Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wizardry Online Launches

Sony Online Entertainment announces the launch of Wizardry Online for North American and European gamers, offering a free-to-play MMORPG based on the classic fantasy gaming franchise. This producer's letter accompanies the launch, talking about the transition from the betas to going live, and the announcement talks of the various features, such as a form of permadeath, that leads them to claim this to be "the most hardcore fantasy MMORPG ever created" (carefully avoiding an invasion of EVE Online spacecraft by specifying a genre). Here's the feature list:

• Lost System: Not even death is easy in Wizardry Online. Players will need to donate to revive themselves -- and a poor donation runs the risk of failure. If they are unsuccessful twice, their character will vanish, said to be "Lost" and become unplayable forever. The player's experience will be noted on the Soul (account), allowing for an easier start for the next character.
  • Massive Dungeons: The game's dungeons present a variety of traps and powerful monsters for those who dare to invade their territory.
  • Skill Customization: Players can customize characters by combining skills from current or previous classes. With Wizardry Online's skill heredity system, players can create a fighter who can heal or a mage to steal items from monsters.
  • Bounty Hunt System: In addition to monsters, players will try to kill and rob other players for rare items. Such players are deemed Criminals and may attack anywhere and at any time. Players may offer a bounty such as gold for the death of any criminal and other players will compete to bring that character down.
  • Familiar Races: The game offers a variety of races known from previous Wizardry games, including humans, elves, porkuls, gnomes and dwarves. These races have different advantages towards weapons and skills.
  • Wizardry Online is now available as a "Free to Play. Your Way." game to all PC players in North America and Europe (optional content is available for purchase).

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

7. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 22:13 Saboth

Zanderat1 wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 21:05:
Sadly these guys have the Wizardry license. We need a proper Wizardry 9.

Heck yeah.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 22:06 Fleche

I was in beta...and it sucks. I still have my Wizardry 1 box from my Apple // and I'd rather play it sadly.  

5. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 21:59 Trevellian

I downloaded this through Steam and tried to play it.
So far I can't say much about it as I haven't got passed the MENU SCREEN.
You start the game up, menu screen has 2 fucking options. Start or Exit.
You press start and it just sits at "Connect" forever.
After being annoyed and searching the steam forums I found that people said "connect" means you're in a fucking goddamn queue, but they were apparently too lazy to bother with an ETA or Queue Number count.
Fucking brilliant waste of a good IP.

Edit: i forgot to mention, at said menu screen and at the launcher, there is no way to even set graphics options. i assume you have to wait till you're even in the game to set proper resolution. This MMO has failure written all over it.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2013, 22:15.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

4. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 21:40 Ozmodan

A big hearty ROFL is what this deserves. Biggest POS out of Japan in a long time. Makes the Final Fantasy travails look like a winner.  

3. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 21:26 Krizzen

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 20:59:
I tried to watch two of their vids and was turned off by the metal music. It was just too cheesy.

Wow! As much as I like heavy rock music, that was pretty bad. Way out of place, and the song just plain sucked! They should've just stuck with some classic high fantasy themed stuff.

2. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 21:05 Zanderat1

Sadly these guys have the Wizardry license. We need a proper Wizardry 9.  

1. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 20:59 Silicon Avatar

I tried to watch two of their vids and was turned off by the metal music. It was just too cheesy.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo