Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TERA Subscription-Free Next Week

En Masse Entertainment announces next Tuesday is the exact start date for the subscription-free era in TERA, their MMORPG. Here's word on the change, and plans to support it with new content:

En Masse Entertainment confirms that its award-winning Action MMO, TERA, will be available without a subscription starting on February 5th. The game will be known as TERA: Rising, and can be played for free starting on that date, with in-game store and Elite options available for players who want to customize their gameplay experience. New players will be able to enjoy Standard status for free with no level cap or content restrictions and all players who have purchased the client will gain permanent Founder status with special privileges. This news has swept through the MMO community as fans – both new and lapsed – are eagerly anticipating the upcoming launch. Lapsed players are signing back up while new players pick up the game to ensure their eligibility for Founder status in anticipation of the new TERA: Rising options.

Adding to the community excitement over the game’s evolution, En Masse will launch new in-game content on February 5th, including the new Crucible of Flame multi-level dungeon, and a new three-on-three PvP battleground.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 18:35 Keilun

Alamar wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 16:46:
The problem with this kind of griping (that's apparently been going on for a decade), is that I don't know if it's true or not...

Mainly because you have many many levels of tolerance (or if you prefer, interest) to questing, and I can't tell if this game just has lots of typical quests, or that it's really grindy...

For example, I see the same complaints about every new MMO, including WoW expansions, and I disagree, so I don't know if the game is grindy or just has lots of quests : )

-Alamar

I played this game on NA release with my gf. I can confirm for sure that this is easily more grindy than WoW. The quests are not relevant at all and there is very little story or relevant story to them. It feels like Bluehole tried not to diverge too far from their initial Korean audience by making leveling quest driven. Instead, it's still very much a kill x monsters type game (a la Everquest). Most collect y items are really just kill x monsters type quests - except with the added monotony that drop rates are not 100%. Add to that the fact that there is no shared quest loot drops for party members and you're almost wishing you were playing solo.

WoW did a pretty good job of removing those really frustrating quests that took hours of RNG luck to get your quest drops, by implementing shared quest loot and just generally creating the 100% drop rate. You can call that easy mode or whatever, but either way it's quite a bit less grindy than Tera.

All that said, the combat was really really a ton of fun. Positioning and skill timing (and aiming) was actually relevant. In the end the most enjoyable part of the game is the BAMs (Big Ass Monsters) that are scattered across the world. These are essentially elites or mini-bosses that require a group to take down. The unfortunate part is that they don't appear consistently until about level 20 or so. We got so bored of questing that we wound up just BAM hunting which was a blast until we realized it was an ineffective method for leveling and ultimately wound up giving up because of the sheer boredom.

Perhaps there are other people who have more tolerance for this kind of grinding. Either way though, this game's going free to play, so there's not a whole lot of risk in trying it out. The combat alone is worth trying out if you haven't already, it makes you wish there were more MMOs with this level of action and pace.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 16:46 Alamar

CutterZane wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 11:15:
It's definitely a good-looking game for a MMO but in terms of gameplay (combat aside), it's horribly antiquated - if you can grind through the endless "kill 'x' monsters" and "collect 'y' items" quests, you have more patience and time to burn than I do. It just seems odd for a game that only made its mark in recent years that it recycles MMO conventions that got stale about a decade ago instead of trying something a little more innovative.

The problem with this kind of griping (that's apparently been going on for a decade), is that I don't know if it's true or not...

Mainly because you have many many levels of tolerance (or if you prefer, interest) to questing, and I can't tell if this game just has lots of typical quests, or that it's really grindy...

For example, I see the same complaints about every new MMO, including WoW expansions, and I disagree, so I don't know if the game is grindy or just has lots of quests : )

-Alamar

8. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 16:39 saluk

WoW questing wasn't innovative exactly, but it was a different design focused on questing that hadn't been pushed in that way. It marked a clear boundary between mmos which tried to immerse you in a freeform environment, and more accessible mmos which felt more like single player rpgs. It attempted and largely succeeded to eliminate moments where players think to themselves, "hmm, I'm not sure what to do now, maybe I should log off".

That model's been taken to such an extreme, now players think "Oh game, you want me to do X? Stop being so bossy! I'm going to log off."

You could eliminate many of the WoW quest problems with design without changing the systems up like GW2 by the way. Less repetitive quests, less chains, easier access, more flexible turn-ins etc. XP for healing people...

Tera does not do this It's one of the worst uses of WoW's questing model I've seen. Even the combat didn't impress me, it felt like it was trying to be both a hotbar system and a realtime system without being great at either.

7. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 15:37 wtf_man

Yakubs wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 15:19:
I don't really know of an MMO that has an innovative quest system since WoW.

There is nothing innovative about WOW's questing. Other MMOs did it before... the difference is WoW gave your retarded exclamation points over quest-giver's heads, and made questing worth way more progression "experience" than just killing random mobs (hence grinding quests instead of grinding mobs).

I like the "automatically cooperating" feature of GW2, rather than the typical "compete for mobs/resources in an area" model. That was a hellofalot more innovative than anything WoW ever did... and should have been done long ago.

As for Tera... I don't mind the bikini armor and high heels... but the oversized weapons, anime/jrpg hairstyles, and some of the pokemon cutsie races / creatures... are a major turn off to me.

6. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 15:34 RollinThundr

Yakubs wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 15:19:
KS wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 11:26:
The quest system wouldn't be so bad if people could easily share quests. Unfortunately, it adheres to a rigid prerequisite system where almost every quest is a step in a long chain.

So you can only share a quest if that person has done the immediately previous quest, which is never the case.

Basically you have to arrive at an outpost with quests at the exact same time as someone else.

This exacerbates the need for soloability, thus dumbing down the game, making the online group feature even more irrelevant.

The fun is in groups -- why do these games do this? As de facto single-player games, they are terrible.

Well, it's very difficult to make a dynamic and fun grouping system, is why. I mean, look at a game that went the opposite direction - Guild Wars 2. Their idea of "quests" are showing up at Heart locations on the minimap and doing the very same "kill x" or "gather y" quests that suck in any other game -- the only difference being you're automatically cooperating with other people in the same area.

lol and how was WoW innovative in anyway? The game is essentially a Everquest rip off down to it's very core.

5. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 15:19 Yakubs

KS wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 11:26:
The quest system wouldn't be so bad if people could easily share quests. Unfortunately, it adheres to a rigid prerequisite system where almost every quest is a step in a long chain.

So you can only share a quest if that person has done the immediately previous quest, which is never the case.

Basically you have to arrive at an outpost with quests at the exact same time as someone else.

This exacerbates the need for soloability, thus dumbing down the game, making the online group feature even more irrelevant.

The fun is in groups -- why do these games do this? As de facto single-player games, they are terrible.

Well, it's very difficult to make a dynamic and fun grouping system, is why. I mean, look at a game that went the opposite direction - Guild Wars 2. Their idea of "quests" are showing up at Heart locations on the minimap and doing the very same "kill x" or "gather y" quests that suck in any other game -- the only difference being you're automatically cooperating with other people in the same area.

4. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 KS

3. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 11:15 CutterZane

It's definitely a good-looking game for a MMO but in terms of gameplay (combat aside), it's horribly antiquated - if you can grind through the endless "kill 'x' monsters" and "collect 'y' items" quests, you have more patience and time to burn than I do. It just seems odd for a game that only made its mark in recent years that it recycles MMO conventions that got stale about a decade ago instead of trying something a little more innovative.  

2. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 10:50 Jivaro

There is a lot of TERA to like. There is a lot of TERA to dislike. Very polarizing game. I personally really like the combat style and crafting system, so the gameplay makes the game fun for me. The things that other people dislike are legitimate gripes though. This game has a lot of absurdity that some folks can't get past...and it has an equal amount of unfulfilled potential. Sadly.  

1. Re: TERA Subscription-Free Next Week Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 wtf_man

I never really had any interest in this one, but I might actually try it, due to their non-restrictive F2P attitude.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo