Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Console Grand Theft Auto V in September

Rockstar Games announces a September 17th release date for the console editions of Grand Theft Auto V, apologizing for the delay to the open-world action sequel, and saying: "trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require." No announcement has yet been made about a PC edition of the game, but for reference, a Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV was only first announced a few months after the console editions shipped.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 13:29 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:52:

Unless they gimp two of the characters somehow, I think that would introduce an absolute nightmare for design and testing. :)

Like they create multiple different classes that you can use to play through an RPG? Or how about multiple different factions in Starcraft?

So unless they release it on the PC (or the new consoles are backwardly compatible), I'm going to have to miss out.

Creston

Yeah, I hope they don't pull a Red Dead Redemption with this one.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 13:17 Burrito of Peace

CrimsonPaw wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:43:
...there is some satisfaction that comes from the "it just works" stance of consoles...

Unless you're Sony, with month long network outages and breached security. Or Microsoft, with eponymous RROD on all Xenon based Xbox 360s. Or Nintendo, with the Wiis connection problems at launch.

The only tech that "just works" doesn't exist. The idea of a complex device functioning perfectly, unassisted, endlessly is a myth.

Every computer, whether it be labled a "console" or a "PC", is going to have problems. Some get ironed out with revisions and updates, some are insurmountable design flaws.

The only thing that "just works" is an advertising campaign, which you parroted.

10. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 13:16 nin

Unless they gimp two of the characters somehow, I think that would introduce an absolute nightmare for design and testing.

Yeah, I was just thinking some folks thought 4 was too easy. It was the first one I was able to finish, I'll say that. And if you took one character for a given mission, you might have less obstacles between you and the goal, vs another character might have more.

But they've also outlined missions where you change characters mid mission...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:52 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:38:
Just a thought - what if the 3 characters are how you choose your difficulty for a mission?

Unless they gimp two of the characters somehow, I think that would introduce an absolute nightmare for design and testing.

I really want to play GTA-V, but I refuse to buy it for my PS3 (which already can't play GTA-IV decently), and I sure as hell won't buy a new 360 just for it. (especially not when it'll be a few months before the new consoles come out, apparently.)

So unless they release it on the PC (or the new consoles are backwardly compatible), I'm going to have to miss out.

Creston

8. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 CrimsonPaw

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:28:
Wow, they managed to fuck that up good and proper. The game will be drowned out by all the hype of the next-gen consoles, which will already be out by the time a PC release appears (if it even does). The lack of gameplay footage is just the nail in the coffin.

Then again, those who game on consoles are happy with 720p @ 30fps with shit graphical quality and gamepads... so I'm sure they'll be lining up to buy it. Gaming on console is like listening to all your music on cassette tape... it's fine if that's all you can afford but some of us have higher standards.
Ummmmm, it's GTA - I think the console releases will go hand-in-hand with the hype. As for gameplay footage, I don't think a GTA game since III has come out where they show ANY gameplay outside of 2 or 3 months of release. And while I am a PC gamer, there is some satisfaction that comes from the "it just works" stance of consoles. There's nothing more frustrating that getting a new PC game and finding you have driver issues or need to research a fix for problems you're having. I love the depth of PC gaming, but really like the simplicity of consoles.

~~Crim~~

7. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:38 nin

Just a thought - what if the 3 characters are how you choose your difficulty for a mission?

6. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 theyarecomingforyou

Wow, they managed to fuck that up good and proper. The game will be drowned out by all the hype of the next-gen consoles, which will already be out by the time a PC release appears (if it even does). The lack of gameplay footage is just the nail in the coffin.

Then again, those who game on consoles are happy with 720p @ 30fps with shit graphical quality and gamepads... so I'm sure they'll be lining up to buy it. Gaming on console is like listening to all your music on cassette tape... it's fine if that's all you can afford but some of us have higher standards.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 KTR

R* and a delay...say it ain't so! All part of the status quo.  

4. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 12:02 nin

ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:55:
If it doesn't come out for PC, I'll never play it.

I absolutely want to play it. I loved IV.

And for the guy who always says that GTA 4 sucks. No, it doesn't. You're in the minority :p

I really don't like the idea of controlling three characters though. I suspect it'll affect, negatively, immersion and character progression.

I haven't fired up my xbox in months, and if it croaks, I have no problems buying a new one. I want this game THAT bad...

You bring up a good point about the character swapping. It could come down to how required it is to complete the game. Do you have to do it, or could you pick a single character at the beginning and play the entire game with them?

Either way, I'm counting the days...

3. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 11:59 Wildone

AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH  

2. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 ItBurn

If it doesn't come out for PC, I'll never play it.

I absolutely want to play it. I loved IV.

And for the guy who always says that GTA 4 sucks. No, it doesn't. You're in the minority :p

I really don't like the idea of controlling three characters though. I suspect it'll affect, negatively, immersion and character progression.

1. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 11:44 nin

VACATION IS SET! MMMMIIIIINNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! OHHHHH YEAAAAAA!

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo