Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Console Grand Theft Auto V in September

Rockstar Games announces a September 17th release date for the console editions of Grand Theft Auto V, apologizing for the delay to the open-world action sequel, and saying: "trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require." No announcement has yet been made about a PC edition of the game, but for reference, a Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV was only first announced a few months after the console editions shipped.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Feb 1, 2013, 21:57 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 15:55:
Of those PC copies, I wonder if Steam is included. Also, I wonder how much money they made off it on PC. I only paid $5 for my copy of GTA4.
Of course they are included. In those big totals they are bragging about for the shareholders, they always include every possible things to include. For instance they include shipped, not sold numbers (at this point they should be mostly the same, since I wouldn't expect most stores to have much extra stock of GTA4). So they are including every possible sale and distribution.

As for money, I dunno. What I do know is that a game like skyrim makes beth about twice as much per digital steam PC copy sold at the $60 price, as compared to a console copy at that price. So numbers that are half as much in number of copies sold for PC tend to mean about twice as much in actual profit as console copies (again, assuming equal pricing).
Once you take that into account, its easy to see why companies usually port to PC, its not unusual to see close to the profit compared to any one other platform.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Feb 1, 2013, 15:55 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 04:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 00:23:
I was spot on when I said GTA4 will sell over 20 million copies - it is probably closer to 25 million now. I can easily see 30 million GTA5 copies being sold across all platforms. Easily.
link
25 mil is correct, as of a couple months ago.

Incidentally if those vgcharts numbers are correct (and for consoles, I have no trouble believing they are fairly decent numbers), that means PC is at 5 mil, half of any other platform. Which is pretty respectable considering how much later it came out, and it was poorly optimized and had a load of crap you had to install to play it, used GfWL, and had securom.

Of those PC copies, I wonder if Steam is included. Also, I wonder how much money they made off it on PC. I only paid $5 for my copy of GTA4.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

50. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Feb 1, 2013, 08:42 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 04:43:
I was spot on when I said GTA4 will sell over 20 million copies - it is probably closer to 25 million now. I can easily see 30 million GTA5 copies being sold across all platforms. Easily.
link

Incidentally if those vgcharts numbers are correct (and for consoles, I have no trouble believing they are fairly decent numbers), that means PC is at 5 mil, half of any other platform. Which is pretty respectable considering how much later it came out, and it was poorly optimized and had a load of crap you had to install to play it, used GfWL, and had securom.

perfect. I should go back through my comments and see if I can find my original post. hehehehe

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

49. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Feb 1, 2013, 04:43 Dev

link

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2013, 04:49.

48. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Feb 1, 2013, 00:23 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 21:05 Dev

Kosumo wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 19:27:
I'd guess GTA5 sells over a Billion dollars worth in the first month. GTA is one of the biggest francises in all entertanment, it competes with the likes of COD games and blockbuster movies.

And unlike COD, they don't milk it has much so I'd expect a lot of bites when it's put out there.
It is indeed a huge franchise with some massive sellers, but BECAUSE they don't milk it as much, money wise the overall franchise its not nearly as big as CoD franchise. Plus they don't go nuts with DLC and map packs, so thats another big chunk of revenue that CoD pulls in for actiblizz.

46. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 19:27 Kosumo

I'd guess GTA5 sells over a Billion dollars worth in the first month. GTA is one of the biggest francises in all entertanment, it competes with the likes of COD games and blockbuster movies.

And unlike COD, they don't milk it has much so I'd expect a lot of bites when it's put out there.

-----

I'm thinking/hoping that the 'delay' till later in the years is so they can nail down better multiplayer - cos that's what COD (on console) has over it. imho.

45. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 19:01 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 18:55:
Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 17:15:
Let's assume the GTA4 VGchartz stats are correct (could be a big assumption, who knows?)

GTA4:
360: 10.11
PS3: 9.59
PC: .74

Well, that PC number is definitely off, but let's also assume that Microsoft would just go for console exclusivity, not total platform exclusivity.
Let's also assume that the 2 add-ons sold a total of 4 million on the PS3. They sold for $20, correct?

So, if we assume all those PS3 copies went for full price (unlikely), as did the add-ons, that would be about $655 million in revenue the PS3 brought in. Some of that goes to retailers, some of that goes elsewhere, etc. And there are development savings.

Still, to make up for the lost PS3 revenue, I would expect them to want at least 400-500 million. On top of that, there would be fewer Xbox sales since fewer people would have the system.
Plus they have their pride. Kind of. That would bump the cost 10%.

Eh. 400-650 million would probably do it.

While we're at it (throwing around wild guesses :p), I'd say you have to consider GTA V selling significantly more copies than IV. Bigger and better sequel, tens of millions more consoles out in the wild, etc.

Dude, everything is wild guesses. It's about drilling down. We're not actually placing money so who cares, haha.

I'd guess GTA5 sells less. Less interest in the consoles now than 2008.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 18:55 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 17:15:
Let's assume the GTA4 VGchartz stats are correct (could be a big assumption, who knows?)

GTA4:

Well, that PC number is definitely off, but let's also assume that Microsoft would just go for console exclusivity, not total platform exclusivity.
Let's also assume that the 2 add-ons sold a total of 4 million on the PS3. They sold for $20, correct?

So, if we assume all those PS3 copies went for full price (unlikely), as did the add-ons, that would be about $655 million in revenue the PS3 brought in. Some of that goes to retailers, some of that goes elsewhere, etc. And there are development savings.

Still, to make up for the lost PS3 revenue, I would expect them to want at least 400-500 million. On top of that, there would be fewer Xbox sales since fewer people would have the system.

While we're at it (throwing around wild guesses :p), I'd say you have to consider GTA V selling significantly more copies than IV. Bigger and better sequel, tens of millions more consoles out in the wild, etc.

43. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 18:28 theyarecomingforyou

As I said, to me the experience that consoles provide is unacceptable. Consoles have: upto 77.5% few pixels than a single-monitor setup or 86% fewer than a multi-monitor 1200p setup; lower resolution textures; half the framerate; no / poor anti-aliasing; longer loading times; limited input devices; no 3D, hardware tessellation or hardware physics, etc. We're not talking about a slight difference here. Even the next-gen consoles won't be able to compete with top-end PCs now.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

42. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 17:15 Beamer

GTA4:

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 17:02 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:26:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:15:
Exactly. MS/Sony would have to pay Rockstar a Titanic boatload of cash to make GTA V a next-gen launch title, to make up for the opportunity cost.

Yup. Being a launch game makes the most sense for a medium caliber title. It's awesome for them, because it gives them some exclusivity and every single person buying that machine is desperate for games. If you're the only FPS at launch then you're guaranteed 2 million sales or so.

But if you're a game that's going to hit 5 million in your sleep, you don't release for a platform that doesn't even have an installed base of 5 million.

If Microsoft paid Rockstar, say, a billion dollars to make GTA5 an Xbox 3 launch exclusive it would probably happen. And it would probably make the Xbox 3 such an immediate winner that Sony would have trouble to get back. But it's not happening.

I agree with your analysis. But I doubt RS's price would be that high. They'd probably sell themselves for a couple hundred mil.

40. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:55 Dev

Meantime, can you port RDR?  

39. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:45 kyleb

Zarkov wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:36:
I actually had plans to buy a console just for that game as well, but seeing it in a store on a PS3 with choppy graphics turned me off in a major way. Still not sure if it was some PAL/NTSC problems or what the heck was happening, silky smooth it was not.
No, both the console versions had crap framerate, and the PS3 version even more so than the 360. I got a kick out of all the bitching about the performance of the PC port, as unless you had a horribly dated rig it was a considerable improvement over the console versions.

38. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:22 jacobvandy

I buy generic cereal... Because I'd rather get 1 1/2 pounds for $3-4 instead of 12 ounces in a fancy box. The minute difference in taste is not worth throwing that much money away.

In any case, that is really a terrible analogy for the console vs. PC debate. If console games were always half price for only slightly worse graphics/controls/etc. because they don't spend more than the cost of production on advertising, I WOULD BE A CONSOLE GAMER. Barring the increased cost of wanting to have the horsepower for all the graphical bells and whistles, PC gaming can actually be cheaper than consoles. With so much competition in digital distribution these days (not to mention the admirable few publishers who still do the $40 and $50 base price point on PC) the same game that costs $60 on a console can cost you $10-30 less.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2013, 16:28.

37. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:17 Kosumo

All sweet ItBurn, no problem, it's all fine ...... YOU ELITIST! Outtahere Suggwink  

36. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:07 ItBurn

Kosumo wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 16:01:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:41:
I never claimed that graphics make a game...

What was this then?

"I am a real gamer, I care about non-shitty controls/resolution/texture resolution/graphics quality/mods/etcetc"

What if the 'real deal' cereal and the 'no-name' cereal are made in the same place with the same stuff in the same way with the only diffence being at the end when they put it in the box?

The diffence between the two is most likely ADVERTISING, which, in your case, is money well spent.

I just meant that graphics aren't just cosmetic sometimes, like in my Zelda example.

But yeah, that doesn't work with my analogy, since the contents in the box are different. Whatever, we disagree and it's fine :p

35. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:03 Verno

Kosumo wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 16:01:
What if the 'real deal' cereal and the 'no-name' cereal are made in the same place with the same stuff in the same way with the only diffence being at the end when the put it in the box?

That's not a fair comparison, one is subjective and the other is objective. For example many multiplatform games have "better" versions depending on the platform in question, even when you're just comparing consoles, let alone adding PC stuff to the mix.

Graphics do matter sometimes too, particularly when you're dealing with an open world game where detail matters for immersion. Maybe they're not a big deal to you or I but they are for some people anyway. Graphics perception and value isn't shallow just because its a convenient argument point.

Anyways hopefully we'll see a PC version at some point and this platform warrior discussion will all be moot

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

34. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 16:01 Kosumo

ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:41:
I never claimed that graphics make a game...

What was this then?

"I am a real gamer, I care about non-shitty controls/resolution/texture resolution/graphics quality/mods/etcetc"

What if the 'real deal' cereal and the 'no-name' cereal are made in the same place with the same stuff in the same way with the only diffence being at the end when they put it in the box?

The diffence between the two is most likely ADVERTISING, which, in your case, is money well spent.

33. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:42 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:15:
Exactly. MS/Sony would have to pay Rockstar a Titanic boatload of cash to make GTA V a next-gen launch title, to make up for the opportunity cost.

IIRC they paid Rockstar $50mil just for one year DLC exclusivity so I guess it's possible although I hope it's not the case.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo