Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Legal Briefs

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 13:58 Necrophob

NKD wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 02:46:
Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 02:33:
Then you might see some stuff actually getting done.

It sounds nice, and most Americans support term limits in congress, but it doesn't work in the legislative branch. State legislatures that have term limits haven't worked out very well. In fact, I can't think of one state in the US with a term limited legislature that fares any better than our US congress. You get a revolving door of clueless fucks who get booted out just as they start to figure out what they are doing. And because they don't have to worry about working with the guy across the aisle from them for the next 30 years, they are even more reluctant to put aside partisan BS.

Maybe the solution is consecutive term limits. Let them serve two terms, then have to sit out a term. Then we wouldn't have states/districts where the same senator/congressman has run unopposed for decades, and maybe we'd get fresh ideas (yah right).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 RollinThundr

jimnms wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 23:13:
Can we please get these old senile fuckers out of congress and get some term limits!

I know right? Seeing Kerry retire after 29 years and talk about how the Senate isn't broken is laughable at best. I've never understood how the prez can only have 2 terms but the sky is the limit for everyone else. Forget spending caps by lobbyists and everything else before term limits are discussed. Forget six years too. It should be a max of two four year terms. Then you might see some stuff actually getting done.

And even less would get done in that short a time period. The wheels of government move slowly and inefficiently, 8 years I could see but even then lobbyist aren't going to stop lobbying.

If the politicians on both sides of the fence would stop playing bipartisan games you'd see stuff get done, though at the rate Obama and Boehner are going, both acting like spoiled babies, I don't see much getting done til either Obama is out or someone with enough charisma and leadership skills gets these two embarrassments of political parties to actually work together, and I'll tell you right now, it won't be Obama who does that, he's proven over the last 4 years he has no desire to work with the republicans, and I think in turn republicans aren't really willing to work with him either. Which is pathetic on both parties imo.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 07:27 InBlack

I say we nuke 'em from orbit. Yeah, nuke em from orbit. Its the only way to be sure...  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 02:46 NKD

Then you might see some stuff actually getting done.

It sounds nice, and most Americans support term limits in congress, but it doesn't work in the legislative branch. State legislatures that have term limits haven't worked out very well. In fact, I can't think of one state in the US with a term limited legislature that fares any better than our US congress. You get a revolving door of clueless fucks who get booted out just as they start to figure out what they are doing. And because they don't have to worry about working with the guy across the aisle from them for the next 30 years, they are even more reluctant to put aside partisan BS.

It doesn't stop lobbyists either. Lobbyists would love term limits. When the old guy gets the boot, the new guys with no incumbent name recognition are gonna take the lobbyist dick hard because it's the only way they can win. They have no proven record that people state or district wide are going to give a shit about.

One amusing example is here

As a California budget-watcher pointed out to me, when you get Arnold Schwarzenegger in a room with the leadership of the Senate and Assembly, Schwarzenegger has the most budget and legislative experience in the room. A guy who was starring in Terminator films as recently as 2003 is now the most seasoned elected official during one of the worst crises California has ever had.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 Cutter

jimnms wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 23:13:
Can we please get these old senile fuckers out of congress and get some term limits!

I know right? Seeing Kerry retire after 29 years and talk about how the Senate isn't broken is laughable at best. I've never understood how the prez can only have 2 terms but the sky is the limit for everyone else. Forget spending caps by lobbyists and everything else before term limits are discussed. Forget six years too. It should be a max of two four year terms. Then you might see some stuff actually getting done.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 02:19 PropheT

In the 2nd story that'd be the same Lamar Alexander who, among a few others tied at the same contribution limit, is only behind Saxby Chambliss in top campaign contributions provided by the NRA last cycle. It's nice to know you can sell your talking points to an actual Senator for so cheap these days, isn't it.

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2013, 23:23 Creston

Senator Lee, I admittedly didn't use the best words in my comment yesterday. Meant that you are a worthless fucking cockbag and that your presence in the Senate is a fucking affront to the US people.

Creston

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 30, 2013, 23:13 jimnms

Steam Profile

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo