Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released

A note from last week on penguin-centric Phoronix reveals that Valve has made a low-key release of a Linux edition of the original Half-Life, saying this is still considered a beta, which may explain why the Steam page for the classic first-person shooter still only shows Windows support. Cult of Mac adds that the game has likewise received an OS X edition, which is also not listed, but available in the library of those who own the game. Thanks Polygon.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 29, 2013, 09:16 wtf_man

UConnBBall wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 18:45:
That said... porting to both OSX and Linux isn't that far of a stretch since OSX is Darwin Unix under the hood. The Kernels are different but the file structure and many of the libraries are similar. So they then get another OSX game on Steam.

Actually they both use OpenGl and that is the big bonus. The Kernals are both Unixish but the file systems and the file format are more different then it looks like under the hood. Glad that we are seeing the start of the end of Linux hate?

I was referring to the directory structure having similarities (/bin, /sbin, /dev, /tmp, /etc, /usr, /var, etc.), not the file system technology (EXT3, EXT4, HFS+, etc.)

And yes, OpenGL, too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 19:13 =JpS=SgtRock

Panickd wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:50:
While I applaud this I am not sure it was necessary. On the other hand even my Atom based Linux box with the shitty Intel graphics should be able to run a game that old and I do already own it so...

Even better, Valve is very actively working on it. I just had an update delivered today!

BTW, there's also a Counter-Strike beta out, too.

14. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 19:12 TheEmissary

Dev wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 19:01:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 18:51:
Dev wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 17:40:
NegaDeath wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 16:07:
I'm still confident the first Service Pack (or "Blue" or whatever it is they're doing) for 8 will make some course corrections to alleviate customer complaints. They make stupid decisions but they usually reverse course after enough complaints.
Why the heck would you expect a service pack to change things? They ALREADY made it more restrictive even after feedback from the beta. For instance, you used to be able to set a registry key to have it boot to desktop mode early in the beta. Then MS decided (AFTER feedback complaining about metro) that they didn't actually want anyone booting to desktop and disabled that registry key, so you were FORCED to boot to metro first when starting the computer.

We will be LUCKY if ms decides to relent a bit on the next windows.

Microsoft will have to change whether it fits their vision for Windows or not given the reception of Windows 8. Windows 8 kind of hit with a thud and they are blaming everyone but themselves at the moment. They have to sober up and realize it isn't want the consumers, business, or corporate users wanted out of the OS.

I really don't think Microsoft can take another failure or lousy launch again without some permanent damage. Software developers are starting branch out to other platforms to avoid vendor lock.

Users were slow to migrate to vista too. MS didn't back down and return to an XP style interface. After 7 came out, most people ended up adopting and adjusting, and many businesses have migrated or are in the process of migrating to 7.

The push for multiplatform is far more due to the mobile/tablet market exploding and has been going on a while than anything to do with MS vender locking.

The problems with Vista due to the changes in the driver model that caused the reports of instability with some hardware. That was mostly fixed with a service pack but the damage was done. Couple that with the higher hardware requirements compared to XP is what hurt Vista.

The problem with Vista wasn't the UI as didn't really change the paradigm drastically since Windows 95. Windows 8 on the other hand suffers from lot of questionable UI decisions that they could have fixed based on beta feedback.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2013, 19:18.

13. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 19:01 Dev

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 18:51:
I'm still confident the first Service Pack (or "Blue" or whatever it is they're doing) for 8 will make some course corrections to alleviate customer complaints. They make stupid decisions but they usually reverse course after enough complaints.
Why the heck would you expect a service pack to change things? They ALREADY made it more restrictive even after feedback from the beta. For instance, you used to be able to set a registry key to have it boot to desktop mode early in the beta. Then MS decided (AFTER feedback complaining about metro) that they didn't actually want anyone booting to desktop and disabled that registry key, so you were FORCED to boot to metro first when starting the computer.

Microsoft will have to change whether it fits their vision for Windows or not given the reception of Windows 8. Windows 8 kind of hit with a thud and they are blaming everyone but themselves at the moment. They have to sober up and realize it isn't want the consumers, business, or corporate users wanted out of the OS.

I really don't think Microsoft can take another failure or lousy launch again without some permanent damage. Software developers are starting branch out to other platforms to avoid vendor lock.

Users were slow to migrate to vista too. MS didn't back down and return to an XP style interface. After 7 came out, most people ended up adopting and adjusting, and many businesses have migrated or are in the process of migrating to 7.

The push for multiplatform is far more due to the mobile/tablet market exploding and has been going on a while than anything to do with MS vender locking.

12. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 18:51 TheEmissary

11. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 28, 2013, 18:45 UConnBBall

That said... porting to both OSX and Linux isn't that far of a stretch since OSX is Darwin Unix under the hood. The Kernels are different but the file structure and many of the libraries are similar. So they then get another OSX game on Steam.

Actually they both use OpenGl and that is the big bonus. The Kernals are both Unixish but the file systems and the file format are more different then it looks like under the hood. Glad that we are seeing the start of the end of Linux hate?

10. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 17:40 Dev

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2013, 18:25.

9. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 16:15 Beamer

But then again with Steve "Worst CEO of the year" Ballmer at the helm you never know.

That's the same guy that said that Microsoft will sell the Xbox brand to Barnes & Noble within 2 years.

While he's got an impressive background, his views on Microsoft seem... tainted. B&N would love Xbox, and it's the one brand Microsoft has worth anything to anyone else, but B&N would have to leverage itself to death to get the funds.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 16:07 NegaDeath

But then again with Steve "Worst CEO of the year" Ballmer at the helm you never know.

7. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 14:43 Panickd

Dev wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 12:42:
InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 10:29:
Im betting Windows7 will be the last Microsoft OS that will grace my PC.
Or if MS does what they've done in the past... Every other windows release sux, the other ones are much better.

Vista was bleh, 7 was good. 98SE was good, ME was ugh, and XP was great.

While this is true Microsoft recently expressed an interest in doing yearly releases of Windows after 8. So rather than see them muck things up with one release and then refine them in the next we'll see them constantly mucking up and refining things simultaneously!

I'd honestly be OK with a yearly release if they drop the price to MacOS levels.

6. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 10:29:
Im betting Windows7 will be the last Microsoft OS that will grace my PC.
Or if MS does what they've done in the past... Every other windows release sux, the other ones are much better.

Vista was bleh, 7 was good. 98SE was good, ME was ugh, and XP was great.

Just depends if they stick with what is already failing or not. They doubled down on xbox 360 when xbox 1 failed hard moneywise (lost them billions overall, which I guess they counted as cost of entering market). And in the end, I believe it paid off. So if MS looks at sticking with trying to wall people into the MS app store, they may well double down on the next windows and do something like lock out desktop mode entirely. If MS they start making a bunch from the app store, or think they can make a bunch of they do it, they will probably do it. Or maybe they will come to their senses and make the metro interface a little more friendly and give easier access to desktop.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2013, 14:09.

5. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 InBlack

The only way they are going to get ANY big name publishers and developers on board is if they release a Linux based console system. One which would be as popular as the Xbox or PS3. Which as far as I know is something that they are planning to do.

Valve saves the PC. Again. Gotta give credit where credit is due, these guys are visionaries, people will be buying consoles which would basically be mini PCs running on Linux.

I hope they pull it off. I really do. Im betting Windows7 will be the last Microsoft OS that will grace my PC.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:58:
While I applaud this I am not sure it was necessary. On the other hand even my Atom based Linux box with the shitty Intel graphics should be able to run a game that old and I do already own it so...

I suspect valve is trying to lead by example before encouraging fellow devs to do the same on steam.

Agreed. This has more to do with their new Steam "console" than anything.

As for the graphics... I just started re-playing Half-Life: Source with the Enhanced Mod... and that brings the game into Unreal 2.5-ish era graphics, which isn't bad. I also disabled the music in the mod so I'd get the original game music. I much rather play this than Black Mesa's "re-envisioning" of the game.

3. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 09:58 nin

I suspect valve is trying to lead by example before encouraging fellow devs to do the same on steam.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 SirKnight

Good to see this. I still go back and play the original HL sometimes.  

1. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 Panickd

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo