Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Groundhog Day! Neither of the local celebrity rodent weathermen, Punxsutawney Phil and Staten Island Chuck, saw their shadows, a harbinger of early spring. Actually I assume it's other people looking for their shadows, as who can really see into the mind of a groundhog? And I don't know how it worked out like that, because it was sunny around here, but I'll take an early spring.

Traditional Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Frogout.
Links: The Latest 'Working Portal Gun In Real Life' Hack Is Pretty Damn Cool.
Stories: What time is the Super Bowl?: Answers to your questions about the big game.
Science: CDC: Beware the leafy greens, poultry and dairy.
Images: Velma from Scooby-Doo! + Obi-Wan Kenobi = Hipster Barista.
Media: Puppy Determined To Get On Treadmill.
The best part of my Day.
Mai lasciare microfono in mano ad una fan.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2013, 01:46 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:15:
Conspiracy theorists don't subscribe to Occam's razor.

ROFL!

"They just f'd up the launch of the PS Vita" just doesn't have the same thrill...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2013, 00:41 Ant

Prez wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 00:37:
Why blame the power outage for upending the game? The half-time show ate up about an hour. I can't understand how the NFL allows hour-long half-time shows when it clearly upsets the flow of the game. I like ogling Beyonce as much as the next under-sexed heterosexual loser, but put that shit before or after the game.
An hour????

Let's blame Oreo: https://twitter.com/Oreo/status/298246571718483968
[grin]

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2013, 00:37 Prez

Why blame the power outage for upending the game? The half-time show ate up about an hour. I can't understand how the NFL allows hour-long half-time shows when it clearly upsets the flow of the game. I like ogling Beyonce as much as the next under-sexed heterosexual loser, but put that shit before or after the game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2013, 00:31 Cutter

So long as we don't have to hear anymore about that criminal Lewis fine. I just hope he fucks up big time now and ends up in prison where he belongs. He's probably been cheating the whole time anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 23:19 Ant

El Pit wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 23:10:
Quboid wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:03:
subx wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:48:
jimnms wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 15:21:
The evidence of this "theory" were clues hidden in the movie "The Sum of All Fears." Ucrazy

So, er, was there a plot revolving around a power cut in that movie?

Neo-nazis have nuked half the local power station? Or Arab extremists, which IIRC were in the book but the movie makes pussied out of.

No, it was Bane. He came out to tell the people of New Orleans to take control of their city. Batman made sure the power came back, though.
LOL!!! If it was him, where was the ground breaking up?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Conspiracy corner! Feb 3, 2013, 23:14 Creston

So who caused the power outage? One of the 49'ers staff, or one of the NFL staff?

Because without that power outage, this game is a blowout for the Ravens, and my pick would have been a little more secure.

And now, time to bitch at the coaches. That fake field goal was a fucking terrible call. Obviously nobody bitches about it if it works, but it's a field goal that puts you up by two possessions for a tie (so it's not a pointless field goal), the distance was waaay too far, and to top it all off, the guy's blockers all run right and he runs left with exactly one blocker. I doubt that that particular play has ever even worked in practice.

But then Baltimore Harbaugh makes up for it with a brilliant, BRILLIANT intentional safety play. Letting his punter hold on to the ball for 8 seconds in the end zone was genius.

On the other side, San Francisco Harbaugh gets paid millions of dollars to be a head coach, but apparently is incapable of doing simple mathematics when deciding to go for 2 after a TD.

Situation: Down 28-6, you need 3TDs, and one 2-point conversion. You score a TD, so the score is 28-12. If you go for 2 here, you either make it, in which case it's 28-14 and you're down two normal TDs, OR you don't make it, in which case you are still only down 2 possessions, albeit two possessions which require two 2-point conversions. But it's still a 2 possession game.

By refusing to even try for the 2 points there, he makes it a game where after the next TD, it's 28-19, and now he's put himself in a position where if he DOESN'T make the 2-point conversion, it immediately becomes a 2 possession game again. Then he even doesn't bother with the first opportunity, instead waiting to the last one, at which point everyone in the world knows you need to go for it (and hurray for the CBS cockwit announcing that "As soon as they scored that TD, SF Harbaugh KNEW he had to go for 2!" as if it's some kind of fucking visionary miracle... fuck they were terrible.) and thus Bawlmer just stacks 10 guys in the box.

How, as a head coach, do you not play the 2 attempts game, instead making it a one-attempt-or-lose-a-possession situation? Again, these guys make millions of dollars, and yet simple stuff like this apparently escapes them? Do they not have some assistant somewhere to come up to them and explain the scenario?

Anyway, great game, and one thing's for sure, Joe Flacco is making a lot of money next year.

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 23:10 El Pit

Quboid wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 21:03:
The evidence of this "theory" were clues hidden in the movie "The Sum of All Fears." Ucrazy

Neo-nazis have nuked half the local power station? Or Arab extremists, which IIRC were in the book but the movie makes pussied out of.

No, it was Bane. He came out to tell the people of New Orleans to take control of their city. Batman made sure the power came back, though.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

20. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 23:08 1badmf

culliver was getting away with shit all night, until he had to make it painfully obvious (and still bitched about the call).  

19. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 23:04 Linksil

I'm sorry, but the ref calls just seemed off. I just was looking for a close game (which it did end in). But the start and end seemed like the ravens were given a lot more slack with what they considered acceptable coverage/pushing/holding.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

18. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 22:56 Ant

Kosumo wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 22:54:
Was a good entertaning game none the less.
Yeah, I was hoping 49ers could win this. They got lucky with that power outage. LOL! I think they caused it!

17. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 22:54 Kosumo

Was a good entertaning game none the less.  

16. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 22:52 1badmf

if the 9ers had come back, that power outage would've become the stuff of legend. the ravens would've run away and hid had their momentum not been interrupted and the 9ers got a chance to regroup.  

15. Re: Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 22:46 The Half Elf

Not a huge football fan, but damn that was exciting. Really wish the 49'ers would have won.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Super Bowl Feb 3, 2013, 21:53 Ant

Nice power outage. 49ers coming back. Dang!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 21:08 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:03:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 19:59:
Blue stuck in the groundhog day loop with Chevy Chase again!

Bill Murray?

My bad Bill Murray is correct.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 21:03 Quboid

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 20:48 subx

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 20:17 jdreyer

Not lookin' good for the 'Niner's.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 20:15 jdreyer

I stumbled on some conspiracy theory BS on YouTube last night warning people not to go to the Super Bowl because the government staged the Sandy Hook shooting and is planning something at the Super Bowl. The evidence of this "theory" were clues hidden in the movie "The Sum of All Fears." Ucrazy

If the government or anyone were planning some act of terror, why would they put clues of their plan in some stupid movie and give people 10 years to find the clues before pulling it off?

Conspiracy theorists don't subscribe to Occam's razor.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 20:03 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 19:59:
Blue stuck in the groundhog day loop with Chevy Chase again!

Bill Murray?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo