Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

games.on.net - The SimCity beta wonít help to win over the anti-DRM crowd.
I get that itís a beta. It has the word ĎBETAí stamped on it in about fifteen thousand different places. I understand that the multiplayer possibly ó almost definitely ó isnít ready for public consumption yet. Thatís fine. EAís server team were no doubt working overtime on ironing out the kinks in their connectivity, and a fine job they did too. But the damage, for many, was probably already done.

With its one hour time limit and non-existent online capabilities, the SimCity we saw on the weekend isnít the one that is going to help Maxis win over the anti-DRM crowd. If anything, itís just going to push them further into their holes.

View
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:22:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:12:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:10:
I get it.
No. You dont.

This is supposed to be a beta test, not an official demo.

Yeah, and how many of those participating in it are doing it because they're interested in finding bugs and testing servers and how many are interested because they want to see if a game is good or not?

How many gamers out there, even on this board, have been part of a beta test and reported back that something is a boring piece of crap and not worth money, even though their judgment was based solely on an unfinished product?

It's completely naive to pretend a beta test isn't a demo.

LoL dude, just lol. Sure its a demo, of course its a demo. Its ALSO a beta test. Or at least it claims to be a beta. Can you see the difference? BETA >= DEMO. And reporting back on the boring and crappy aspects of a game is also beta testing, because if they are paying attention or give a shit, developers will try to fix the fixable problems. Although there is only so much that you can fix once a game reaches beta status.

I have a nifty blue line!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 1, 09:16 Re: Op Ed nin
  2. Feb 1, 09:28  Re: Op Ed InBlack
  3. Feb 1, 09:34 Re: Op Ed Cutter
  11. Feb 1, 10:55  Re: Op Ed Creston
  12. Feb 1, 10:59   Re: Op Ed InBlack
  4. Feb 1, 09:54 Re: Op Ed Krizzen
  5. Feb 1, 10:06  Re: Op Ed InBlack
  6. Feb 1, 10:10  Re: Op Ed Beamer
  7. Feb 1, 10:12   Re: Op Ed Kajetan