Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III PTR Updated

The Patch Notes for the upcoming version 1.07 patch for Diablo III have a few more new entries showing changes implemented yesterday on the Public Test Realm for Blizzard's upcoming action/RPG. This overhauls how damage is added to items by socketing any ruby, not just the higher quality gems. This is explained in this separate post discussing a bug in how "black" damage is calculated that isn't being addressed, and how this changes the impact of socketing rubies, which is being changed. They are also reducing the cost of repairing items with Marquise gems and have improved the visual effect of the Reflects Damage affix.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 21:57 jacobvandy

That's fair. Really, once you get going with the game and start finding rares, you will end up ignoring all the white loot and most of the blue loot unless you're farming them to trade in for scrolls and basic crafting stuff (such as ones that upgrade a normal item to magic or re-roll magic properties). In the mid- to late-game, though, you start looking mostly at the inherent properties and number/color/connectivity of sockets. Because if you find, for instance, a white wand with the maximum bonus to spell damage and 3 connected blue sockets, that would be a good candidate for upgrading to a yellow item using a rare crafting material called an Orb of Alchemy. Then of course you're at the mercy of the dice rolls, and the item could still suck, but my point is you get into the business of manufacturing your own good loot the further you progress in the game, in addition to finding the occasional awesome drop.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 21:08 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 19:39:
See, I look at it the completely opposite way... Loot in PoE, especially if you get a really lucky roll like you probably did and I have a few times, isn't completely worthless/disposable like it is in Diablo 3 or even Torchlight 2 to a somewhat lesser extent. Especially with all the various crafting items you can use to either enhance the base qualities of your equipment or upgrade to a higher tier or re-roll the mods and values of mods. Depending on what you want for your specific character build, lower level items can be very useful (particularly jewelry) for a long time.

Legendary items, of which I've only seen a few thus far, are also very unique. I have some mage shoes that give you +100% rarity of dropped items when you're on low health, which would encourage you to treasure hunt by gambling with your safety (having no life regen and relying on the energy shield for protection). That will never lose its utility, despite being only level 9.

Yeah that might be part of it. I haven't gotten into the "economy" as much I guess.

Mostly it's like "yawn... another short bow that does 3-10 damage, plus 1-3 ice damage. That makes this the 20th one I've found."

20. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 19:39 jacobvandy

See, I look at it the completely opposite way... Loot in PoE, especially if you get a really lucky roll like you probably did and I have a few times, isn't completely worthless/disposable like it is in Diablo 3 or even Torchlight 2 to a somewhat lesser extent. Especially with all the various crafting items you can use to either enhance the base qualities of your equipment or upgrade to a higher tier or re-roll the mods and values of mods. Depending on what you want for your specific character build, lower level items can be very useful (particularly jewelry) for a long time.

Legendary items, of which I've only seen a few thus far, are also very unique. I have some mage shoes that give you +100% rarity of dropped items when you're on low health, which would encourage you to treasure hunt by gambling with your safety (having no life regen and relying on the energy shield for protection). That will never lose its utility, despite being only level 9.

19. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 18:05 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 15:02:
Path of Exile has retained the Accuracy Rating and Chance to Hit mechanics, which Diablo 3 did not... Basically there's a small to negligible (depending on your Dexterity, etc.) chance for an attack to miss completely, which is definitely jarring when you're used to that other style of "I'm standing right next to him, why shouldn't every swing connect?" I'm betting that's a large part of what you guys are calling "clunky" combat.

Granted, it still annoys me at times, especially since open beta happened and they've been struggling to keep the game from lagging, so it's sometimes hard to tell whether you're missing or just suffering latency issues... But I think it makes things a lot more interesting. Big dumb brute swinging a mace hits hard, but he misses up to 1/4 of the time. Deadeye ranger is rarely off the mark with her arrows, and the rest of the classes are somewhere in between.

FWIW, spells cannot miss unless you just screw up the targeting or the enemy moves out of the way.

I haven't felt the urge to go back to it since the first day I installed/played it. Got through the prison and went "meh" and wandered off to do real world stuff. I'll give it one more session to try to hook me, but I'm not expecting it to.

Edit: The loot drops feel funky as hell oddly enough. Maybe it's just some lucky loot, but I only change each piece of armor every 3-4 levels, and I haven't seen a chest piece that does better than what I have in over 10 levels. Which yeah, means that I swap a piece or two out every level, but the loot feels so... static... especially with the rather draconian economy system and your teeny tiny inventory space.

18. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 16:31 Beelzebud

Torchlight II scratched my ARPG itch for now.  

17. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 15:02 jacobvandy

Path of Exile has retained the Accuracy Rating and Chance to Hit mechanics, which Diablo 3 did not... Basically there's a small to negligible (depending on your Dexterity, etc.) chance for an attack to miss completely, which is definitely jarring when you're used to that other style of "I'm standing right next to him, why shouldn't every swing connect?" I'm betting that's a large part of what you guys are calling "clunky" combat.

Granted, it still annoys me at times, especially since open beta happened and they've been struggling to keep the game from lagging, so it's sometimes hard to tell whether you're missing or just suffering latency issues... But I think it makes things a lot more interesting. Big dumb brute swinging a mace hits hard, but he misses up to 1/4 of the time. Deadeye ranger is rarely off the mark with her arrows, and the rest of the classes are somewhere in between.

FWIW, spells cannot miss unless you just screw up the targeting or the enemy moves out of the way.

16. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:53 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:15:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:19:
Because it's news about a game and this is a gaming news site?
A PTR UPDATE! WOWWWWWWW! ... ...

I sort of like that as the subject line of the news post. Maybe blue can give you a job.

15. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:46 AngelicPenguin

Alamar wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:15:
MisterBenn wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:50:
Hark659 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:51:
Too busy playing Path of Exile.

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

I've played a bunch more, and there are a few interesting bits to it, but the combat is so... clunky, it's very off-putting...

But I'm still trying to 'give it a chance', and I got my Shadow to 21 or so, and now that I have cleave (Which is Strength, as opposed to my Shadow that is the other two), I'm enjoying using that.

I do like DoTs though, so Viper Strike (melee DoT, stacked up to 4 times) and the fire trap (ranged, AOE DoT) are what I mainly have been using, but again, clunky... Especially switching targets...

I'm not sure if it's just an animation thing that so many people have complained about with some games (that I never had an issue with), or it's just timing on attacks/switching targets, etc... I've heard that more attack speed helps, but only so much as to make the awkward parts a bit shorter.

-Alamar

I felt the same way...the combat feels off. Say what you want about D3 but they nailed the bad ass killing creatures part.

14. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:24 Undocumented Alien

I've played a bunch more, and there are a few interesting bits to it, but the combat is so... clunky, it's very off-putting...

Yes, they defintely need to tweak melee combat. I played a Templar for a bit and it felt bland, then played a Archer/Ranger and Witch and had MUCH more fun. I beleive you are correct in that attack speeds are supposed to help with this. Hopefully they will take a look at this before releasing PoE. I believe I have seen forum threads on the PoE discussing this so I believe that GGG is aware of the feedback.

13. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:16 Optional Nickname!

Please, more details?

12. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:15 Alamar

MisterBenn wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:50:

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

But I'm still trying to 'give it a chance', and I got my Shadow to 21 or so, and now that I have cleave (Which is Strength, as opposed to my Shadow that is the other two), I'm enjoying using that.

I do like DoTs though, so Viper Strike (melee DoT, stacked up to 4 times) and the fire trap (ranged, AOE DoT) are what I mainly have been using, but again, clunky... Especially switching targets...

I'm not sure if it's just an animation thing that so many people have complained about with some games (that I never had an issue with), or it's just timing on attacks/switching targets, etc... I've heard that more attack speed helps, but only so much as to make the awkward parts a bit shorter.

-Alamar

11. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 13:50 MisterBenn

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

10. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 13:31 descender

"All this talk about updates to updates, to changes to updates, to a test of an update, is absolutely insulting."

Am I missing something? What the hell are you talking about?

The fact that they will patch and patch and patch this game (just like Diablo 2, everyone's first childhood stiffy) is a bad thing now?

The fact that they actually seem to be using the PTR correctly is... bothering you? Unlike every other game that has ever had a beta test server like this?

9. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 13:16 LgFriess

+2

8. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 12:15 deqer

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:19:
A PTR UPDATE! WOWWWWWWW! ... ...

7. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 11:59 Undocumented Alien

Too busy playing Path of Exile

+1

6. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 11:51 Hark659

5. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 11:24 dj LiTh

Well if it pisses off deqer, i think blues should actually post more d3 news. I like knowing that his blood pressure goes up everytime there's d3 related news.  

4. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 11:19 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:51:
Why are you still posting news about this fucking game?

It's too late now. It's over.

The game is ruined, and too late now for patches and stuff.

3. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 10:51 deqer

Why are you still posting news about this fucking game?

It's too late now. It's over.

The game is ruined, and too late now for patches and stuff.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo