Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 18:55 DangerDog

Google Android devices are the Steam Box's biggest threat.

You've got those usb android based stick computers that inexpensive ouya console, but once most people hook up a Roku or Western Digital TV device for streaming they won't be looking for alternatives.

Apple will be too expensive and Microsoft will bungle it like they always do.

Valve doesn't stand a chance because a) it's a brand that average person isn't familiar with and b) even if they managed to get it into retail stores there wont be anyone qualified in selling the device.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 31, 2013, 18:02 HorrorScope

Face it, he has to answer Apple, because that is what they do. Give you an answer you wouldn't think of, because well... they are smarter then you and everyone else. You think the obvious, they think the sneaky clever.

I've heard a UPS person state Fedex isn't their biggest threat. Amazon is, which is rubbish. Amazon while big, alone they are still small enough in whole not the move the needle as much as Fedex and all the other shippers combined in all fields can.

13. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 16:31 Krizzen

Considering Valve's release cycle for, well... anything, the Steambox's biggest threat is Valve themselves.  

12. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 14:14 yuastnav

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:23:
[...] Maybe 20-30. [...]

There are a lot more than that.

[...] One reason why developers haven't written games for Linux is that is can be very difficult to support, because it has so many variants. [...]

Uhm, what?
I see everyone saying/reiterating that same thing but it's simply not that easy. Most derivatives are more or less similar so I don't see where the big problem is as long as you can port it properly (which is not as straightforward since DirectX has apis for video, audio, input devices etc. while it is not unified in Linux).

11. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 13:23 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:41:
Microsoft wants EVERYTHING for Windows to ONLY be sold through their own store, exactly like Apple does.

No chance that's what they want.

None.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 13:16 2nd_floor

The annoyances of Steam is what I mean, what you mention and others. Not indicating on the list of games (left side) the version number of the games. Not being able to select the install source.

Yes, we've gone back to the days of the consoles in the 90s. But today this is only possible because the companies behind them can lose so much money with them and still produce them. Technology grows much faster than it did in the 90s (I would think anyway), but the consoles do not correlate with advances in hardware compared to what the PCs do, or the rate that PCs do, and so yes the games we get are lame ports of console versions after 4 years maybe.

Although when the X360 came out (2005?) (and I'm not sure about the PS3), it's CPU from IBM I think was quite a bit better than what was on PC at the time. 3GHz 3 cores each capable of handling 2 threads at the same time. And I think the PC reached this point in 2008/2009 maybe.

I didn't know that consoles have made gaming the #1 entertainment industry, more than adult entertainment? Yes, they do appeal to more people than PCs.

9. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:47 Creston

OK, cool.
You're right Valve/Steam does not force developers to use it, but they do force their ways on users, the way they want us to manage games.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Steam's a GUI that obviously forces you to work within its confines, but that's true for every application out there. I'd much rather not use the fucking Ribbon in Office, but since it's there, I have to use it. I'm not sure that really falls under controlling/forcing.

The only thing I wish Steam would allow you to do (beyond install to separate folders if you want to) is to stay on a previous patch. I understand Valve's point of view from it (it's a logistical support nightmare), but like in the case of Skyrim where an early patch badly broke things and people wanted to revert to an earlier patch, and Steam of course does not allow you to. Even worse, Steam forced you to update before it would let you play. That's a shitty thing (and despite Steam saying they've fixed it, it still happens. I didn't want the last Borderlands 2 patch, but I couldn't play until I'd updated...)

I hope to see consoles die off and the PC rise again, but that may be a joke. I think the console model has really taken a bite out of PC gaming.

Consoles will never die, as they've been around longer than PCs, really. And consoles are a mixed bag, anyway. They've certainly been an inhibition on PC games, especially now, where the power of our PCs is ignored by games because they need to run on the decrepit hardware of the consoles, and of course for awhile we've been getting nothing but shitty straight port after shitty straight port.

On the flipsides, consoles have expanded the gaming market and audience to the point where it is now the #1 entertainment industry, and with that have come some benefits. Most notably, vastly improved production values for games. This may not be to everyone's liking, and it certainly isn't necessary for every game, but a game like GTA, or RDR, or Skyrim, wouldn't have existed in the mid 90s because there was not enough market to support it. (obviously leaving the hardware angle out of it.)

Creston

8. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:43 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:00:
Except for the fact that Microsoft and Apple dont sell everything through their stores....

No, but they want to. And in the case of Apple, the amount of sales that doesn't go through their stores is so small it's probably negligible.

Creston

Right, but until that happens neither are a closed system. Their phones are a different story of course.

7. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 12:00:
Except for the fact that Microsoft and Apple dont sell everything through their stores....

No, but they want to. And in the case of Apple, the amount of sales that doesn't go through their stores is so small it's probably negligible.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 2nd_floor

OK, cool.

It is a bit funny comparing Steam to Windows 8, true, but I think I mean that Steam is controlling of how we manage our games: install them, patch them, run them.

You're right Valve/Steam does not force developers to use it, but they do force their ways on users, the way they want us to manage games. It's controlling more than closed, so you're right. I guess I'm frustrated with the problems Steam can cause. But then again you could say the same thing with Microsoft, that if you don't like the way they do certain features and requirements in Windows, that's also frustrating.

Having said that last thing about Microsoft, I do find Steam brings more frustrations to gaming than is necessary. I could scream at some of the annoyances and controlling ways in Steam, everybody can. It can be very limiting to how we manage games and what we can do with them.

I hope to see consoles die off and the PC rise again, but that may be a joke. I think the console idea of the same hardware for every unit has really taken a bite out of PC gaming. I also like the keyboard and mouse for gaming rather than a controller.

I think right now the problem for a Steam box running on Linux/Unix is that the are still very very few games for Linux/Unix. Maybe 20-30. One reason why developers haven't written games for Linux is that is can be very difficult to support, because it has so many variants. (Also obviously because it has such a small market share of gamers). A Steambox may solve this, but if it runs Linux/Unix (not the Android variant of Linux/Unix), it needs more games to reach a wider audience.

Gabe Newell says we will be able to install Windows to the Steambox if we want to, for the selection of games I guess? But that means we have to buy a copy of Windows. Which seems that they just want to get their name into the living room. A good idea I guess. The only thing they are selling right now though is Steam on PC hardware, for the living room, with very few games for Linux anyways.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2013, 12:45.

5. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 netnerd85

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:25:
I wouldn't even associate Apple with gaming (or the living room). I have never seen a commercial for Apple TV (is it popular?), or anything Apple in the living room. I guess some people do, interesting. Maybe casual gaming on iPhone and iPad, but for serious/hardcore gamers, X360, PS3, Windows on PC are the big ones, no? X360 Kinect did really well for Microsoft in the living room, it was huge in fact I think! What does Apple have that will compete in the living room right now? Any rumors? How many games on Steam are available for Mac? Macs have never been knowing for gaming, but rather graphic editing.
Agreed. I own 0, ZERO Apple products.

I have read that consoles may be on the way out, they are not profitable.
Not on the way out. Nintendo won't be going away any time soon. The others have been in the red for far too long though.

Valve have enjoyed incredibly, their own very much closed system of Steam for years now...
Indeed. It's the worst form of DRM around today.

4. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 dj LiTh

3. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 Creston

Apple has overall been on a decline recently, I don't know exactly how many months now (6+ maybe), it was just in the newspaper and news, that they are seemingly not doing so well anymore.

It's just investor bullshit. Apple's growth is slowing because it is simply impossible for a company that large to keep growing 30% year over year. And once the growth stops, the investors bail, causing the stock to drop.

That said, Apple has never been big on games beyond the phone/casual space, and I'm not sure why Gabe suddenly sees Apple becoming this big player in the game industry.

Valve have enjoyed incredibly, their own very much closed system of Steam for years now, and only when they feel threatened by Microsoft's closed system in Windows 8 do they complain about somebody else's closed system. Now they know what it's like when somebody tries to control how you do things!

There's quite a difference between Steam's "closed" system and Microsoft's closed system. You have plenty of alternatives to Steam. That most/all of them suck is not Valve's fault.

Microsoft wants EVERYTHING for Windows to ONLY be sold through their own store, exactly like Apple does.

Comparing the two is like comparing oranges to a drillbit. :p

Creston

2. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 2nd_floor

Doesn't Android outsell iPhone/iOS right now, and has maybe ever since it was released? Apple has overall been on a decline recently, I don't know exactly how many months now (6+ maybe), it was just in the newspaper and news, that they are seemingly not doing so well anymore. And there are now two Android consoles under development. But can Android really run the games that X360, PS3 and PC can run? I guess it's the hardware that is important.

I wouldn't even associate Apple with gaming (or the living room). I have never seen a commercial for Apple TV (is it popular?), or anything Apple in the living room. I guess some people do, interesting. Maybe casual gaming on iPhone and iPad, but for serious/hardcore gamers, X360, PS3, Windows on PC are the big ones, no? X360 Kinect did really well for Microsoft in the living room, it was huge in fact I think! What does Apple have that will compete in the living room right now? Any rumors? How many games on Steam are available for Mac? Macs have never been knowing for gaming, but rather graphic editing.

I have read that consoles may be on the way out, they are not profitable. Microsoft has lost $3 billion getting XBox and XBox360 into the market, and Sony has lost $5 billion. I think this means that losses are greater then profit, and so at the end of the day, consoles require billions of dollars from the companies' other products' profit! Is this really going to continue? Is Valve prepared to lose this kind of money? It is not nearly as big as Sony or Microsoft!

"Open source Steam", haha, that's a good one! From a company that has never touched open source, now they are suddenly promoting it and regard it highly when they see financial/market gain in it. Valve have enjoyed incredibly, their own very much closed system of Steam for years now, and only when they feel threatened by Microsoft's closed system in Windows 8 do they complain about somebody else's closed system. Now they know what it's like when somebody tries to control how you do things! But Blizzard does it too, I thinks it's funny that Valve complained about Microsoft when they felt threatened, when they themselves are very much closed and happy about it.

1. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 31, 2013, 09:32 InBlack

And Microsoft will folow Apple's lead, just like they are doing with Win8, Windows store, etc...

Makes sense...

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo