PC card

then

Oh they do, they also have a habit of saying ridiculous things as well

One of these things is not like the other.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo