Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

games.on.net - The SimCity beta wonít help to win over the anti-DRM crowd.
I get that itís a beta. It has the word ĎBETAí stamped on it in about fifteen thousand different places. I understand that the multiplayer possibly ó almost definitely ó isnít ready for public consumption yet. Thatís fine. EAís server team were no doubt working overtime on ironing out the kinks in their connectivity, and a fine job they did too. But the damage, for many, was probably already done.

With its one hour time limit and non-existent online capabilities, the SimCity we saw on the weekend isnít the one that is going to help Maxis win over the anti-DRM crowd. If anything, itís just going to push them further into their holes.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 19:38 Slick

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:15:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:06:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:42:
Yes, it's both. But to 99% of consumers it's one. You have to handle it as such.
Would you please stop it already and admit you made a mistake?

You turn the definition of words just as you please. You dont argue anymore, you are blabbering.

I don't understand this at all.

What was my mistake? Do you think I didn't know it was a beta? It's in all caps in the second sentence of this article.

And this isn't babbling. I'll put it in caps, for you: MOST PEOPLE PLAY OPEN BETAS NOT TO HELP TEST A GAME BUT TO DEMO IT. There. Now do you see why it's important for a company doing an open beta to treat it like a demo? Yes, they want to learn something from it - in this case they want to pressure test their servers. But if they don't pay close attention to the product they're putting out there and to treat it like a demo that they learn as much from then the consumer then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

It's like a restaurant doing a soft open. Essentially it's a beta test - you aren't advertising it, and you're letting everyone know that it's the first real night so there will be kinks. But rest assured the next morning there will be Yelp reviews bitching that the service was slow and the burger was overcooked. There will be people swearing they'd never return.

don't waste your breath dude, this guy's just trolling you. infact the more time you take to write your thoughts in a concise manner only frustrates these people and they'll come back at you with a 1-sentence response attacking you for being dumb and wrong. it's the fox news approach, if you don't agree with the other person, just ignore everything they say and tell them they're a pinhead.

at least know that when you do take the time, there are people out there who read your words and who appreciate them, it's not just for these clowns, there are sane people on this site who appreciate a level head.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 18:59 Shok

I'm voting on this by not making a purchase. Not that I want what they are selling anyway.

Even if it was the best most innovative game ever I would still hesitate knowing EA's track record shutting down servers. I can see it now: "Sorry guys we are shutting down SimCity2013 online access but just pay us $60 for SimCity2014 and we'll import your saves for free! (Hey we gotta pay off that SWTOR license debt somehow guys)"

17. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 18:34 Julio

No thanks to the SimCrap beta.  

16. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 17:29 jacobvandy

I refused to download 13 fucking gigabytes for however many hour-long sessions I cared to play in one weekend. Worst semi-open beta ever. And because of Origin's incompetent design I have SIMCITY CLOSED BETA cluttering up my list of games for who knows how long. (It was months for the BF3 alpha.)  

15. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 14:15 Beamer

Kajetan wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:06:
Yes, it's both. But to 99% of consumers it's one. You have to handle it as such.

You turn the definition of words just as you please. You dont argue anymore, you are blabbering.

I don't understand this at all.

What was my mistake? Do you think I didn't know it was a beta? It's in all caps in the second sentence of this article.

And this isn't babbling. I'll put it in caps, for you: MOST PEOPLE PLAY OPEN BETAS NOT TO HELP TEST A GAME BUT TO DEMO IT. There. Now do you see why it's important for a company doing an open beta to treat it like a demo? Yes, they want to learn something from it - in this case they want to pressure test their servers. But if they don't pay close attention to the product they're putting out there and to treat it like a demo that they learn as much from then the consumer then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

It's like a restaurant doing a soft open. Essentially it's a beta test - you aren't advertising it, and you're letting everyone know that it's the first real night so there will be kinks. But rest assured the next morning there will be Yelp reviews bitching that the service was slow and the burger was overcooked. There will be people swearing they'd never return.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 14:06 Kajetan

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 13:42 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:46:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:22:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:12:
Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:10:
I get it.
No. You dont.

This is supposed to be a beta test, not an official demo.

Yeah, and how many of those participating in it are doing it because they're interested in finding bugs and testing servers and how many are interested because they want to see if a game is good or not?

How many gamers out there, even on this board, have been part of a beta test and reported back that something is a boring piece of crap and not worth money, even though their judgment was based solely on an unfinished product?

It's completely naive to pretend a beta test isn't a demo.

LoL dude, just lol. Sure its a demo, of course its a demo. Its ALSO a beta test. Or at least it claims to be a beta. Can you see the difference? BETA >= DEMO. And reporting back on the boring and crappy aspects of a game is also beta testing, because if they are paying attention or give a shit, developers will try to fix the fixable problems. Although there is only so much that you can fix once a game reaches beta status.

: Sigh :

I never said that people report back on crappy, boring parts of games. I said they go to message boards and tell everyone it's crappy and boring and not worth buying full price. That's extremely different from telling the developers that certain aspects need more refinement.

Fact: most people in open betas are treating the game as a demo

-------------

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:59 InBlack

I suspect that just like with D3, DRM will be the least of Simcity's problems.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:55 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:34:
We'll see if they're going to get punished for this or not. Diablo 3 got away with it because a lot of people din't realize what they were getting into but they do now so I'm really curious to see how this will pan out. I hope it gets crushed hard. That's the message publishers need to be sent.

It won't make more than a tiny difference. Everyone knew exactly what they were getting into with Diablo 3, and everyone happily sent the message to publishers that "We will gladly accept this if it's a game we want."

Sim City will sell quite well. I don't know that it'll be a mega-success, but the DRM won't turn off too many people. EA knows this very well, which is why they're putting it in.

Creston

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:22:
I get it.
No. You dont.

Yeah, and how many of those participating in it are doing it because they're interested in finding bugs and testing servers and how many are interested because they want to see if a game is good or not?

How many gamers out there, even on this board, have been part of a beta test and reported back that something is a boring piece of crap and not worth money, even though their judgment was based solely on an unfinished product?

LoL dude, just lol. Sure its a demo, of course its a demo. Its ALSO a beta test. Or at least it claims to be a beta. Can you see the difference? BETA >= DEMO. And reporting back on the boring and crappy aspects of a game is also beta testing, because if they are paying attention or give a shit, developers will try to fix the fixable problems. Although there is only so much that you can fix once a game reaches beta status.

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:27 Tumbler

That one hour limit sure sounds like a timed trial or demo.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:22 Beamer

I get it.
No. You dont.

-------------

7. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:12 Kajetan

I get it.
No. You dont.

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:10 Beamer

Krizzen wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:54:
"With its one hour time limit ..." *snip*

Beta testing with a time limit? What a joke.

Of course, beta "testing" has been a joke for years now. A time limit just seems absurd. Almost absurd as a single portion of a single act of that one game...

I get it.

With a game like SimCity, you can't really give more than that. People would reach the endgame, decide they'd seen it all, and not play. Hell, had someone given me 3 free hours of The Sims I never would have purchased it, because I saw all there was to see in that time and had no interest in going back.

Is that fair? Maybe not. There was probably more depth and strategy possible. But, on the surface, I'd seen it all. Why pay if you've already taken a city from nothing to everything? Yeah, you could do it better, or solve more problems, and maybe there are scenarios (truthfully, I only played SC and SC2K but put probably 50-100 hours into each and never once enjoyed a scenario), but a good chunk of buyers would have seen enough that, even if they really enjoyed it, they'd decide to put their money into something entirely new.

Yeah, you can spin that as bad design, but I disagree - it's more something inherent in a game that is a total sandbox. I think MineCraft would have had a similar issue - it's another game that I could have played for a weekend and felt I'd seen enough to satisfy my curiosity.

-------------

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 10:06 InBlack

Now we know why all those cities from the previews look like your friendly ghost hick town...

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 09:54 Krizzen

"With its one hour time limit ..." *snip*

Beta testing with a time limit? What a joke.

Of course, beta "testing" has been a joke for years now. A time limit just seems absurd. Almost absurd as a single portion of a single act of that one game...

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 09:34 Cutter

We'll see if they're going to get punished for this or not. Diablo 3 got away with it because a lot of people din't realize what they were getting into but they do now so I'm really curious to see how this will pan out. I hope it gets crushed hard. That's the message publishers need to be sent.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 09:28 InBlack

At this point even removing the online requirement and the DRM completely wont win over the anti-DRM crowd....or anyone with eyes and half a brain cell for that matter...  

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2013, 09:16 nin

The SimCity beta wonít help to win over the anti-DRM crowd.

In other news, water is wet...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo