Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The weather here is unseasonably warm, which seems to be because we are caught between a couple of reports, because the wind is insane out there, and there is a wind advisory in the area through this evening, calling for gusts up to 50 mph. I didn't need to read the weather to know this, though, as the wind almost threw open the storm door when I let the pooches out this morning, which came after I cleaned up the tidy pile of poop in the kitchen that was apparently caused by weather related panic last night. That panic continued, as Hudson the wonder dog proceeded to escape the yard (she remains the Houdini of dogs) attempting to find shelter from the uproar, which of course was in the house. I'm already over our wind-related adventures, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't cause any trees to knock over any of the overhead wiring for the BlueTower's power or Internet.

Windy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Spin Spin: Episode 1.
Links: A hooked marlin sinks a fishing boat: Well, something like that. Thanks Cutter.
Stories: Powerful storms flip cars, decimate homes; 2 dead.
Cabaret reunion. Wtf happened to Michael York? Update: Apparently he's terribly ill? :(
Backyard chicken bans causing a stir in local cities.
Science: NASA: Feb. 15 asteroid fly-by will buzz Earth closer than many satellites.
Images: Ashton Kutcher’s Steve Jobs lookalike photo offers promotional distraction.
Media: Homeland RPG.
Paperman - Full Animated Short Film. Thanks nin.
Full Moon Silhouettes. Thanks Hoop.
High School Streaker Gets Away. The perfect crime.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:49:
Edit : I just realized you meant like people over the internet giving you a job to do?

Yeah, I think they used to call them virtual airlines.

I have no clue if that's going on. I'm not really sure I want to hang out with people like that anyway.

creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 11:49 nin

Edit : I just realized you meant like people over the internet giving you a job to do?

Yeah, I think they used to call them virtual airlines.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 11:17 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 08:51:
So Creston, does the trucking community have virtual job/guilds, like some of the hardcore flight sims do (where you actually sign in, accept a job, and then run it in real time)?

It's not really real time, because the distance is greatly reduced. It takes about two hours of real time driving to drive from one edge of the map to the other.

But you do accept job offers (and they expire if you don't pick them up in time, which can make for some fun shenanigans if you're trying to get to that 90K value cargo in time and you have 30 game minutes left and you're 60km away...) and they do have a fairly restrictive time limit in place to get them done. (I have no idea what happens if you go over the allotted time, I imagine you get a late delivery penalty.)

I used to just run jobs from one city to another, then pick up another job straight in that city, but I've since learned that sometimes a city that's an hour away will have a far more lucrative job on offer, so now I scour around for better deals, and I'll become like the Trucker From Hell to get to it on time. Red lights? Speed limits? Fuck that noise. I'm on my way to a 95K'er, fellas!

It's also quite fun to drive my Scania 130+kph on an 80kph country road and swerving through traffic.

Edit : I just realized you meant like people over the internet giving you a job to do? I have no idea. I doubt it, to be honest. It'd be one thing for them to say "Take something from Brno to Aberdeen", but if the game then doesn't have something to take from Brno to Aberdeen you can't really drive that route with a cargo. And driving without a cargo makes it way too easy.

Also, the times, as long as they still are, are really too short. Those hardcore flight sim guys will sit there and "play" for like 12 hours straight. (of course, once they're in the air, it's just sit there and watch the plane fly itself. With ETS you really have to work at keeping your truck in your lane. It's very easy to drift into that little grandma in the right-hand lane if you don't pay attention.)

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 08:51 nin

So Creston, does the trucking community have virtual job/guilds, like some of the hardcore flight sims do (where you actually sign in, accept a job, and then run it in real time)?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 01:23 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 18:16:
Show us some shots of your rig in ETS2.

In case you were serious: There she is. Me Scania!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124235884
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124235902
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124235867

Custom Tron skin by some dude from ETSmods. He's released a ton of Scania skins, and I rotate between them every once in awhile.

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 20:45 sauron

Marlin can go to 1500 lbs - although black marlin are not quite as big. Can see that kind of thing going south pretty easily.

Biggest thing I've ever hooked is tuna once or twice out on boats. Always feels like I'm trying to reel in a Nascar, never managed to land one. Trying to bring in a marlin must be like trying to get a Saturn V back down to earth.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 20:37 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 16:54:
You and me both. Her and Sylvia Kristel always made me go rowr!
Interesting, they were 3 months apart in age. Unfortunately Sylvia died this past October at age 60. Jenny was in "The Avengers" !!! I missed that. I'm sure it must be a bit role as a "council member" -- might have to rewatch the film just for that. Well, ok -- I could probably go for watching it for other reasons too...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 19:04 Jivaro

49ers by 1 point.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 18:41 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 18:22:
Even though it was a straight shot out the blasters must have proximity sensors or whatever, but the blaster bomb went off inside the Avenger, taking out my entire team.

Hysterical.

Hehehe, I remember those fucking blaster bombs. Pieces of shit.

Creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 18:40 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 18:16:

My Tron rig? I'll have to do that from home. But it's fucking PIMPIN!

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 18:22 Beamer

I own XCOM!

Oh man, I forgot! I need to play it. And Dishonored. Holy crap when will I do this?

I still love telling stories about the original, though the best were when I didn't know how to play. I still remember the time, in the darkness, that every guy stepping out of the Avenger died immediately. Either he was interrupted and killed or he'd walk out, take a few steps, run out of action points and die. So I took my remaining guys and pushed them to the side so that there was a corridor I could launch a missile out of (the guy holding the blaster was all the way in the back.) I put some waypoints down to circle where the shots were coming from and let it rip.

Boom.

Even though it was a straight shot out the blasters must have proximity sensors or whatever, but the blaster bomb went off inside the Avenger, taking out my entire team.

Hysterical.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 18:16 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. XCOOOOOOOMMM!!!! Jan 31, 2013, 17:35 Creston

Holy mother of God... I think Xcom was getting tired of me kicking its ass, so it set the record straight.

Mission: A landed abductor.
Squad: 2 sniper colonels, 1 assault colonel, 1 support colonel, 1 heavy colonel, 1 support sergeant (I was trying to level her.)

I start right outside the ship, and other than one three-wide row of half cover, there's nothing else, other than the entrance sides. Move my whole squad to the side, end turn. Next turn, I move one guy to the three-wide row.

*2 outsiders spawn on the balcony to the right.*

Since they are in cover, my shots suck, so I get three guys out to the three-wide row, pop smoke and hunker down. I figure once the aliens have wasted their shot and hopefully missed, I can run&gun over there and take care of the most heavily entrenched one. This goes as planned. However...

*2 Elite Mutons spawn at the far end of the entrance.*
*2 Mutons and 1 Berserker spawn behind the far door*

I'm not sure either of these was a teleport, but it's possible.

Both sets of Mutons walk in close and take cover, while the Berserker, obviously runs straight for me. Since I'm still stuck, I pop my last smoke grenade, take out the Berserker, and manage to do damage to one of the Mutons. One of their shots hits my support sergeant but fortunately only does 4 damage. I think I'm okay.

Then the shit hits.

*3 Cryssalids teleport/spawn at the end of the entrance hallway* They run straight for me.
*1 Cyberdisc and 3 drones teleport at the side of the entrance hallway* and sit there waiting for their turn to fuck me over.
*1 Sectopod teleports at the end of the hallway and sits there waiting for its chance to fuck me over.*

So now I have 14(!) targets, several of them in my face, others in high entrenched cover, AND my squad is already down to 1 shot or reloading because of the previous two turns. And my backup are straight pistols because I never bothered to bring anything else except two laser pistols for my snipers.

Cry

Oh Classic XCOM. How you hate me.

I did make it out of there, though not without three squad members going critical (I was amazed none of them died). Fortunately I had two support guys. Everyone in my squad also went into the hospital for about a week once we came back.

Here's screenshots of the aftermath (never thought to take pics while it was happening...)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171361
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171345
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124171337

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2013, 17:53.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 17:17 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:33:
Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 09:33:
Loving these early morning updates, thanks Blue.

So superbowl picks fellas?

I'm going with SF by 4.

I want SF to win, but I'm going with the Ravens. They're playing like the Giants did both times they won the Superbowl, and it's hard to argue with the results. Killer wide receiver, a mediocre QB who can, however, get said receiver the ball and is playing for big money next year, and a tough defense, especially against the run... I don't think Kaepernick is going to be scrambling a lot, so that means he has to defeat them with his arm.

I'm not seeing it.

BAL 24 - SF 17.

Creston

You know what, I totally agree with you on everything. Baltimore has made a fool of me every time I picked against them this year. But I just have a feeling about SF winning, I can't explain it. Maybe it's just that questionable spanish omelette I made this morning, I guess we'll see

Questionable Spanish omelettes are always good omens for (non-)gambling purposes!

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 16:54 Cutter

Verno wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:33:
You know what, I totally agree with you on everything. Baltimore has made a fool of me every time I picked against them this year. But I just have a feeling about SF winning, I can't explain it. Maybe it's just that questionable spanish omelette I made this morning, I guess we'll see

Holy crap are you serious? You had a Spanish omelette for breakfast? How was it? Now I have a craving for one, or possibly some Huevos Rancheros. Anyway, SF by 10 is my feeling on this.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 15:55:
Ahh, Logan's Run... that and An American Werewolf in London had me lusting after Jenny Agutter for decades.

You and me both. Her and Sylvia Kristel always made me go rowr!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 15:55 Mr. Tact

Ahh, Logan's Run... that and An American Werewolf in London had me lusting after Jenny Agutter for decades.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 15:33 Verno

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:55:

I'm going with SF by 4.

I want SF to win, but I'm going with the Ravens. They're playing like the Giants did both times they won the Superbowl, and it's hard to argue with the results. Killer wide receiver, a mediocre QB who can, however, get said receiver the ball and is playing for big money next year, and a tough defense, especially against the run... I don't think Kaepernick is going to be scrambling a lot, so that means he has to defeat them with his arm.

I'm not seeing it.

BAL 24 - SF 17.

Creston

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

8. Misc. Jan 31, 2013, 15:23 Cutter

"The weather is unseasonably warm."
"The Unicorn requires sanctuary."

That marlin sinking the boat is wild. I wonder if anyone managed to record it on film? Must have scared the shit out of the guys on that boat. Going in the water with an angry marlin is not anywhere I'd want to be.

Life is a cabaret old chum. Always loved Michael York's work. Logan's Run, The Three Musketeers, The Island of Dr. Moreau, etc.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 14:55 Creston

I'm going with SF by 4.

I'm not seeing it.

BAL 24 - SF 17.

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2013, 14:37 Mingus

Re: Michael York illness.

It looks as if he is on some sort of steroid therapy to treat whatever he has. That usually causes the face to bloat like his.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo