Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2013, 09:58 Machaira

DangerDog wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:17:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:05:
XNA games on windows suck donkey balls, if I see a game using it I pass it over like it's the plague.

That's just stupid, check out Underrail

MooseDrewl
MooseDrewl 18hours 9mins ago said:

This looks very fun! Any chance of a mac version?
+1 vote reply to
StygSoft
StygSoft 3hours 36mins ago replied:

No, sorry. Not possible.

If it uses XNA then that was a dumb decision, game looks like it would be a perfect match for the ipad.
It's quite possible to get XNA games on iDevices. The developer obviously never heard of http://monogame.codeplex.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2013, 09:56 Machaira

< reply button isn't actually a reply button >  

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 19:35 Tom

DirectPlay has been dead and buried for MANY years. DirectSound got killed by the morons who rewrote the audio stack in Vista. As for DirectInput, please tell me what alternate API you suggest using for working with joysticks, throttles, pedals, and anything else that is not an Xbox controller.

Y'know, there used to be cool people working on DirectX at Microsoft, except for the flunkies that did DirectPlay. But all those cool people must've left and been replaced by .... well .... maybe that's what happened to those DirectPlay mofos. *FACEPALM*

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 17:26 swedishfriend

Krizzen wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:50:
Yeah, Direct3D is definitely still around and will be. DirectInput, DirectPlay, and DirectSound are rarely used anymore. Lots of games use SDL, RakNet, and fmod respectively, while still rendering with Direct3D or OpenGL.

Good info! This was exactly what I was wondering about.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 16:02 netnerd85

DangerDog wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:09:
XNA games on windows suck donkey balls, if I see a game using it I pass it over like it's the plague.

If it uses XNA then that was a dumb decision, game looks like it would be a perfect match for the ipad.
Um, No. Try playing it.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 14:50 Krizzen

Yeah, Direct3D is definitely still around and will be. DirectInput, DirectPlay, and DirectSound are rarely used anymore. Lots of games use SDL, RakNet, and fmod respectively, while still rendering with Direct3D or OpenGL.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 14:09 DangerDog

MooseDrewl
MooseDrewl 18hours 9mins ago said:

This looks very fun! Any chance of a mac version?
+1 vote reply to
StygSoft
StygSoft 3hours 36mins ago replied:

No, sorry. Not possible.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 13:56 Beamer

killer_roach wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:50:
Redmask wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:37:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:34:
I call BS on that first article.

I got it in my email last night. I had signed up for a few of the XNA mailing lists, it's definitely real.

As far as I can tell, they're going to mainstream a lot of the underlying XNA and D3D stuff into the Windows/Xbox SDKs. XNA as a development suite, however, seems pretty much dead, which seems baffling considering the fact that they have the muscle needed to make it a usable multiplatform development kit, but that seems to not be their area of interest (tribalism of Microsoft's internal teams at work?).
XNA dying makes perfect sense. Windows Phone 7 demanded XNA. This made porting very difficult, and as a result they didn't get games. Windows Phone could absolutely have handled the Unreal Engine, but Epic wouldn't do it because they didn't want to bother with XNA.

As a whole, developers rejected it and moved on.

So this is a case of Microsoft admitting that forcing their solution is a bad idea and, instead, going forward and embracing the solution people actually want is a good idea. We're seeing it with them embracing HTML5 instead of Silverlight, too.

Microsoft could keep forcing their own standards, but it made them hated and closed them off. Let's actually applaud them moving on for once.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 1, 2013, 13:48 HorrorScope

That article needs a lot more explanation. If say they abandoned DX, all that does is open the door to every other competitor out there. Windows could lose a lot of it's hold.

As a commenter on the section stated, it's funny so many people use MS tools, they always expire and make you update things that don't even need updating and that cost a bundle. You go to competitive solutions, many don't have expiration. What you did 15 years ago, still going strong, no threats etc. Over time to me that wears terribly.

Sadly the company that employs me, still hasn't really figured that one out yet. We are looking at a new tool because of expiration, the old tool still does everything we need it to, and the new tool is a total rewrite of 1000's of customers scripts. This is where management needs to have been a dev and risen from the ranks, otherwise they don't get it enough. And they'll probably pick another MS product with a shelf life, so we do this again in 2020. When you mention this to them "MS is the standard, they dominate..." yeah and it's costing us millions because you don't investigate beyond coffee table reading as you sit in a receptionist area.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 13:17 netnerd85

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 13:16 netnerd85

I got it in my email last night. I had signed up for a few of the XNA mailing lists, it's definitely real.
Well XNA is one thing but DirectX, there are plenty of alternatives to XNA now apparently

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 13:05 DangerDog

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 12:50 killer_roach

As far as I can tell, they're going to mainstream a lot of the underlying XNA and D3D stuff into the Windows/Xbox SDKs. XNA as a development suite, however, seems pretty much dead, which seems baffling considering the fact that they have the muscle needed to make it a usable multiplatform development kit, but that seems to not be their area of interest (tribalism of Microsoft's internal teams at work?).

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 12:37 Redmask

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 11:42 wtf_man

I'm on the same page as Beamer on this one.

DX as a suite is going bye bye, not the 3D tech that is used by games.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 11:09 Creston

We want you to know that Microsoft is FIRMLY committed to the PC platform as a gaming platform! To that end, we've stopped developing DirectX.

Creston

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 10:47 Beamer

Nah.

XNA is definitely dead. Microsoft tried to push it on Windows Phone and lost. Unlike them, they conceded defeat there.

DirectX, as they're mentioning, may be dead as a suite, but Direct2D/3D will live on, perhaps rebranded and part of a new suite (Xbox?), perhaps on their own, perhaps just as part of the OSs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 10:34 netnerd85

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer