Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion

Kotaku has a running summary of an discussion taking place over twitter over whether the Tiny Tina character in Borderlands 2 is racist, based on the white character's use of clichéd African-American slang. Some have expressed the opinion that this is "verbal blackface," and after originally resisting, lead writer Anthony Burch moved on to try to expand the discussion to see if he needed to re-work the character's dialog in future releases. Randy Pitchford's take on this is that it's not racist as long as it was not written by a racist: "@reverendanthony tina is not racist because you are not racist. You're a pillar of tolerance and inclusion." Thanks nin.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

120. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 14:55 Quboid

Perhaps he turned to crime because the caveman who manages the local Burger King hired the white kid instead of him.

Maybe he couldn't get a job because he has a criminal record from when a cop found weed on him - during a search that wouldn't have happened if he was white (as per the 28:1 search ratio I linked to before). Even when the 'victim' is guilty and deserves their punishment, discrimination contributes to racial disadvantage because the white guy with weed benefits by getting away with it, and then gets a job that the black guy couldn't get - even if the employer is totally non-discriminatory.

The thing is, individually, I agree with you. I've no sympathy for individuals who deservedly go to jail. However, when the same things happen to the same sections of society, something's gone wrong. Over generations and millions of people, this will add up and create social divides.

Beamer said nothing about no white kids being below the poverty line, you're arguing against a strawman. How are we as a world and as people in general ever going to move on if we bury our heads in the sand?

BTW, everyone judges people by looking at them, to some extent. Everyone.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 14:28 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 13:19:
Jesus, RollinThundr doesn't live in the world.

"African Americans have the same experiences as anyone else!" Except they're disproportionately in prison and in poverty (of course, with a connection between those), and disproportionately absent in higher education and in corporate leadership.

So life for an average black kid and average white kid are very different, because an average black kid is in or near poverty and an average white kid is in the middle class. Sure, we can compare a middle class black kid to a middle class white kid, but so far fewer black kids are in middle class so what's the point. Beyond that, even if a black kid is in the middle class when he goes out people see him and generally assume he, like the average black kid, isn't.

And why are they in prison? Did they better themselves and try to get out of poverty? Or take the easy way and either start being a gang banger or selling drugs or what not?

Not everyone is going to come into this world in a privileged state, I'm white and I sure as shit didn't and I'm not in jail. They don't give out scholarships to white kids just for them being white either, however this happens for blacks often enough.

Not everyone judges people just by looking at them, if you have that mentality that anytime anyone looks at you then I honestly feel bad for you Beamer. You must be a pretty miserable and bitter person always feeling the man is keeping you down or whatever.

Are you saying there aren't any white people below or at the poverty line? Maybe it's a government conspiracy to keep blacks down? I mean it's kinda somewhat like that with the democrats convincing black people that they give a shit about them or that they'll lift them up if they get voted in to begin with.

How are we as a country and as people in general ever going to move on if people just perpetuate hate and intolerance and cling to class structure based on skin color?

I get it, being brought up in a shitty low income area is going to make it a lot more difficult for one to succeed. But to hear you say it, you make it sound like it's completely impossible to be a good person, come from that type of environment and work hard and make something of yourself. Which is flat out bullshit.

118. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 13:19 Beamer

Jesus, RollinThundr doesn't live in the world.

"African Americans have the same experiences as anyone else!" Except they're disproportionately in prison and in poverty (of course, with a connection between those), and disproportionately absent in higher education and in corporate leadership.

So life for an average black kid and average white kid are very different, because an average black kid is in or near poverty and an average white kid is in the middle class. Sure, we can compare a middle class black kid to a middle class white kid, but so far fewer black kids are in middle class so what's the point. Beyond that, even if a black kid is in the middle class when he goes out people see him and generally assume he, like the average black kid, isn't.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

117. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 13:06 Quboid

These cavemen can't be ignored and sure as hell aren't few. If a caveman works for the police, for example, you can't very well ignore them. The sad fact is that, very generally speaking, black people are still victims and affirmative action (which I consider to be frequently racist) doesn't make up for it (and fundamentally never will, 2 wrongs don't make a right).

Britain is generally seen as a tolerant, open society but we have problems. There are social reasons to somewhat explain this; people in poor areas are more likely to be searched and that is where black people are more likely to live, due to generations of racism, but 28:1? That might explain 3:2 and that's being very generous.

It's not white guilt to think that black people (and other minorities, particularly central/west Asian in the UK) tend to be victims of prejudice. That's reality and although I can't do much to help the situation, I'm not going to bury my head in the sand.

Anyway, I'm off to laugh at some stupid looking yellow people (The Simpsons is on).

- Quboid

116. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 10:02 RollinThundr

Quinn wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:45:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:13:
Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 20:37:
Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 18:40:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:39:
Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:26:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:08:
Just out of curiosity what term would that be that's racist? Why is it only racist if a white person uses said term when black people use it towards each other all the time?

Ug.

Seriously, you're asking questions a child would ask.

Do you have any inside jokes with your family? Maybe your brother eats a lot, and you all make fun of him being fat. It's light-hearted, and you all appreciate it. But if someone outside your family were to call him fat, you'd probably take offense.

You're also ignoring context. The word is derogatory. No one will deny that. And, historically, it was used derogatorily by one race against another.

While it's probably not good for people of the one race to use it, it's absolutely not good for people of the other.

That you're even asking this shows that you've put no thought into understanding why the word is considered offensive and hurtful to some. But that's no surprise - you're one of those people that cares more about your ability to do something and takes great offense to someone saying you shouldn't and puts no care into thinking about why people ask you don't do something. You care only about rights and not about using those rights responsibly.

No I get it, I just hate the double standard is all. That and I love getting your panties in a bunch.

Life is full of double standards, idiot. Everywhere.

The real problem is that whole "family" bullshit. It makes sense in your analogy, Beamer, but for black people to still consider eachother family like that is so 1865. It's exactly that attitude that makes me feel different than many of them: not the colour, but that goddamned "you're my bro and ha ha ha lets laugh at the dancing patterns of white folk.".

Just grow the fuck up and let me be your bro, cause you'd be a mate of mine whatever colour you are.

I dunno to me it doesn't make sense at all. If you're going to get offended at one person calling you a particular word with no ill will meant just due to skin color, you should also get offended when someone of the same skin color uses it. Because to me, that's just racism towards whites. But then again that seems to be allowed and even encouraged. Slavery ended a long time ago, however you wouldn't know it the way some people go about it.

I partially agree with you except for the first part. The word "nigger", for example, was a very downgrading term toward a race the white people considered worthy of nothing but being slaves. I understand black people can call eachother that but get pissed off when white people say it. Imagine the same history, but with the blacks oppressing the whites. They called us "schnitzels". Understandably, we understand the pun of the joke if we white folks call eachother schnitzels... but imagine a black person calling you a schnitzel! You understand he's not meaning it but seriously... show some goddamn respect!? Right!?

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:39:

You always find more affinity to those you know have been through the same experiences you have.

And, although many white people on this board repeatedly try to deny it, growing up black in this country puts you through very different experiences than growing up white.

Oh no you di'nt! I'm sorry man but it's that thing right there that's the root of the problem these days. YOU should stop seeing them as victims and so should THEY. Only the cavemen of today don't treat black people as equels. Cavemen can be ignored, for they are ignorent, extremely dumb and very few.

I get that Quinn, but slavery ended a long time ago. It's time to let go and not feel entitled just based on skin color and past regressions.

Beamer, African American's aren't victims, especially not in this day and age with affirmative action and all the agencies out there, the NCAAP for example, some of which are more racist than the white people they're so angry about.

It's 2013, not 1900, this mentality that persist that people are owed something based on skin color alone isn't even a discussion we should be having at this point.

People often talk about gun culture when they're rallying on about how evil inanimate objects are. I think the black culture of violent rap music, wearing their pants down to their ankles, and essentially acting a fool are far more detrimental to everyone involved.

And while I know Beamer will hate this, personal responsibility is still king.

115. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 09:45 Quinn

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:13:
Just out of curiosity what term would that be that's racist? Why is it only racist if a white person uses said term when black people use it towards each other all the time?

Ug.

Do you have any inside jokes with your family? Maybe your brother eats a lot, and you all make fun of him being fat. It's light-hearted, and you all appreciate it. But if someone outside your family were to call him fat, you'd probably take offense.

You're also ignoring context. The word is derogatory. No one will deny that. And, historically, it was used derogatorily by one race against another.

While it's probably not good for people of the one race to use it, it's absolutely not good for people of the other.

That you're even asking this shows that you've put no thought into understanding why the word is considered offensive and hurtful to some. But that's no surprise - you're one of those people that cares more about your ability to do something and takes great offense to someone saying you shouldn't and puts no care into thinking about why people ask you don't do something. You care only about rights and not about using those rights responsibly.

No I get it, I just hate the double standard is all. That and I love getting your panties in a bunch.

The real problem is that whole "family" bullshit. It makes sense in your analogy, Beamer, but for black people to still consider eachother family like that is so 1865. It's exactly that attitude that makes me feel different than many of them: not the colour, but that goddamned "you're my bro and ha ha ha lets laugh at the dancing patterns of white folk.".

Just grow the fuck up and let me be your bro, cause you'd be a mate of mine whatever colour you are.

I dunno to me it doesn't make sense at all. If you're going to get offended at one person calling you a particular word with no ill will meant just due to skin color, you should also get offended when someone of the same skin color uses it. Because to me, that's just racism towards whites. But then again that seems to be allowed and even encouraged. Slavery ended a long time ago, however you wouldn't know it the way some people go about it.

I partially agree with you except for the first part. The word "nigger", for example, was a very downgrading term toward a race the white people considered worthy of nothing but being slaves. I understand black people can call eachother that but get pissed off when white people say it. Imagine the same history, but with the blacks oppressing the whites. They called us "schnitzels". Understandably, we understand the pun of the joke if we white folks call eachother schnitzels... but imagine a black person calling you a schnitzel! You understand he's not meaning it but seriously... show some goddamn respect!? Right!?

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:39:

You always find more affinity to those you know have been through the same experiences you have.

And, although many white people on this board repeatedly try to deny it, growing up black in this country puts you through very different experiences than growing up white.

Oh no you di'nt! I'm sorry man but it's that thing right there that's the root of the problem these days. YOU should stop seeing them as victims and so should THEY. Only the cavemen of today don't treat black people as equels. Cavemen can be ignored, for they are ignorent, extremely dumb and very few.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

114. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 09:06 Quboid

Prez wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 01:10:
Sorry kind of side tracked there but I've always felt more optimistic about younger generations than what I perceive to be the majority opinion of "kids these days... " types.

Same here. Kids today by and large seem so much more enlightened and open to reason than my generation seemed to. My daughter astounds me with her ability to reason, show compassion, and think for herself.

From what I've seen, most young people are nice, polite, open minded and tolerant. There are bad eggs, and a great many of them, but "kids these days" ain't so bad.

- Quboid

113. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 08:39 Beamer

Ug.

-------------

112. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 08:13 RollinThundr

Ug.

111. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 5, 2013, 01:10 Prez

Sorry kind of side tracked there but I've always felt more optimistic about younger generations than what I perceive to be the majority opinion of "kids these days... " types.

Same here. Kids today by and large seem so much more enlightened and open to reason than my generation seemed to. My daughter astounds me with her ability to reason, show compassion, and think for herself.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

110. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 22:15 Sepharo

4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 21:51:
Kids have surprised me, I see things today that I would not have seen when I graduated high school in 1991.

In a positive or negative way? I'm assuming positive because of the sentence that followed. I think critical thinking is a skill that combats the ignorance often at the center of racism. Racist ideas crumble easily when analyzed. I'm so thankful that I had decent teachers in school who managed to teach "how to reason" and "how to learn" instead of just collections of facts and things to memorize for a test.

109. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 21:51 4D-Boxing

D@amn... cant believe i missed this party!

You can be my bro Quinn. We just took one step for mankind together.
The family stuff you see is an illusion, its like if you where to go to lets say Russia walk into a bar... you would end up with the goup of people from the US or Canada etc.. People gravitate to each other because they dont feel like they fit in even if they try and assume that many around them think of them in term of negative stereo types. So both sides because of misconceptions and assumptions get into an "US" vs "THEM" mode to cope with the situation.

About the game, yes that part though short did leave a bit of a bad taste but sadly its common for me to hear people at work go into that "ghetto mode" when they talk to me. Some because they are uncomfortable..try to be funny and fail and others have less pleasant reasons for acting like that.

Maybe it does not hit as hard because its a common theme for bad jokes at work (before that school) or because of my lineage directly from the old continent and not slavery plus being the first born here. Anyways all this to say, people need to breath. People often see this as black and white but today there are other ethnic groups/races that treat me worst than some prejudice white people have.

Small groups always manage to make lots of noise and hijack and manipulate the issue which results in backward steps. Kids have surprised me, I see things today that I would not have seen when I graduated high school in 1991. Despite the drama etc... people educate themselves, info is more accessible than ever and society evolves. Not as fast as it should or could but it is evolving.

108. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 20:37 Quinn

Ug.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

107. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 18:40 Beamer

Ug.

-------------

106. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 18:05 Bhruic

After thinking about this, I've come to the conclusion they might have a point. Because if there's one thing that African-Americans are known for, it's their tea parties.  

105. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 17:39 Quboid

deqer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 16:11:
If someone wants to live the life of a "homie G from da ghetto D" and therefore talk slang, then let them. And let them do it in peace without you claiming them to be racist because of their chosen lifestyle and way of talking.

Being a wigger is not being a racist.

No one in this thread is saying that being a wigger is racist. Everyone here appears to be in agreement that the accusation of racism aimed at Borderlands 2 is at best nonsense.

- Quboid

104. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 16:24 Angrius Maximis

You talk ghetto, you get portrayed ghetto. Guess thats the way it goes  

103. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 16:11 deqer

If someone wants to live the life of a "homie G from da ghetto D" and therefore talk slang, then let them. And let them do it in peace without you claiming them to be racist because of their chosen lifestyle and way of talking.

Being a wigger is not being a racist.

/thread

102. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 14:39 RollinThundr

Ug.

101. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 14:26 Beamer

Ug.

-------------

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo