Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 14:53 Krizzen

ComboFix is a godsend. Anyone ever used it? It mysteriously fixes some of the WORST malware and viruses. It's saved numerous machines I've worked on from re-formats! Because of that, I'm not surprised someone finally decided to lace it with a virus... =(  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 14:31 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:21:
If the threat of a future dictator is a reason for blocking gun control then it can also be used to justify scaling back the power of the military. The less weapons that future dictator has the safer the people are. Good luck getting that passed.

Well played!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 14:21 NegaDeath

If the threat of a future dictator is a reason for blocking gun control then it can also be used to justify scaling back the power of the military. The less weapons that future dictator has the safer the people are. Good luck getting that passed.  

15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 14:17 Draugr

Japan is known for its love of video games (violent and otherwise.) Yet gun deaths are nearly non existent. That alone is all the cold water that needs to be poured on their assertion.

He takes some pathetic 'think of the children' approach, again this is refuted by acknowledging that violent crimes among youths have been reduced over the last decade (actually more than a decade)
According to their assertions we should see a rise in violent crimes among youths as video games consumption increases, when in fact the opposite seems to be true.

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 14:01 Prez

The argument they used is an exact replica of the one Glen Beck used several years ago as to why videogames are a threat to civil society. And it still remains flawed on the basis that videogames are animated 2D experiences that are separated from the user. The user is not "inside" a videogame, he is watching through a window a scenario from which there is far too little tacticle feedback and external stimulus to be mistaken for being real. Similar military testing has proven this. Combat pilots who train in modern simulators that can perform perfect recovery from countless simulated failures are often unable to perform the same actions in a real plane in a real failure situation. The brain knows the difference between a simulated 2D experience and a real one, and biofeedback response monitoring has proven that the intense body responses that one undergoes in a true life or death situation are simply not there in a simulated one.

In a more relatable scenario, try playing a modern Nascar racing game and then buy yourself a ride in a real one. There is simply no comparison. My friend did this and his response was that before he drove the stock car he actually thought the PC Nascar games were pretty close to real, but once he did he realized it isn't even close. His adrenaline is only mildly elevated during online racing, but in a real stock car his heart was racing, he was soaked through with sweat (on a cool spring day), and his hands were shaking from excitement.

In short, videogames cannot condition you for something the way actually shooting at something can. Respect to the service of the Marine officers, but they are wrong.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 13:44 Beamer

Again, why do people so adamant that we can't restrict guns at all forget that we restrict fully automatic rifles... and that no one thought this was a bad idea!

Hey, nuclear bombs are inanimate objects, too. And they're "arms." We should sell them at gun shows! 2nd Amendment! I have my right to a suitcase nuke! Thomas Jefferson said so!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 13:42 mag

InBlack wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:52:
Exactly. Adding guns into the mix only makes the whole fucking situation more volatile. People keep mentioning how guns are their right, because they will protect them from an opressive government.

WAKE THE FUCK UP? Do you really think that handguns and rifles will protect you from armored APCs, gunship helicopters, micro drones, tanks, and the whole combined might of the US military if push comes to shove???

Alright. I don't want to get lumped in with the people that think the government is currently a fascist regime intent on blah blah blah etc. I do admit that I think it could happen eventually, though. And I do think an armed populace is somewhat of a defense against it.

It's not that a bunch of civilians with AR-15s and 9mm handguns are going to be able to fight the full force of the military. Obviously. But, having an armed opponent does put the military (or whatever force) into a position where they have to fight, and I think it's probably a tougher sell to tell your military/police/whatever "Shoot your neighbors" than it is to say "douse them with teargas and beanbag rounds, disperse the crowd, arrest dissenters."

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 12:42 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:14:
I would think that most US military personnel were some coup or hostile take over take place they wouldn't follow orders, having guns in the hands of citizens who are responsible is an automatic deterrent from that scenario unfolding.

Ok, keep living in gumdrop lollipop land where your walmart purchased weapons make a lick of difference against a military power so advanced you couldn't even memorize the sheer number of ways it could suppress that simpleton notion.

They want you getting mad about guns on the internet, they are robbing you fucking blind while you fight for your rights to something that couldn't possibly matter less. Good job.

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 12:14 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:17:
I'm so tired of this BS. This is what I posted to HuffPo.

Hogwash. You people need to read more history. I'm a historian so that gives me an advantage in this matter. The universe is a violent place, period. Evolution is predicated on killing. Hell, even plants and trees do it. We all grew up with Bugs Bunny and pals. Ho many of you ever dropped an anvil on someone's head or bashed it in with a frying pan?

And prior to that we had books - including the bible which is rife with violence. Prior to books we had oral tradition which told stories about great battles of old and violent heroes. Just take a quick look at the list of battles by casualties on Wikipedia and tell me that somehow we're more violent now than we were then. Fact is, we're a hell of a lot less violent and violent crime has been going down for decades now. But why let the facts stand in the way of sensationalist claims? There isn't one single study that proves video games create violent people. In fact most legitimate studies show the exact opposite to be true. They help people blow off steam in a harmless way. Much like you might imagine shooting your boss. It's one thing to dream about it and another to do it.

If anything is dangerous, it's the culture of pervasive paranoia and the hero-warrior culture being cultivated in America that are the real dangers. And this manufactured consent is done by the military-industrial complex to ensure a stead supply of enemies and profits. Why do these marines never once speak to the fact that soldiers have the duty and obligation to ask if what they're doing is moral. And that being the case how has any American soldier since WWII ever justified his participating in the invasion of other sovereign nations? I don't see any concern for these common place practices that smack of hegemony, not liberty.

There are always going to be crazy people. And there are always going to be angry people who get pushed beyond their breaking point. We all have them and whether you've ever played a video game or not at that point won't make a single iota of difference.

Exactly. Adding guns into the mix only makes the whole fucking situation more volatile. People keep mentioning how guns are their right, because they will protect them from an opressive government.

WAKE THE FUCK UP? Do you really think that handguns and rifles will protect you from armored APCs, gunship helicopters, micro drones, tanks, and the whole combined might of the US military if push comes to shove???

Guns are still an inanimate object though, and the right to bear arms is right there in the 2nd amendment, along with the message that that right shall not be tampered with.

I would think that most US military personnel were some coup or hostile take over take place they wouldn't follow orders, having guns in the hands of citizens who are responsible is an automatic deterrent from that scenario unfolding.

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 11:06 Creston

Hey man, I shoot down gunship helicopters with my 9mm all the time in Half Life!!

Creston

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:52 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:17:

Hogwash. You people need to read more history. I'm a historian so that gives me an advantage in this matter. The universe is a violent place, period. Evolution is predicated on killing. Hell, even plants and trees do it. We all grew up with Bugs Bunny and pals. Ho many of you ever dropped an anvil on someone's head or bashed it in with a frying pan?

And prior to that we had books - including the bible which is rife with violence. Prior to books we had oral tradition which told stories about great battles of old and violent heroes. Just take a quick look at the list of battles by casualties on Wikipedia and tell me that somehow we're more violent now than we were then. Fact is, we're a hell of a lot less violent and violent crime has been going down for decades now. But why let the facts stand in the way of sensationalist claims? There isn't one single study that proves video games create violent people. In fact most legitimate studies show the exact opposite to be true. They help people blow off steam in a harmless way. Much like you might imagine shooting your boss. It's one thing to dream about it and another to do it.

If anything is dangerous, it's the culture of pervasive paranoia and the hero-warrior culture being cultivated in America that are the real dangers. And this manufactured consent is done by the military-industrial complex to ensure a stead supply of enemies and profits. Why do these marines never once speak to the fact that soldiers have the duty and obligation to ask if what they're doing is moral. And that being the case how has any American soldier since WWII ever justified his participating in the invasion of other sovereign nations? I don't see any concern for these common place practices that smack of hegemony, not liberty.

There are always going to be crazy people. And there are always going to be angry people who get pushed beyond their breaking point. We all have them and whether you've ever played a video game or not at that point won't make a single iota of difference.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:49 Beamer

Hey, remember when we banned automatic guns?

Because we did. The NRA didn't even fight it! The black market didn't appear! They're not regularly used in crimes!

-------------

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:17 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:14 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:05:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:53:
Darks wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:18:
No matter what they do, Gun control will never fix this. We are all engrained with killing, this all goes back to Cain killing his brother with a rock. We are all dammed in this way. Someone will always find a tool for the job, whether it be a gun or a knife or axe. Taking away guns will only make them look elsewhere for the weapons, and all this is doing is promoting a black market for weapons.

One needs to look at Chicago as the prime example of why tough gun laws don't do anything to curb crime. When you take the guns away from law abiding citizens the criminals will be the only ones with them, and liberal utopias like Chicago and Detroit are perfect examples.

Stooooooooooooopid.

Your use of "liberal utopia" makes you one of the biggest trolls ever, but people love to talk about Chicago. As if the gun culture of the US magically avoids Chicago because Chicago is harder on guns. As if it's somehow harder to get guns into Chicago when they're perfectly unrestricted an hour's drive away.

And you've already been proven wrong about how Chicago is "the worst gun violence in the country."

People that bring up Chicago as if it's what would happen if the entire country got more restrictive are idiots. But they're the same idiots convinced that the government wants to ban all the guns, as if anyone has ever proposed that.

And you just stated why ridiculously over bearing gun laws don't do jack, the gang bangers and criminals just go a state/county over and get guns anyway. But hey let's pass more gun laws as a knee jerk reaction to a tragic shooting by a mentally ill person.

If you for one moment believe that there could never be a political entity from within the US that would love nothing more than totalitarian control in the US, eliminating the 2nd amendment or crippling it to such a point where it's near impossible to get firearms would be their first step.

People bring up Chicago because it's a corrupt shit hole with some of the toughest gun laws and some of the most crime in the entire country. Just about every place in the US with harsh gun laws has lots of crime. If you think there's no connection there well I have a bridge to sell you real cheap.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:05 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 09:53:
No matter what they do, Gun control will never fix this. We are all engrained with killing, this all goes back to Cain killing his brother with a rock. We are all dammed in this way. Someone will always find a tool for the job, whether it be a gun or a knife or axe. Taking away guns will only make them look elsewhere for the weapons, and all this is doing is promoting a black market for weapons.

One needs to look at Chicago as the prime example of why tough gun laws don't do anything to curb crime. When you take the guns away from law abiding citizens the criminals will be the only ones with them, and liberal utopias like Chicago and Detroit are perfect examples.

Stooooooooooooopid.

Your use of "liberal utopia" makes you one of the biggest trolls ever, but people love to talk about Chicago. As if the gun culture of the US magically avoids Chicago because Chicago is harder on guns. As if it's somehow harder to get guns into Chicago when they're perfectly unrestricted an hour's drive away.

And you've already been proven wrong about how Chicago is "the worst gun violence in the country."

People that bring up Chicago as if it's what would happen if the entire country got more restrictive are idiots. But they're the same idiots convinced that the government wants to ban all the guns, as if anyone has ever proposed that.

-------------

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 10:03 Beamer

While you're right about the black market, I disagree everywhere else. Part of the problem is that we're a gun culture, and that can be broken, and while you're right that killing will still happen it won't happen as often. It's far harder to kill someone with an axe or knife, and far easier to get the hell away from someone that wants to kill you with an axe or knife.

When was the last time a college student went nuts and mowed down his class with a weed whacker?

-------------

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 09:53 RollinThundr

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 09:18 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo