Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Super Sunday Metaverse

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 17:34 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 16:15:
You mean the gadgets that keep getting disabled due to security issues? And that the majority of people don't use. Odd I've yet to use the ribbon, but that's probably because I've been using nothing but keyboard shortcuts for the last 12 years.

Disabled due to "security" issues 6 years after being introduced, conveniently just a few months before Windows 8 release. And they never even bothered to fix the security holes, instead they tell people to buy windows 8 or just sod off and disable the feature. The MS website used to have gadgets that were tested by MS and perfectly safe for use, once again you go there and it pushes you towards Windows 8.

As for a majority not using it, how much is that? Even 10% of windows 7 licenses sold is 60 million people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 17:24 Crustacean Soup

One cool thing about Windows 8: it works really well with the latest version of Splashtop from an Android tablet, since Splashtop now uses Windows 8's built-in touchscreen device support. You can use Windows 8's own onscreen keyboard and everything.

One odd thing: whenever Fallout New Vegas crashes on me, it takes down Metro altogether. No more start menu unless using a start menu replacer. What?

One annoying thing: The task manager, while very nice, takes forever to start.

25. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 16:15 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:20:
Start8 fixes a few things but not all. You need the 8 Gadget Pack to restore desktop gadgets, and if you dislike "ribbons" you need another utility to restore the windows 7 interface in explorer. There are a few other things but they're pretty minor. And yes people miss aero glass, not everyone likes the minimalist Windows 95 approach of 8.

So yes if you install a few mods you can get an uglier, slightly faster Windows 7. Assuming MS doesn't disable these mods with a patch again.
You mean the gadgets that keep getting disabled due to security issues? And that the majority of people don't use. Odd I've yet to use the ribbon, but that's probably because I've been using nothing but keyboard shortcuts for the last 12 years.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 14:20 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 13:38:
No but start8 does. And really I can't find a difference between Win7 or Win8 with it. Unless you've got a real hardon over aero, which I hated anyway.

Start8 fixes a few things but not all. You need the 8 Gadget Pack to restore desktop gadgets, and if you dislike "ribbons" you need another utility to restore the windows 7 interface in explorer. There are a few other things but they're pretty minor. And yes people miss aero glass, not everyone likes the minimalist Windows 95 approach of 8.

So yes if you install a few mods you can get an uglier, slightly faster Windows 7. Assuming MS doesn't disable these mods with a patch again.

23. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 13:38 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:37:

Classic shell doesn't fix everything.
No but start8 does. And really I can't find a difference between Win7 or Win8 with it. Unless you've got a real hardon over aero, which I hated anyway.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 13:11 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:24:
Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:11:
Julio wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 18:18:
What decline for Win 7, a few thousand users of Windows 8 doesn't mean that Win7 is dead.

It simply means sales are going down, which makes sense, as it's not being actually offered on sale anymore.

Creston

Dell had it last week, I checked...

edit: yep, still there

edit again: Or did you mean 8 and it's sale price? Sorry, extreme monday morning brain damage.

No, I meant 7. I wasn't aware you could still get it, but I'm sure it's not as prevalent anymore now that 8 is out, thus its sales go down.

Creston

21. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 12:11 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:18:
Axis wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:56:
1. Windows 8 is garbage.
2. Classic shell and familiarity makes windows 8 suck less, but still sucks.
3. Internet explorer is garbage.
4. Internet explorer is better than it used to be, but still sucks.
5. The only reason "IE is "growing", is because people buy windows computers and laptops, which have IE on, and people are still lazy.
Shorter Axis: screw Windows, go play Path of Exile.

This post wins the thread. hehe

20. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 11:37 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 05:11:
So, if you're using classic shell or start8. Which makes Win8 pretty much the same as Win7, are you saying that Win7 also sucks?

Classic shell doesn't fix everything.

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:24:

I picked up a couple Windows 7 licenses from NCIX for some work machines, although that was probably just their remaining inventory.

19. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 nin

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 11:11:
What decline for Win 7, a few thousand users of Windows 8 doesn't mean that Win7 is dead.

It simply means sales are going down, which makes sense, as it's not being actually offered on sale anymore.

Creston

edit again: Or did you mean 8 and it's sale price? Sorry, extreme monday morning brain damage.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2013, 11:44.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 Creston

Creston

17. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 05:11 Mashiki Amiketo

1. Windows 8 is garbage.
So, if you're using classic shell or start8. Which makes Win8 pretty much the same as Win7, are you saying that Win7 also sucks?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 22:33 Ant

killer_roach wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 22:22:
Ant wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:31:
I still use XP Pro. SP3. Bite me! :p

Rather not. I don't know where you've been.
Wimp!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 22:25 Axis

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:18:
1. Windows 8 is garbage.
5. The only reason "IE is "growing", is because people buy windows computers and laptops, which have IE on, and people are still lazy.

Ya what JD said!

On the Open Source discussion, I've ran open office, thunderbird, and firefox with no scripts for years now - there's simply no better alternatives paid for or not.

Course I run virtually all open source apps anyway at home and on my clients regardless of OS -- 7zip, gimp, filezilla, joomla, vlc, sage, the list goes on.

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 22:22 killer_roach

Ant wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:31:

Rather not. I don't know where you've been.

13. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 21:31 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 21:18 jdreyer

1. Windows 8 is garbage.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 21:10 Tom

deqer wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:16:
Of course there is a decline in windows 7, when you have vendors like Dell forcing Windows 8 on customers now. What did you expect? Since it's being forced on people, I wouldn't say it's anything to really talk about. It's shit.

Struck a nerve though, didn't it?

10. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 20:47 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:03:

What are you using for mail? I'd love to kick office to curb (at least at home), but I really like Outlook, and have yet to find something I like to replace it...

I am using Thunderbird at work, and webmail at home for about 4 years now.
Did you try the regular outlook at home that is not part of office? I've heard some people like that.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 20:16 deqer

Of course there is a decline in windows 7, when you have vendors like Dell forcing Windows 8 on customers now. What did you expect? Since it's being forced on people, I wouldn't say it's anything to really talk about. It's shit.  

8. Re: Super Sunday Metaverse Feb 3, 2013, 20:03 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 19:55:
JediPunisher wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 16:56:
I read that MS is pushing for a 12-18 month upgrade cycle for Windows along with a subscription model similar to the new Office 2013
Good luck with that.
Last I've heard their Office package isn't exactly a hot seller anymore. New OS every year is just silly talk.
I've switched to Open Office about a year ago, never looked back. Since then most of my office staff converted over to Open Office also.
No gimmick basic Office software, it works and the price is right.

What are you using for mail? I'd love to kick office to curb (at least at home), but I really like Outlook, and have yet to find something I like to replace it...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo