Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft

Hollywood Reporter has news that Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)will direct the upcoming movie based on Warcraft, Blizzard's fantasy universe. Word is the former Zowie Bowie, son of musician David Bowie, will helm the project, which is currently planned for a 2015 release, and is referred to in the article as a tent pole film. Thanks nin.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Feb 1, 2013, 08:19 InBlack

One other reason why no one would redo Dune. The main villain is homosexual. People would stone the director in hollywood for that blasphemy alone...  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 10:03:
While we are on the subject of movies and all the remakes (re)imaginings that are being done today, I think someone should have another crack at Dune.

Lynch's Dune was such a craptastic movie that no one is willing to touch that project with a ten foot pole.

Visually Lynch's Dune was fantastic aside from a few things here and there. The acting was anywhere from solid to tolerable, and I always felt the film captured the world of Dune and managed to butcher the story. I know that originally Lynch wanted a story far closer to the book but the studio over-rode him and wanted the happier ending (rain on Arrakis), and that he wanted the first book to be a full trilogy instead of a 2 hour film. When that didn't work, he asked for 3-4 hours and they told him to kiss off.

He did the best with what he could I think, and managed a lot of visually interesting moments.

Compare that to the more story-accurate high school play atrocity that was the Sci-Fi miniseries abortion... With felt clothing, absurd costume design, horrific acting, terrible casting (Eastern Bloc Fremen FTW!), and set design and lighting that was an abomination (seriously... wrinkled back drops with sand piled up on the bottom, with the back drop painted in blues but the set lit in green... that reflected off of the back drop...), the miniseries *almost* ruined my love of the story and it was years before I felt like revisiting it.

Any remake of Dune would have to tread very carefully and devote itself to some serious world-building while still being true to the story.

18. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 17:20 nin

killer_roach wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 17:08:
Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:51:
InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:47:
Zowie Bowie...no wonder he changed his name. I really dig and respect his dad's music, but giving your kid a name like that is stupid as fuck...

Since his dad called himself "Ziggy Stardust" for awhile, I think Zowie was glad he got called Zowie, rather than "SnortBubbles" or something.

Creston

Even still, he changed his name to use his dad's birth surname. Obviously he wasn't that bothered by the association with his father.

It could be, like Nicolas Coppola (as seen in Fast Times at Ridgemont High), he felt a name change would allow him to earn his success, and not be due to his last name.

That, or David Jones real name is still David Jones (and not Bowie, which he used as a stage name) and any children born to him retained that last name.

At any rate, I'm getting a Bowie album and his son is doing a Warcrack movie, so everythings coming up roses for me!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 17:08 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:51:
Zowie Bowie...no wonder he changed his name. I really dig and respect his dad's music, but giving your kid a name like that is stupid as fuck...

Since his dad called himself "Ziggy Stardust" for awhile, I think Zowie was glad he got called Zowie, rather than "SnortBubbles" or something.

Creston

Even still, he changed his name to use his dad's birth surname. Obviously he wasn't that bothered by the association with his father.

16. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 16:25 Draugr

While we are on the subject of movies and all the remakes (re)imaginings that are being done today, I think someone should have another crack at Dune.

Lynch's Dune was such a craptastic movie that no one is willing to touch that project with a ten foot pole.

But a Dune trilogy (what Jackson did with LOTR and the Hobbit) would done right....man Im getting shivers just thinking about it.

Fuck Star Wars, Warcraft and the rest of that trash, Dune baby, DUNE!

False HBO should do a series! Not original crap, just follow the books (similar to GoT, at least season 1.)

I was not a fan of the sci-fi mini series, though it's certainly a better adaptation than the hollywood film. Children of dune was also just bad.

I was also a fan of Lynch's Dune, though I could easily see why people aren't.
It's also intriguing to see the artwork HR geiger produced for the project when he was tied to it.

15. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 14:58 Cutter

"Mmmmmm...Shai Hulud."

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 14:51 Creston

Creston

13. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 14:03 jdreyer

DG wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 13:00:
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Moon was excellent.

I agree. Don't even watch the trailers, if you haven't. They give too much away. Just rent it. It's truly, truly amazing.

This news has me stoked. Duncan has a couple of good movies under his belt, and he gets good performances out of his actors. This has the potential to be a gameworld based movie that doesn't suck.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 13:00 DG

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Moon was excellent.  

11. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 12:52 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:09:
They already remade Dune. It was a well received mini-series that even managed to spawn another mini-series based on "Children of Dune". Happened like 12 years ago.

I'm pretty sure I read there was another more recent movie version in the early stages of production as well, although Paramount's rights expired for it before it was made. I doubt it's the last time someone tries, in any event.

10. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 Hyatus

Did anyone else read that as Zombie Bowie?  

9. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 El Pit

Hm... Bad Karma Obama... Yeah, that WORKS!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

8. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 11:19 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:09:
I think all parents should give their kids weird names. It either encourages them to live up to the weirdness or pick a name that better suits them later in life.

It tends to work best when there's a trust fund involved.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 11:18 nin

His dad was probably high most of the time.

Peppers, coke, and milk.

6. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 11:09 Panickd

It was the 70's. His dad was probably high most of the time. Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa have weirder names and neither of them bothered to change them (Dweezil Zappa even changed his name to Dweezil after finding out that's the legal name his father wanted to give him). I think all parents should give their kids weird names. It either encourages them to live up to the weirdness or pick a name that better suits them later in life.

They already remade Dune. It was a well received mini-series that even managed to spawn another mini-series based on "Children of Dune". Happened like 12 years ago.

5. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 InBlack

But a Dune trilogy (what Jackson did with LOTR and the Hobbit) would done right....man Im getting shivers just thinking about it.

Fuck Star Wars, Warcraft and the rest of that trash, Dune baby, DUNE!

4. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 09:47 InBlack

3. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 09:40 Beamer

I was so confused by this, wondering why it said there were two directors...

I had no clue Duncan Jones was David Bowie's kid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 09:38 nin

Hopefully it'll get off the ground this time. He's a good choice. Also, Moon depressed the fuck out of me...

1. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 Panickd

Good news. Love his work.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo