Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm going to have to go on a hunt today to track down a noise in my office which has either just begun, or at least just become noticeable to the point of annoyance. It's a fairly high-pitched whine coming from my PC, so I assume it's a cooling fan, and hopefully a little compressed air will take care of it, though it's always possible something will need replacing. I keep thinking this entire years-old machine will need replacing one of these days, but it keeps trucking along like the Terminator, and every time I think it's developed some fatal issue, I find a cure just as soon. Maybe this time it's terminal just because I'm assuming it isn't, and the fates just love to mess with assumptions. We shall see.

Assumed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Lockehorn.
Stories: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day.
Surfer Garrett McNamara 'rides world record 100ft wave' in Portugal.
Science: Late Lunching Can Slow Weight Loss.
Images: All Lens Flare Everything- Best JJ Abrams Directing 'Star Wars' Spoofs.
You are doing it wrong.
If you're gonna photobomb a kiss do it right....
Media: 84 year old Grandpa playing video games!.
Testing the Bay Lights. Thanks Slashdot.
Conan & Andy Dub Over China's Most Popular Soap Opera.
Follow-up: PETA uses Manti Teo's fake girlfriend to peddle fake chicken for Super Bowl parties.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I hate looking for this stuff. I seem to be more sensitive to those noises than most. I've actually been hoping that as I get older my hearing would get worse and I wouldn't be so sensitive to it. Hasn't seem to happen yet... both good and bad news.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2013, 09:59 InBlack

My bet. Video card fan. Happened to me a week ago, took the card out, vacuum cleaned it, then had to physically brush every single fan blade with a toothbrush and presto. It still acts up every now and again but its much more tolerable...  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2013, 09:21 dj LiTh

Ahhh i know what ya mean Blue, my last computer just wouldnt die so i effectivly had to put a DNR on it and pulled the plug when it wouldnt even die properly. Although all i did really was a upgrade (cpu/mobo/ram +another gpu for SLI).  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2013, 09:00 Verno

Whines are usually a fan bearing, coil or bad cap in my experience. At least they are easy to troubleshoot.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo