Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Console Grand Theft Auto V in September

Rockstar Games announces a September 17th release date for the console editions of Grand Theft Auto V, apologizing for the delay to the open-world action sequel, and saying: "trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require." No announcement has yet been made about a PC edition of the game, but for reference, a Windows version of Grand Theft Auto IV was only first announced a few months after the console editions shipped.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:41 ItBurn

Kosumo wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:24:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:37:
It's not being elitist. Games on PC are almost always of much higher quality. I want to put my money on higher quality products, so I get more of them. I personally never understood why people accept low resolutions, shitty textures and horrible aiming on consoles. I find this MUCH worse as a gamer and also as someone who cares about the future of gaming and general progression...

I beg to differ with you as to weather you are an elitist - 80% of what you just wrote is elitist.

Good game is a good game be it with low resolutions, shitty textures and horrible console control or not.

A gamer likes games - not shiney graphics and uber frame rates (which are nice, but don't always make amazing games.

I never claimed that graphics make a game...

Having shitty textures does prevent you from seeing what is what and it also is bad for immersion. I stopped playing Zelda Twilight Princess because there was a puzzle that I couldn't figure out because of the low resolution. Turns out I had to use an object on two red pixels who turned out to be a bird. There was no way of knowing, and it would have been obvious which item to use if I saw the bird.

Mouse controls to aim is also a major factor that has nothing to do with graphics. Why in the hell aim with a gamepad when it's just so much better, faster and more natural with a mouse.

I just gave a few quick examples. You can add mods to the list. But anyway, why would wanting to play the better version of a game be elitism? You know, you can buy the cheap no-name cereal brand. It'll look the same as the real deal, but if you'd taste both of them, the no name one would taste worse. Are you an elitist if you prefer to buy the real thing?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:26 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:15:
Exactly. MS/Sony would have to pay Rockstar a Titanic boatload of cash to make GTA V a next-gen launch title, to make up for the opportunity cost.

Yup. Being a launch game makes the most sense for a medium caliber title. It's awesome for them, because it gives them some exclusivity and every single person buying that machine is desperate for games. If you're the only FPS at launch then you're guaranteed 2 million sales or so.

But if you're a game that's going to hit 5 million in your sleep, you don't release for a platform that doesn't even have an installed base of 5 million.

If Microsoft paid Rockstar, say, a billion dollars to make GTA5 an Xbox 3 launch exclusive it would probably happen. And it would probably make the Xbox 3 such an immediate winner that Sony would have trouble to get back. But it's not happening.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:24 Kosumo

ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:37:
It's not being elitist. Games on PC are almost always of much higher quality. I want to put my money on higher quality products, so I get more of them. I personally never understood why people accept low resolutions, shitty textures and horrible aiming on consoles. I find this MUCH worse as a gamer and also as someone who cares about the future of gaming and general progression...

I beg to differ with you as to weather you are an elitist - 80% of what you just wrote is elitist.

Good game is a good game be it with low resolutions, shitty textures and horrible console control or not.

A gamer likes games - not shiney graphics and uber frame rates (which are nice, but don't always make amazing games.

29. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:19 Optional nickname

McSterls wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:49:
September Release? Could this be a Next Gen launch title?

I hope so, I mean, what else is going to be made avail for the new PS4, some Japanese rpg and 3 other games no one wants? I hope this makes it to the PS4.

28. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 15:15 jacobvandy

Exactly. MS/Sony would have to pay Rockstar a Titanic boatload of cash to make GTA V a next-gen launch title, to make up for the opportunity cost.  

27. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:57 Creston

McSterls wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:49:

I was thinking that as soon as the new consoles were said to be coming out this year. "Why didn't Rockstar wait for the new systems?"

My guess is that they either didn't know, or were already too far along in development to want to change it.

Of course, the current consoles have an installed client base of 150+ million users, and the new consoles might have a few million at most at first, so it could just be simple economics.

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:50:
You're all going to play it and you know it. You really don't have any choice in the matter.

Not if it only comes out for the 360 and PS3. Some people can actually just, you know, ignore a particular game.

Creston

26. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:50 Cutter

You're all going to play it and you know it. You really don't have any choice in the matter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:49 McSterls

24. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:47 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:33:

This, primarily a PC gamer, except for sports titles which I'd rather play with a gamepad anyway and a few console exclusives. I'm a gamer I enjoy playing games. Never did understand the whole elitist attitude of most pc gamers that would refuse to play a great game just because it isn't on PC.

Maybe they just don't want to buy a whole other platform to play one game? I know this gen coming up I might not even get a console at all since looking back, there were few exclusives worth the cost of owning three different ones.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

23. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:37 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:24:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:19:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:07:
WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am a gamer, I don't care what platform it is on. I bought an xbox just for GTA4.

I am a real gamer, I care about non-shitty controls/resolution/texture resolution/graphics quality/mods/etcetc :p Why play a lesser version of a game when you can play a better one. When you're a "gamer" I mean.

But, with GTA5, there's only one version, so...

All other GTAs came to PC, so this one will too (probably).

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:33:
This, primarily a PC gamer, except for sports titles which I'd rather play with a gamepad anyway and a few console exclusives. I'm a gamer I enjoy playing games. Never did understand the whole elitist attitude of most pc gamers that would refuse to play a great game just because it isn't on PC.

22. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:36 Zarkov

I bought an xbox just for GTA4.
I actually had plans to buy a console just for that game as well, but seeing it in a store on a PS3 with choppy graphics turned me off in a major way. Still not sure if it was some PAL/NTSC problems or what the heck was happening, silky smooth it was not.

It's a bit concerning that it's still the same old consoles this time around.

I can still remember the light nausea caused by driving motorcycles through alleys in San Andreas on a PS2 with about 15 FPS...

21. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:33 RollinThundr

CrimsonPaw wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:28:
Wow, they managed to fuck that up good and proper. The game will be drowned out by all the hype of the next-gen consoles, which will already be out by the time a PC release appears (if it even does). The lack of gameplay footage is just the nail in the coffin.

Then again, those who game on consoles are happy with 720p @ 30fps with shit graphical quality and gamepads... so I'm sure they'll be lining up to buy it. Gaming on console is like listening to all your music on cassette tape... it's fine if that's all you can afford but some of us have higher standards.
Ummmmm, it's GTA - I think the console releases will go hand-in-hand with the hype. As for gameplay footage, I don't think a GTA game since III has come out where they show ANY gameplay outside of 2 or 3 months of release. And while I am a PC gamer, there is some satisfaction that comes from the "it just works" stance of consoles. There's nothing more frustrating that getting a new PC game and finding you have driver issues or need to research a fix for problems you're having. I love the depth of PC gaming, but really like the simplicity of consoles.

20. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:24 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:19:
WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am a gamer, I don't care what platform it is on. I bought an xbox just for GTA4.

I am a real gamer, I care about non-shitty controls/resolution/texture resolution/graphics quality/mods/etcetc :p Why play a lesser version of a game when you can play a better one. When you're a "gamer" I mean.

But, with GTA5, there's only one version, so...

-------------

19. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:19 ItBurn

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

18. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:12 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:03:
I can't think of a way to differentiate 3 guys in a game like this, because the actual gameplay isn't so much deep as vast.

Would one guy be super fast and take less damage, one guy be super slow but take enormous damage, and one guy be the middle?

That's about all you can do. These games are too broad to properly incorporate stealth, and melee/hand-to-hand isn't as much fun when everything is about gun or vehicle combat, etc.

I doubt they'll play any differently from one another. They'll just do the same thing they did with Nico vs the guys from the DLC. Same movement, completely different guys because of voice-acting and lines etc.

Creston

17. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:07 xXBatmanXx

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:03 Beamer

I can't think of a way to differentiate 3 guys in a game like this, because the actual gameplay isn't so much deep as vast.

Would one guy be super fast and take less damage, one guy be super slow but take enormous damage, and one guy be the middle?

That's about all you can do. These games are too broad to properly incorporate stealth, and melee/hand-to-hand isn't as much fun when everything is about gun or vehicle combat, etc.

-------------

15. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:02 nin

Zarkov wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:01:
nin wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 13:16:
Yeah, I was just thinking some folks thought 4 was too easy. It was the first one I was able to finish, I'll say that.

Well, here's hoping they stick to somewhat easier missions than the nightmares of the earlier games.

Otherwise, with all the random stuff going on, we're back to repeating frustrating stuff tirelessly with zero mistakes until you get the blessing of the RNG to proceed.

I agree. I loved both 3 and VC, but on both I would get to a point where I couldn't continue...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 14:01 Zarkov

Yeah, I was just thinking some folks thought 4 was too easy. It was the first one I was able to finish, I'll say that.

Well, here's hoping they stick to somewhat easier missions than the nightmares of the earlier games.

Otherwise, with all the random stuff going on, we're back to repeating frustrating stuff tirelessly with zero mistakes until you get the blessing of the RNG to proceed.

13. Re: Console Grand Theft Auto V in September Jan 31, 2013, 13:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 13:29:
Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:52:

Unless they gimp two of the characters somehow, I think that would introduce an absolute nightmare for design and testing. :)

Like they create multiple different classes that you can use to play through an RPG? Or how about multiple different factions in Starcraft?

The factions in Star Craft all have their own missions, so you can't bring one of them to another's missions. However, your RPG point is very valid. I'm not sure how well it would translate to a more fluid game like a GTA, though. An RPG is balanced by its numbers behind the screen, and I don't think GTA does any of that kind of stuff. But you're right, it should be possible.

Unless they gimp two of the characters somehow, I think that would introduce an absolute nightmare for design and testing.

Yeah, I was just thinking some folks thought 4 was too easy. It was the first one I was able to finish, I'll say that. And if you took one character for a given mission, you might have less obstacles between you and the goal, vs another character might have more.

But they've also outlined missions where you change characters mid mission...

I've finished all of the GTAs (well, since III, anyway), but I agree that 4 was perhaps a tad too easy at times. (though there were some really aggravating missions.)

I think a lot of it came from the handholding and the more obvious objectives though. There were some missions in 3, and Vice City, where you were just scratching your head just trying to figure out what the hell to do.

We'll see, I guess. So far the 3 character thing strikes me as something that would make it less enjoyable rather than more. They always wrote excellent lead characters, and I'm not sure that having to share time with two others will help in that aspect. (unless we get 3 excellent lead characters, of course. )

Creston

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo